We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From London to Keswick - Drive or train?

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
From London to Keswick - Drive or train?

I'm planning a trip with my partner from central london to the Lake district from the 3rd of June for 3-4 nights. Some forum searching has led to me to Keswick as one of the best spots to visit.

I was thinking of hiring a car to Keswick but I think that costs will be higher than taking a train. Does anyone know the fastest way to get to Keswick from London otherwise?

If it is not suitable, would you recommend renting a car to explore within lake district? If so what are the average costs like?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From London to Keswick - Drive or train?

Also does anyone know of any tours starting from Keswick to the rest of the lake district? We would much prefer the most relaxing and convenient way of travelling to see the sights...therefore the car/tour/walk dilemma!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From London to Keswick - Drive or train?

You can take the train from London to Penrith. There is a Stagecoach bus from Penrith station up to Keswick. It runs every hour, takes about 45 minutes for the trip. It's a pretty drive.

uk
Level Contributor
384 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From London to Keswick - Drive or train?

Hi - its lovely to catch the boat across the lake to Hawse End and climb Catbells - its a relatively easy climb by Lake District standards and you get great views of Derwentwater, Skiddaw etc.

Other nice short walks in Borrowdale are to Watendlath and Castle Crag.

For tours - worth a look at www.mountain-goat.com as they do minibus tours - even if you bring your own car or decide to rent when you get there, their routes look like a good basis to plan a day's drive!

Definitely worth trying to get out to the Western Lakes especially Wastwater as its a lot quieter and less touristy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From London to Keswick - Drive or train?

many thanks will certainly look into them all

5. Re: From London to Keswick - Drive or train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Keswick