We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just curious...

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
195 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Just curious...

I typically take the train from Keswick to London. But, my hotel in London is near Kew Gardens. I'd have to take the train to Central London and then back out again. Seems like a lot of wasted time.

Is driving there total madness? Would it be feasible to drive to the outskirts and take the tube the rest of the way in? I was thinking it might not only be faster, but I could also get some sightseeing done.

How long does it take to drive vs. taking the train?

Or should I stick with my original plan?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
195 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just curious...

Of course, I meant from Penrith to London... but you knew what I meant. :)

London
Level Contributor
10,205 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just curious...

It's not total madness, but driving will be more hassle than you may suspect.

The only sightseeing you would see is bumper to bumper traffic for seven or eight hours. Your route takes you past heavily populated parts of Lancashire then the Birmingham conurbation, and unless you plan to pass at 3am you can expect either slow traffic or horrendous traffic. Don't expect driving to beat the train on this journey.

The other consideration is what would you do with the car at the London end?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,013 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just curious...

If you want something slightly different you could take a train route that avoids central London by changing trains at Watford Junction & Willesden Junction

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just curious...

It's true that it's a bit of a hassle to get to Kew from where the train from Penrith gets into London. But I think driving just to avoid that hassle would be misguided. Driving is certainly hassle.

If I were you, I'd take the train, sit back with a nice glass of wine, and enjoy the scenery. There are a number of ways to get to Kew, and changing before you get to London as Alanrow suggestions would certainly be one worth taking a good look at.

The only good reason I can think of to drive is if you particularly want to stop off at some places between Penrith and London and want a bit of flexibility to your schedule, or if you don't manage to buy the cheap train tickets, it turns out to be cheaper to drive, and you're on a tight budget.

Lake District...
Level Contributor
611 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just curious...

Of course there is also the bus/coach if you have the time.

9hrs and approx £20 - £30 Keswick to London Victoria

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
195 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just curious...

Wow... you guys are giving me a lot to think about.

Alanrow... what would that route look like?

Would it take me from Penrith to W. Junction and then would I catch a tube to my hotel?

Thanks for giving me a heads up about all the traffic. I guess I won't be doing the drive. :) The forums have been crucial to my trip this year - I'm learning a lot along the way!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
195 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just curious...

I found this site that helps you track a multi-leg journey:

http://www.transportdirect.info

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just curious...

I have driven from Crewe to London several times using the M6/M40/M42 and NEVER been stuck in bumper to bumper traffic - and I travelled during daylight hours. Bumper to bumper is worse case scenario, but it doesn't necessarily have to be like that at all. If you want to avoid Birmingham altogether take the toll road - might cost a few quid, but the roads are clear. The only other area I've found to be problematic was junctions 23 to 19 (travelling south) of the M6 - especially around the Thelwall viaduct (junction 20/21a).

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
195 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just curious...

Many thanks, Vicki!

10. Re: Just curious...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Keswick