We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keswick

Which Keswick hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Keswick

Hi

Going to be in the Lake District soon, our 1st visit. Have done walking ect for couple yrs now, but never the lakes. . Getting there early Tuesday , and leaving on the Friday. Would like some advice please. I have been looking on the Internet and have got a OS map of keswick , we are using craglands guest house , where we will be staying for 3days. Have got all the correct clothing and maps for the trip. Have a couple of ideas, was going to try and do this:- latrigg & stone circle . Cat bells & buttermere lakes and like to go up-to Bassenwaith lake & Thornthwaite forrest . On the Friday when going home was thinking of stoping off at Windermere and going across the ferry to claife station. We are in a car , but looking to use the bus mainly. Would like any ideas of my plans or your advice, what would be good for the 3full days I'm at the lakes. Thanks

Lake District...
Level Contributor
568 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Keswick

If you are doing a few walks it is worth getting hold of guiding notes on the walks or a walking book when in Keswick. OS maps are good/essential but walk notes will make it much much easier as not all paths are shown on the OS maps . For keen walkers there is nothing like the appropriate Wainwright guide.

There is plenty of walking around Keswick to keep you busy for several days without needing a car.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
307 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Keswick

Keswick is an excellent base, very central and with lots of facilities. It would be best to stick with one base for the week as it could be difficult finding different accommodation for one or 2-night stays. It will be busy so be sure to book accommodation well in advance. There are plenty of walks you can do from Keswick but as you have a week it would be good to explore other parts of the Lake District as it has so much to offer. Hiring a car once you're there would be a good idea. You don't need a car to get there - I don't know where you will be arriving from but there are good train services from the south stopping at Penrith. Then either hire a car or get the bus into Keswick. Keswick is a transport hub for bus services around the Lake District (and the launch around Derwent Water) so it is possible to get around to a certain extent by public transport, though you won't have as much freedom for accessing the remoter spots as you will with a car.

Otley, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
528 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Keswick

Hi

The Pheasant Inn that's been mentioned is this one....http://www.pheasantinnkeswick.co.uk/ it's within walking distance of Keswick (make it a more pleasant walk by walking along the river through the park). We've eaten her on and off over the last 4 years & we haven't had a bad experience yet. Always busy & an ever changing speacials board. Across the road there's also The Filling Station Cafe, which is a bit more substantial than a cafe and have some great homemade food - DON'T be put off by the bikes, it's not noisy / roudy, we've been in with our girls ( 8 & 4) & they were made to feel at home & welcome by the great staff. (They've has a lot of opposition by some locals & the pub about opening-but that's another story not be mentioned on here!!)

Re Catbells, if you're energetic enough & confident in your map reading, why don't you do the Maiden Moor round? Parking at Catbells is VERY limited now, there's double yellow lines on the roads now! (boo!!) Personally I'd take the boat, rather than the bus (a bit more fun!)

Don't forget to review your accomodation!

Have fun.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Keswick

Thats great and really helpful thanks very much! I'm now also thinking that self-catering might be better than B&B. Any suggestions there? We're coming from Oz so the exchange rate will be poor, I'd like something with character but not mega bucks.

Thanks v. much

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
308 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Keswick

The Pheasant is really nice, we loved it.

You could catch the walkers ferry to Hawes end, I think it leaves at 0940 and walk cat bells and as Madmoose said walk over via Maiden Moor and then around to Castle Crag and catch the bus back from Grange, I think its about 6-7 miles and a nice walk or if at a good pace you could catch the ferry back, thats the thing about Keswick over other bases, so much to do at your feet and everything is accessible.

Otley, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
528 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Keswick

You may get some late availability at....http://www.cumbrian-cottages.co.uk/

http://www.heartofthelakes.co.uk/

http://www.keswickcottages.co.uk/ (we've stayed at knott house farm-PLENTY of character-the floors slope!!)

don't shy away from a larger property, as the companies tend to do a cheaper rate, but lock the excess doors!

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Keswick

If you're only staying for 3 days your choice of self-catering cottages won't be great, as most owners prefer to let for whole weeks.

That said, if you're prepared to take the chance of leaving your booking to the last minute, cottage owners would far rather let for 3 days than not at all, so you may find that a good few 3 day lets are available once you are looking in the "last minute bargains" category.

When are you travelling? Your plan has a far better chance of success at off-peak times than at busy times.

BTW, if you don't easily find what you're looking for on the cottage rental companies' websites, it's well worth picking up the phone. I usually deal with Cumbrian Cottages and have always found them really helpful if you give them a call, and I expect the other companies would be similar.

18. Re: Keswick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 06:25
Get answers to your questions about Keswick