We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Liverpool to Keswick then next day to Durham

Hunter Valley NSW...
Level Contributor
153 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Liverpool to Keswick then next day to Durham

Hi,

Luckily found an old post that suggested if driving from Liverpool to Keswick probably best to just zip up motorway and spend all of our time enjoying Keswick. This is what I am going to do as the walks and launch around the lake sound wonderful. so that part is sorted.

we unfortunately only have the one night in Keswick as need to be in Durham by the next afternoon so the boys can attend the ashes test.

My question is what route would you suggest we take. I am wanting to take all day to get to Durham (realise is just over 2 hrs direct) so hoping we can stop off at some scenic areas or even manage a walk or two along the way. Or are we best to spend the morning doing another walk around the lake then just driving direct?

thank for your suggestions.

regards

Suz

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,556 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Liverpool to Keswick then next day to Durham

Head for the beautiful Lake district www.lakedistricttouristguide.com you can even visit William Wordsworth house at Cockermouth.

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,336 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Liverpool to Keswick then next day to Durham

< Luckily found an old post that suggested if driving from Liverpool to Keswick probably best to just zip up motorway and spend all of our time enjoying Keswick. >

I wouldn't, I would "zip up" the centre of the Lakes. The only time you should need to avoid doing that is most summer weekends when Windermere becomes clogged with traffic

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Liverpool to Keswick then next day to Durham

Drive North from Liverpool on the M6 joining either from the M58 or the M62 depending on where you are staying in Liverpool

Then when you reach Junction 36 on the M6 leave and take the A591 towards Windermere and then onto Keswick

This will take you through the Lake District and give you plenty of opportunities to see other Lakes, Windermere, Rydal and Thirlmere, take a break, have a walk. And Enjoy some scenery en route instead of driving over the barren Shap Fell.

then get to Keswick later in the day, spend the afternoon in Keswick and the next morning there before driving directly to Durham after lunch.

4. Re: Driving from Liverpool to Keswick then next day to Durham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 December 2015, 22:19
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
307 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Liverpool to Keswick then next day to Durham

Making the most of your time in the Lake District is certainly recommended. If you want to stay near Keswick the circular drive to Buttermere and back is very scenic. If you like you could visit either Teesdale or Hadrian's Wall on the way from Keswick to Durham. Drive from Penrith to Alston (highest market town in England) then head either north east towards Haydon Bridge and join the A69 for Hadrian's Wall (Housesteads is a good site to visit), or head south east towards Teesdale where you will pass High Force. Aim to be there by early afternoon to allow time to look around. That would save an hour's drive back again to get there on the day you are staying in Durham. If you travel later in the day the sun will be behind you making the landscape more beautiful. Another scenic route is from Alston via Weardale where you pass Killhope Lead Mining Centre.

If you decide to linger around Keswick the A66 would be the quicker rote to Durham but there's less of interest going that way..

Hunter Valley NSW...
Level Contributor
153 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Liverpool to Keswick then next day to Durham

Thanks for the very useful responses. After doing a bit more research have settled on the following - or at least aim to do this - departing Liverpool and head to Windermere via M6.

Take the A591thru Windermere to Troutbeck bridge, Ambleside, Thirlmere, stay on A591 – do not go into Keswick, continue to A66 road (follow signs for Cockermouth and Workington). Don’t take the first Newlands Valley exit, take the second one (thru Braithwaite). Follow signs to Newlands Valley (also signed for Buttermere).

Go to Newlands Pass at parking lot, walk to waterfall 300 yards hike. Or hike up to Knottrigg (one mile) spectacular views.

After Newlands pass descend to Buttermere. Drive around the lake and climb Honister Pass.

Then drive via Borrowdale. Next Lodore Falls – short walk from the road.

Hard right off B5289 (sign posted Ashness Bridge Watendlath) to village of Ashness Packhorse Bridge. Views of lake district from parking lot. Then to Watendlath, return to B5289, Borrowdale Valley road and back to Keswick.

That evening we will do the sunset cruise on the lake. The next day when we depart for Durham we will go to Castlerigg Stone Circle, Castlerigg, A5271 3km.

Then to Pooley Bridge – 30 mins 25km –

Then to High Force waterfall in Forest in Teesdale (1hr 15 mins 65km)

Then to Durham (1hr) 55km.

I will visit Hadrians Wall on my spare day from Durham.

Washington, England
Level Contributor
377 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Liverpool to Keswick then next day to Durham

Be aware that the cricket is not in Durham itself but in Chester le Street which is one junction north of Durham on the A1M

Hunter Valley NSW...
Level Contributor
153 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Liverpool to Keswick then next day to Durham

Thanks for that clarification. I must say all I had done was ask the B & B how far we were from the cricket and she said an easy taxi trip, (apparently all her guests are going there, except me and my sister) and I was happy with that answer. I thought my main job was getting the tickets and finding accommodation after that was done I went onto other important things like sorting out what I wanted to do. Best go back to looking at some maps and transport options for the fellows to get home after the days play. I am just delighted we get to see and explore another area of England I would never normally had gone to.

Washington, England
Level Contributor
377 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Liverpool to Keswick then next day to Durham

I'm sure you'll have a great time. The North East of the country is not a bad place to visit.

10. Re: Driving from Liverpool to Keswick then next day to Durham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2014, 07:18