We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting Kendal for two days

Stockport, United...
1 post
Save Topic
visiting Kendal for two days

Hi Everyone,

Very excited that we have finally booked a two night stay in Kendal!

We want to capture everything there is to do in Kendal and the other lakes please

We are a young couple with no kids and wont mind a "bit" of daily walking!! what towns are worth a visit, things to explore etc thankng you all xx

Level Contributor
3,432 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting Kendal for two days

There arent any Lakes in Kendal......

Personally I would spend an hour or two in Kendal, then head into the District, from Kendal I would stick to the Southern Lakes. How about a few hours in Windermere then a stroll up Orrest Head? 20 minutes and gives a cracking view, and famous as Wainwright's first view of the Lake District. The other easy walk that springs to mind is to catch the steamer on Coniston and walk back up the west bank.

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting Kendal for two days

Scout Scar, immediately to the west of Kendal is an excellent viewpoint and will help you orientate yourself. Take a drive up there at sunset if its a nice day. Kendal Castle is also worth a look.

Best restaurants in Kendal are the New Moon on Highgate and Deja Vu on Stricklandgate. Best pubs are Vats Bar at the Brewery Arts Centre and the Castle on Castle Street.

Sizergh Castle and Farm shop are also worth a visit and the Strickland Arms at the entrance to the Castle is a good food pub

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,445 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting Kendal for two days

I think most people would say that for visiting the Lake District then Kendal is not really the best choice. It is not even in the Lake District National Park.

Better choices would be Ambleside, Keswick, Windermere etc.

Having said that, there is a good road, A591, that can get you into the Lake District (near Windermere) and you can explore the Lake District from there.

If you want a excellent short walk to get you in the mood, then park at Windermere train station car park, and take the short walk up to Orrest Head.

This will only take about 20 minutes (people walk their dogs up there) and on a clear day the views are amazing.

http://www.english-lakes.com/orrest_head.html

Right by Windermere Train station and car park is a tourist information centre. Here you can get loads of maps and guides to the Lake District.

They will also have books you can buy showing shorts walks (or drives) round the area.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,445 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting Kendal for two days

As you are only there two days not sure how much you will be able to do.

While the Lake District may look small it is about 40 miles from top to bottom, and almost as much across. And once you get off the main roads then driving can be very slow and tiring.

So as it is your first visit I would stick to main roads and the East side of the Lake District (save the West for another visit).

The three largest towns in the Lake District are Windermere, Ambleside and Keswick. While they are all nice they are mainly places to use as a base to walk (or drive) around the area.

Each has some tourist attractions, but really it is the fells and lakes you want to see.

The town of Windermere is a bit touristy but can be quite pleasant down by the lake (if it is not too busy). You can get a boat trip that goes up and down the lake which will be a good intro the area.

Kewick is also quite nice, and a short walk out of the town is Derwent Water, and the area beside the lake is quite pleasant.

Just south of Keswick is the Bowder Stone, a huge stone well worth going to see (just a short walk from the car park).

www.visitcumbria.com/kes/the-bowder-stone.htm

Make sure you bring some stout shoes or boots, Many Lake District paths are rough and muddy so if possible you need boots with ankle support (easy to twist an ankle on a stone sticking out the ground).

An anorak (and rucksack) would also be advisible as it can rain in the Lake District.

If you need any more info just ask.

Edited: 17 August 2010, 08:50
Solihull
Level Contributor
4,445 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting Kendal for two days

Just noticed user GEJP had already mentioned Orrest Head.

I guess my suggestion reinforces it.

One other thing, when you get to the tourist information centre it may be worth buying a full map of the Lake Distict (or maybe one just showing the Eastern side).

The Ordnance Survey maps are excellent, showing every major road, minor road, path, town, village, attractions etc .

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting Kendal for two days

Another possibility would be to drive into the Lake District on the A591 towards Windermere, and then head right onto the A592 aka the Kirkstone Pass towards Ullswater. It might be quite a slow drive, but it will be worth it for the cracking scenery you'll drive through.

Once you get to Ullswater, you have the most amazing choice of hiking you can do at all levels of difficulty, or you could just take a cruise on the Ullswater steamers.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visiting Kendal for two days

I'd say Kendal is a perfectly good choice for a base for a visit to the Lakes. Sure, it's not *in* the National Park, but the NP boundary is only a mile away. You get a good choice of restaurants, bars, etc. which remain open year round as there is no 'season' in Kendal. Windermere is easily accessible on the train from Kendal, and I would second the Orrest Head suggestion as that is really near Windermere station.

My only concern would be that 2 nights isn't really enough. :)

8. Re: visiting Kendal for two days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2011, 08:22
Get answers to your questions about Kendal