We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in Sept

Hartford...
Level Contributor
68 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
weather in Sept

We are spending several days in Sept at HF Derwent water place, planning on hiking. How cold can the weather get? Hard to pack for both this and traveling south to sightsee.

Thanks for any suggestions!

BP

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather in Sept

take layers that you can add to or take off, short sleeved tee shirt, long sleeved shirt over it, one woolly or fleece.

hat and gloves definitely.

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather in Sept

Don't forget waterproofs!

Lake District...
Level Contributor
625 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather in Sept

It can get cold & windy on the fells so you will need to carry a good fleece or primaloft/down jacket/gillet, gloves and hat even if only for when you sit down for lunch.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather in Sept

The weather can really do anything in September, so best be prepared. It could be beautifully hot and sunny, or the weather could be truly grim. If you're going to be hiking up some of the higher peaks, it's not at all impossible that you could experience freezing temperatures.

Layers are definitely the way to go. And make sure the outer ones are waterproof. Also, don't forget your sun cream in case it's better than you thought!

You can now get a weather forecast about 10 days in advance (although I wouldn't rely on it too much towards the end of that period) here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2645756

It's also well worth looking at the fell forecast. It doesn't give you as much advance notice, but it does tell you what sort of weather to expect on the fell tops.

metoffice.gov.uk/public/…

Good luck!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: weather in Sept

Temperatures are likely to be no more than a couple of degrees lower than further south. It's the combination of damp and wind that can make it feel much colder. Waterproof is what you need.

I'll also mention walking boots. I think a lot of advice overplays the need for boots, but you'll not find much hiking that is completely on made paths. You need to be prepared for slippery rocks and mud.

But please don't think I'm trying to put you off. It's great, and you'll be fine.

6. Re: weather in Sept

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Keswick