We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

derwent water

Which Keswick hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
derwent water

how long does it take to walk around derwent water

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: derwent water

I've not alked all the way round in one go bit I have ealked lots of bit sof it. So looking at my trusty OS map I's say it's about 10 miles all the way round. Allowing a bit of time for admiring the views and a couple of rests, it should take maybe 5 hours.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,802 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: derwent water

Hi magpiemick.

How long is a piece of string?

It is between 9 and 10 miles around.

Time it will take, depends on how fast you walk, and how many times you stop.

I would think 4 hours at a easy pace but under 3 hours if you get a move on.

ian480.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: derwent water

Sorry - looks like my "w" key is on the blink. Meant to say "I've not walked all the way round in one go but I have walked lots of bits of it"

manchester
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: derwent water

Its a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question as it depends alot on your physical condition and also whether you are the type to stop and look at wildlife or whatever, but as a guide i'd say about 2 hours for the average youngish person around the shoreline. There are a couple of options to vary the terrain by taking the path over the crags on the east side for example, these will add time of course (say around extra 45mins). There is a launch which runs fairly regularly and stops at intervals around the lake so you could always get that back to your start point if you find yourself running short of time.

www.keswick-launch.co.uk/map_derwentwater.htm

There is also a reasonably regular bus along the east shoreline which you could utilise if necessary.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,802 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: derwent water

IMO, When it comes to walking. A average oldish person, is fitter and faster then a average youngish person.;-0.

ian480.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: derwent water

Be warned that the trail gets rather marshy on the southern end. Your boots will be muddy! But it is a lovely walk.

Keswick, United...
Level Contributor
241 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: derwent water

I would allow 3-4 hours for an easy pace. If you get fed up pick up the launch: there are no hills.

Edinburgh (Scotland)
Level Contributor
217 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: derwent water

Ate there any pubs on the route

England
Level Contributor
200 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: derwent water

Hardly a pub, but we did have sandwiches and drinks in the bar at The Lodore Falls Hotel. There did seem to be a wedding going on at the time but they were happy to serve us.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: derwent water

As others have said, it depends entirely on how fast you walk and whether you stop to admire the views, have a picnic, go somewhere for lunch etc.

I don't remember exactly how long it took me when I did it a couple of years ago, but I do remember that it's a lovely walk with beautiful views, and a great thing to do if you want a nice walk minus the steep uphill bits.

Get answers to your questions about Keswick