We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget dinner/takeaway near Grasmere?

Cambridge
Level Contributor
81 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Budget dinner/takeaway near Grasmere?

We are visiting Grasmere in a couple of weeks but are on a bit of a budget. Are there any good value places for dinner in Grasmere or nearby? We could do fish + chips takeaway, or a cheap pub pie and chips. Looking at about £5 per person?

I think there is a chip shop in Keswick but it seems a bit far to go. Anything like that in the area around Grasmere/ Ambleside/ Windermere/ Skelwith?

Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget dinner/takeaway near Grasmere?

To be honest, most chippies not in touristy areas charge more than a fiver for fish and chips these days, and the lakes chippies have a tendency to charge considerably more. Even cheap pub grub is no more, you'll be looking at the best part of a tenner for pie and chips.

However, all is not lost, there is a Greggs bakery in Ambleside. You should be able to get pies there fairly cheap.

Cambridge
Level Contributor
81 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget dinner/takeaway near Grasmere?

Thanks for your reply. I did fear that most places would be a little pricey but a Greggs would be fine. We just want some hot filling food after a hard days walk without having to cook.

Edited: 18 April 2011, 09:26
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
379 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget dinner/takeaway near Grasmere?

Well i wouldn't be going to Greggs then. Its food if you can call it that is bloody awful.

Whitehaven
Level Contributor
153 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget dinner/takeaway near Grasmere?

Their is a chippy in Ambleside,not sure of the prices though.You can' get a lot for a fiver per person anywhere now.

Tynemouth, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget dinner/takeaway near Grasmere?

Hi

My husband and I have just got back from a little break in Ambleside. We got chips and mushy peas from the walnut fish bar. It cost £5 for both of us and the portions were huge and they were lovely.

Edited: 07 June 2011, 19:01
Reply to: Budget dinner/takeaway near Grasmere?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted