We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants in Keswick area

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants in Keswick area

Hi Folks

I'm going to be staying in Thornthwaite later this month, and would like to go out for at least one really good meal while I'm there.

I've been to Underscar Manor before, and thought it was excellent. Anything else of that quality in the area? I've seen people rave about Morrels in this forum before: how does that compare with Underscar Manor? Better, not as good, about the same, or just different in a personal-preference sort of way?

Anything else in the area that's worth a try?

Many thanks

NM

Keswick, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants in Keswick area

Morrells is fabulous but have also heard rave reviews about Lyzzick Hall Hotel. Enjoy.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants in Keswick area

Well, in the end we went to Morrels. Maybe we'll try Lyzzick Hall next time we go. In case anyone else is interested in how Morrels compares with Underscar Manor, read on.

I liked Morrels very much. The food was excellent. In terms of my overall impression of quality, really very similar to Underscar Manor, although the style was slightly (but not hugely) different, Morrels having a slightly more adventurous style and UM being more traditional. Both places use good quality locally sourced ingredients and know how to cook them to perfection.

The quality of service at Morrels was noticeably less good than at UM. There wasn't too much wrong with it, and we didn't have anything that could reasonably be called a problem (with the possible exception of it taking longer than I would have liked to attract a waiter's attention), but at UM the service was extremely professional, and Morrels didn't match that quality. For example, at Morrels they had to ask who ordered which dish when they brought the food, whereas at UM they already knew, and at Morrels we had to pour our own wine (that's actually something I find a bit disappointing in a restaurant with food of this quality), whereas waiters appeared out of nowhere to top up glasses as required at UM.

Of course, the extra service costs money. Our meal at Morrels was considerably cheaper than our meal at UM. Morrels get particularly high marks for the very reasonable prices on their wine list. We had a vintage Louis Roederer pink Champagne for only about 60 quid, which is amazingly good value. I suspect they have a policy of marking up their wines by a fixed absolute amount rather than a percentage, which makes the more expensive wines very good value.

The setting at Morrels seems a bit ordinary in comparison with the elegant country house setting at UM.

So, if anyone else is considering which place to go to, my advice would be to choose Morrels if the food is what matters most to you and you're paying for it yourself, particularly if you like to have the higher-end wines. However, if you appreciate the extra sense of occasion that you get from highly professional service and a nice setting, then you might think UM is worth the extra money.

3. Re: Restaurants in Keswick area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2010, 05:16