We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which town do we stay in in the Lake District ?

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
260 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Which town do we stay in in the Lake District ?

Hello coming from Australia to the Lake DistrIct next September for 5 days. Do we stay in Keswick or Windermere or ? Need good places to eat, things to do such as a cruise on the lake and geneal sightseeing. Not into bushwalking but gentle bike riding is fun. Have found Cottage in the Wood in Keswick which TA gives great reviews and Langdale Chase in Windermere. I was here many moons ago when I was 16 and loved it all ! How many hours drive from London is it ? Any help greatly appreciated. thank you, Peta

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which town do we stay in in the Lake District ?

We will be visiting the Lake Distric in August, so I googled, Lake District, UK and found a website for "iKnow-lakedistrict.co.uk, which led me to a lot of information on accomodation.

I havent booked anything yet, but like the look of Keswick because there are so many b&b's and hotels within walking distance of the town.

Have a look at The Winchester in Keswick.

I have found that Googling in each b&b or Hotel, and reading through their website is the best way to find out what they offer.

In the UK, many b&b's allow pets, and you will find that those accomodations usually say pets welcome...most say that they are non smoking

I was last in the Lake district in 1981, guess the towns might be a little more commercial, but the scenery......that'll be the same.

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which town do we stay in in the Lake District ?

p.s.

another site for info is "lakedistrictletsgo"

accomodation,eateries/restuarants, pubs & Inns, etc etc.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,069 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which town do we stay in in the Lake District ?

Many of the Lake District towns are clogged with people and extremely congested with traffic, don't know if this is important to you or not? Hopefully some locals will help out, as some towns are less congested and more scenic, I just don't remember which ones! We have stayed near Coniston, which was less busy.

One thing to be aware of if you are looking for a "lake view" B&B. Some websites can be misleading, and the B&B may have a lake view, but be on the other side of a very noisy road. If you can't figure it out from the website, just e-mail and ask.

Hope you find a nice place!

Driffield, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which town do we stay in in the Lake District ?

Hi, if you actually want a town to stay in I personally would go for Keswick rather than say Ambleside or Windermere, it's just that touch quieter but still has all the tourist needs. From here you can explore Borrowdale by bus/foot or bike. There are also boat trips on Derwentwater.

As one of the other contributors mentioned there are other smaller places such as Coniston or Hawkshead which are interesting but have fewer facilities.

Driving from London I would guess at 6 hours, but the M6 is a notorious motorway so I would allow a full day.

Have a good time.

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Which town do we stay in in the Lake District ?

Thanks Oldvicar for your advice re Keswick..I have almost settled on a b&b in Keswick, so I was happy to see that you recommend it and note that we can do a cruise on Derwentwater and that the town itself has numerous amenities...hopefully we can find somewhere nice for our evening meals. We will be there in August, so can't expect to have the place to ourselves.

St Andrews, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which town do we stay in in the Lake District ?

Hi

I would most definetly go for Keswick - it is lovely and there is lots to do, in fact there is lots to do in The National Park. I would like to reply to Half Brit - as I live and work here - I am not sure as to why he has said that the roads are clogged, there is of course slight congestion if the traffic lights turn red at Waterhead in Ambleside or the pedestrian crossings in Keswick - or a couple of ducks/red squirrels decide to cross the road.........!

As for Chocolatefriend - I do hope you enjoy the Lakes - the colours are looking fantastic now - its a pity you arent here at the moment :-)

Cheshire - England
Level Contributor
670 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which town do we stay in in the Lake District ?

Hello – Can I just add some comments re the M6 journey London to Lake District.

As stated by others the drive M25 - M40 and then M6 should take about six hours but this is through some of our most congested and least scenic roads in the country. If driving this route and you can choose a time do your best to avoid the main rush hour and Friday afternoon.

As an alternative do the journey at a time when you know the road will not be busy. Just as an example of this I live in Cheshire (just off M6) and when family from London come to visit us for the weekend they will sometime not leave until 8 pm on Sunday evening. The journey then takes them half an hour less than normal, (3.5 hours instead of 4) the road is not busy and the chances of congestion are greatly reduced.

Have a great holiday in the Lake District it is fantastic!

Grasmere, Lake...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which town do we stay in in the Lake District ?

Keswick is a great place to be located, the Lakes are a lot less busy at this time of the year compared to July/August.

From Keswick it is a short hop over the hill to go South to the Windermere/Langdale areas. You have direct access to Derwent Water and if you go east you can get to Ullswater with ease.

If you are looking for places to eat, try having a look at our website www.artisan-food.com we have a restaurant review section (including contact details) It's our take on some of the places we have visited. If you want "traditional pub" style combined with excellent food, you wont go far wrong if you visit - The Masons Arms, Yanwath Gate Inn, or the Queens Head. All of which can be "googled" by adding Cumbria as well - it might help to ring and book ahead as these places tend to be busy particularly in the evening. - Martin

UK
Level Contributor
305 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which town do we stay in in the Lake District ?

If you are coming to the Lakes for 5 days I would spend a couple of days and nights around Windermere/Bowness. I find Keswick a bit old but then I am in my 30's so it depends on how old you are.

Bowness is fairly small but it does have some nice restaurants and a few decent pubs. We stay in a lovely bed and Breakfast called Storrs Gate House just outside Bowness. Read the reviews on here it really is 5/5 and much cheaper than the bigger hotels. You can cruise on the Lake from Bowness to Ambleside which is worth a visit. You can also get a ferry across to Coniston which is a very sleepy place and very relaxing.

Have been to the Langdale Chase for a wedding and the views are spectacular. Rooms were fine too but quite expensive.

Traffic in the villages around the Lakes in not usually too bad outside the school holidays and weekends so you should be ok in September.

The Drive will take you around 5-6 hours from London on a good run. Avoid fridays and setting off in the afternoon as every day can be busy on the M1/M6 particularly PM. Saturday morning is a good time to do the drive.

As I have no idea of your knowledge of England or previous visits then visiting the lakes is a great idea. I however find 3 nights plenty to see and do everything you want to. Scotland is less than an hour away and Chester is worth a visit on the way/way back if you have never been before. it is not too far out of the way.

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Which town do we stay in in the Lake District ?

Hi Chocolatefriend, I have contributed to and been watching these postings as my husband and I will be in the Lake Districk for 3 or 4 nights in August, so I hope you don't mind me jumping in here.

To ArtisanFoodDotCom, and SwissJen, thanks for the really great tips. I will go to the various websites suggested for meals and check out Storrs Gate House if they have a website also look at trip advisor comments.

We will be hiring a car at Edinburgh Airport on a Saturday Morning, so am hoping that the traffic won't be a problem for us.

I was in the Lake District in 1981 (stayed at Peacock Inn, Bassenthwaite Lake) but guess the whole area is more commercial since then, but as I have said previously, bet the views are just as spectacular.

Get answers to your questions about Windermere