We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A flattish walk

Level Contributor
57 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
A flattish walk

Hi, Coming to Keswick on Wednesday for 3 days. We love walking, I can do the miles but I'm not too good if it gets too steep, gentle ascents are ok. Any suggestions for good, circular gentle walks? Thanks

Level Contributor
29,470 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A flattish walk

Hello, I had to laugh, a Norfolk Lass asking for a flattish walk!!

IF you google, lake district walks, you will find lots of websites, some drawn up by locals who love the areas. You might be able to contact them direct and ask for their advice. Here are a couple to get you started:

Level Contributor
883 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A flattish walk

Hi,i can suggest a few walks in Keswick.

From Keswick town head towards Hope Park (10 mins walk),then from Hope Park to Keswick Theatre,pass the Theatre and head towards Derwentwater passing Derwentwater boat landings.From here your walk will begin.If you follow the path straight ahead you will head for Friars Crag which has wonderful views.This is a nice flat walk.

From Derwentwater boat landings,head towards the path but turn left as you enter,this is a path that is flat and is a good long walk.

A flat popular circular walk of 7 miles runs along the Old Railway that follows the River Greta from the north side of Keswick to Threlkeld.

A good magazine to buy is country walking,they do sometimes show walks around the Keswick/Lake District area.

Tourist information centre in Keswick-:

The Moot hall,Keswick,Cumbria.CA12-5JR.

tel no-:017687 72645.www.lake-district.gov.uk

Enjoy your 3 days of walking in Keswick.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A flattish walk

I can't think of many flat walks around Keswick, but

around Derwentwater was always one of my favourite walks - it undulates but there are no huge hills to climb. The nicest part is the eastern shore so you could shorten the walk by taking the bus to or from Lodore at the southern end of the lake. If the launches are running this early in the year then they serve the landing stages right around the lake so you can choose a length of walk to suit.

Another flattish option is along Borrowdale from Grange to Seatoller, again using the bus one way.

Level Contributor
57 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A flattish walk

Thank you for your helpful comments will definitely have a go at the walks around Derwent water. Us norfolk folk have to be careful cos our noses bleed standing on a chair. Joking apart North Norfolk is fairly undulating and is not as flat as people think.

Level Contributor
307 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A flattish walk

Take the Lake Steamer from the Theatre by the Lake pick up point over to the opposite shore by Hawes End, and walk along the lakeside path (under Cat Bells - with the lake on your left.) This side of the lake is much quieter, and very picturesque. Keep walking until you get to the end of the lake and then the path cuts accross the marshy bit at the end back to the opposite side of the lake. If you get tired, take the bus or boat back to Keswick.

Was down Borrowdale yesterday - weather lovely, snow on the hills, blue sky. Hope it holds out for your trip.

Another fairly gentle walk with a bit of a climb is Latrigg, not too challenging and great view from the top.

6. Re: A flattish walk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 23:18
Get answers to your questions about Keswick
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question