We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slap up breakfast?

England
Level Contributor
32 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Slap up breakfast?

We are staying near to Penrith - can anyone recommend a good cafe / place to go for a filling breakfast?

Mentioned in this post
Penrith
Penrith
Eden District, UK
Long Meg and her Daughters
Historic Sites, Mysterious Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Slap up breakfast?

Not a very radical suggestion but we normally go to the Little Chef, just off the A66 towards Ullswater.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slap up breakfast?

It won't be the closest place to Penrith, but you could drive down the motorway to Tebay services. It's about 16 miles south of Junction 40 of the M6.

"What", I hear you cry, "a motorway service station? Surely he's having a laugh?"

Tebay services is quite unlike any other motorway service station in the country. As far as I know, it's the only independent one, and it's run by a local company who use fresh Cumbrian produce and generally to a fantastic job. The breakfasts there are, IMHO, worth a 16 mile journey.

They even have a website:

http://www.westmorland.com/tebay-services

Mentioned in this post
Penrith
Penrith
Eden District, UK
England
Level Contributor
32 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Slap up breakfast?

Cheers - that sounds near enough!

Lancashire
Level Contributor
666 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Slap up breakfast?

The above suggestions will involve you having deep pockets

There are several options and probably more as i have to say i am not sure whats actually in the centre as i tend to always be with a vehicle.

A few miles to the east on the A66 near centre parcs you have the LLama cafe though i dont actually think they do a full english but they do do bacon sandwich scrambled eggs etc

http://www.llamakarmakafe.co.uk/

If you head into Penrith from M6 roundabout you will find a truckstop type cafe called something like Roosters at the next roundabout. Its quite large and does actually do a reasonable breakfast for a few quid

Another option is to turn left at this roundabout head other the M6 and turn right into the United Utilies depot where you will find several units one being a small cafe.

Straight on at the Roosters roundabout you will Cranstans foodhall whom offer hot takeaway food and later this year a cafe is opening there.

Past Cranstons and the railway station you will find Morrissons supermarket which has a cafe and this is where i usally head for when in Penrith as its handy for fuel too

Mentioned in this post
Penrith
Penrith
Eden District, UK
England
Level Contributor
32 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Slap up breakfast?

Thanks MartinCat - that's most thoughtful and helpful of you.

Now we have a choice of venues, to suit our mood - or our pocket!

Thanks again, to all three of you.

Penrith, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Slap up breakfast?

I hope your breakfast was a good one. Much too late for this visit but for next time try Hartside Cafe which is the highest cafe in England (1903 ft) on the A686 Penrith to Alston road. The small breakfast is enough but the big breakfast is really the mutt's nuts - 2 rashers of bacon, 2 sausages, egg, black pudding, mushrooms, baked beans, tomatoes , 2 slices of toast and tea or coffee for £6.80. We walk up from Gamblesby at least once a week (if we didn't we'd be seriously big)

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Penrith
Penrith
Eden District, UK
7. Re: Slap up breakfast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2010, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Penrith