We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local maps and walks guide

London, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
local maps and walks guide

Staying in Keswick for a week in mid-September. Any recommendations for the best local map and guide book for local day walks? We aim to do as many as possible starting out on foot or short local bus ride away. Thanks in anticipation. Eddie

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: local maps and walks guide

Oh gosh, there are so many!

As for maps, make sure you get the 1:25,000 OS maps. For Keswick, you want the north-west Lake District, but if you stray very far on any of your walks you might find you need the north-east map as well.

I'm quite fond of the Pathfinder books (eg this one amazon.co.uk/Pathfinder-Lake-District-Walks-… ), which have very clear instructions and good maps.

Are you planning to keep to lakesides and valleys, or do you plan to go up the fells? If the latter, then Wainwrights guides are things of beauty and well worth having. If you're based in Keswick, then the Northern, North-Western, and Central fells will be the most useful.

The book "15 walks from Keswick" by Paul Buttle would also be an obvious choice.

There's a book called "Lake District Wet Weather Walks" by Christopher Mitchell. It's an incredibly well thought out book. The walks are not very challenging, and suitable for a bad day, but you get an incredible level of detail on things to look out for on the walks.

But there are a great many other guidebooks. If in doubt, I'd go into one of the many outdoor shops in Keswick, most of which have a good selection for sale. My personal favourite is Cotswold Outdoor, where the staff are invariably fantastically knowledgeable and helpful, and I'm sure they'd help you choose a guidebook that's most suitable for you. But to be honest, that's probably true of most of the outdoor shops in Keswick.

Chester
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: local maps and walks guide

Hi,

have a look on Amazon for Paul Buttle short walks in Keswick and Borrowdale. When you are in Keswick most of the outdoor shops have guide books but at least this one will give you some ideas.

He also did 10 walks from Keswick, not sure if this is still in print ( ISBN 0 9513717 11 code). One of my favourite from this book was Glaramara. You need to get the bus to Seatoller and it is 8 mile and 2600 feet ascent with the walk over Allen Crag.

Keith.

London, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: local maps and walks guide

Thanks for the tips both. Managed to find the Paul Buttle book for 1p on Amazon Marketplace (but £2.85 postage). I can see Keswick right on the border of the OS map so might have to buy both. One of my Scottish walking friends uses Harvey's maps when he's at home, do they also have good coverage of the Lakes?

Catbells features prominently in many posting but apart from that and a walk around the lake any other hot tips for a great day walk we can start on foot (or are they all best reached by local bus?)

Thanks again

Eddie

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: local maps and walks guide

Oh, probably lots of hot tips. How adventurous do you want to be? What sort of distance? Keen to go up some of the fells or prefer to stay at lake level?

5. Re: local maps and walks guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 November 2015, 20:40
London, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: local maps and walks guide

Nautius.

We're a fit couple in our early 60's and are regular walkers here in Surrey, usually 6-10 miles along a mix of Thames Path, North Downs Way, Box Hill, Leith Hill etc. On our previous visit to Coniston we climbed the Old Man by two routes without difficulty (admitted in good weather). we're in Keswick for a week so looking to get in five walks and a mix of fells and lakes would be great.

Thanks

Eddie

London, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: local maps and walks guide

Diz

excellent report of your walks. Thanks for sharing.

Eddie

Chester
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: local maps and walks guide

Hi Eddie,

some of my favourites around Keswick.

Keswick to Ashness bridge via Walla Crag at Ashness Bridge you can return to the lake or carry on to Watendlath and down to Rosthwaite and have tea and scones at the Royal Oak.

Rosthwaite - slate quarry - High Spy and along the ridge to Cat Bells.

We never tire of the walk around the lake and refreshments at High Lodore farm.

Keith.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,162 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: local maps and walks guide

There are some great walks in the Northern Fells. Additional ones you could consider are Fellbarrow and Rannerdale Knotts. Neither are particularly high but both offer super views.

Catbells is the Northern Fells equivalent of Bowness. Full of tourists, with an amazing array of footwear including, but not limited to, sandals, flip flops and Crocs; a fantastic variety of body shapes, and levels of breathlessness you wouldn't believe possible when they realise that this "easy" fell is somewhat harder to walk than they first thought.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,572 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: local maps and walks guide

Before you go out and buy the OS maps, ask your local library. I found out that ours (Lincolnshire village) had a complete set of laminated OS maps hidden in a back room, they did not put them out on show 'in case they got torn' !!! When I asked if I could take some out, the answer was yes, but only 6 at a time!! They had, unsurprisingly, never been out before.

I thought this quite disgraceful.