We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lakeside Lodges Whinfell Forest

Manchester
7 posts
Save Topic
Lakeside Lodges Whinfell Forest

I have recently booked a Lakeside Lodge at Whinfell Forest, wondered what these were like and have they been refuribished.

Also any other tips on where best to eat and activies would be great

Cumbria, England
Level Contributor
670 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lakeside Lodges Whinfell Forest

Presume you have booked at Centre Parcs? The Lakeside lodges are in a nice location. What grade was your accommodation as it usually says comfort, comfort plus etc. The refurbished ones are usually new style woodland.

We had a great time when we went. We have been twice now. What you depends on the age of your kids, or if indeed you are travelling with any!! Let me know a little more about your party and likes etc and I'll give you some recommendations. We are off again for our third visit in January.

Manchester
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lakeside Lodges Whinfell Forest

Thanks for your response.

My children are 12 and 8 and love anything sporty very daring and will have a go at anything.

Cumbria, England
Level Contributor
670 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lakeside Lodges Whinfell Forest

Hi Janet

Right my two are 5 and 9. The 5 year old boy enjoyed the Bobby Charlton Soccer mites. The 9 year girl did the swimming activities, I think it was go ballistic. Also she enjoyed the roller blading. she fancied tree trekking but the weather was too bad. They also did the outing with the owls and magical mammals where they could touch the animals and fly the birds.

The 9 year old did archery with her Dad and they both enjoyed it. We all (me included!) went on a family pony trek which was good even though we got soaked through to the bone. We also hired a pedalo to go round the lake for half an hour and were absolutely whacked with pedalling so much!!!

We stayed on Forresters Lane the first time which was a 5 min walk to the village centre and last time stayed at Beech Wood which was slightly further out but only a 12 min walk max. We hired bikes which meant we went everywhere!!! We have booked to go again in January and will be staying at Lake Beck.

The centre parcs website gives you a good overview of the activities on offer at Whinfell as they change all the time. The boating activties aren't on in the winter months. Some of the activties are best pre booked in order to guarantee your place whilst others like the soft tennis in the sports plaza, you can just turn up and go on. If you want to go 10 pin bowling you will also need to pre book

We ate out at Bella Italia which was ok if pricey. The rock Cafe and Green Room which did good breakfasts and the Lakeside Inn / Pub. The pub was the best value in our opinion and the nicest food. Sunday lunch was especially good. There is also an Indian and I think a Chinese. Some restaurants also do takeway delivery service. There is a supermarket which is ok for odds and ends but take most of your groceries with you as it is a bit pricey.

We had never been to any center parcs until Nov last year and we now can't keep away. Whinfell Forest is such a lovely site. We only live 45 mins away and were a bit worried that we wouldn't feel like we were away from home but once you get in there you could be anywhere and it is so de stressing!!

I hope to try out the Spa facilities in January as it will be my birthday. The inside pool and slides area are excellent and our two thoroughly enjoyed it and we had to drag them forcibly from there!!

Any other questions, just ask. I think I have photos of the new style lodges if you want to see some...just let me know

Manchester
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lakeside Lodges Whinfell Forest

Hi

Would love to see your pictures

Thanks Janet

Cumbria, England
Level Contributor
670 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lakeside Lodges Whinfell Forest

I have posted dome photos on my profile. Trip advisor have to vet them so you should be able to see them in a few days. If you have any problems viewing them let me know

Fiona

Manchester
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lakeside Lodges Whinfell Forest

Cannt seem to be able to view your photos. any ideas as to why

janet

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
330 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lakeside Lodges Whinfell Forest

Janet,

My wife, daughter [16 at time] and I have all used the Aqua Sana spa- well worth pre booking unless you go on changeover day as soon as you get there which is a great way to unwind straightaway.

When my wife and daughter first went I was skeptical so they went on arrival and I unpacked the car and set up the lodge while they were out. The relaxed dreamy smiles told me how much they'd enjoyed it so I had a go next visit- didn't quite get the same experience they did but it was good in some of the hot rooms!- followed by a swim in the outdoor pool [heated] which is fantastic on a cold, snowy February evening!

You don't have to be busy all the time- just do whatever you want and plan around pre-booked things that you really want to do!

Always book the restuarants which also do takeaway service. You can alwys leave the centre and find somewhere cheaper to eat but that means getting in your car which seems a sacrilege.

HINT!!- don't park at the entrance where you go in but as close to the EXIT barrier as you can. You'll avoid the MASSIVE queue to leave the car park on changeover day as there is only one way in and one exit for 500+ cars all wanting to leave at the same time!

Children love the place and it is safe enough to let them have some freedom- you'll have some time for yourselves which is fantastic in such a safe environment.

Enjoy it!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
330 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lakeside Lodges Whinfell Forest

Must slow down and check posts before sending... [restaurant!]. I seem to either be getting stubbier fingers and my hands don't do what my brain tells them fast enough anymore!

Must be getting to 'that' age!!

......Aw well, more free time to go on holiday!! lol

Cumbria, England
Level Contributor
670 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lakeside Lodges Whinfell Forest

Janet

Apparently they are too dark and the wrong way round!!! Send me a private message on trip advisor and I'll arrange to send them that way

Apologies

Fiona

10. Re: Lakeside Lodges Whinfell Forest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 13:20