We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

50th Birthday celebrations!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
50th Birthday celebrations!

Its the big 50th Birthday this year. I have a budget of £500 for a week or few days.

Travel companions myself and a few girls are looking to stay in a small classy hotel- October ish. Teneriffe has been suggested, and Marbella. I quite fancy this country-Lakes with a good walk but October is a little dodgy re weather, based on years of my previous experience. We like classy things dressing for dinner but we all are sports minded and would like an activity for the day.

Any suggestions?

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
453 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 50th Birthday celebrations!

Hi

The Wordsworth Hotel, Grasmere is an excellent base for walks etc. They can arrange other activities for you as well,also they have a Spa/Swimming Pool.

Most of the classic Rooms have been refurbished and of a high standard and try the Hotels Signature Restaurant, it's very good!

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 50th Birthday celebrations!

The weather in October in the Lake District is really a bit of a lucky dip. I've often had glorious weather in October, but I've also been for a week in the Lakes in October and had it rain solidly every day. You could really get anything from glorious sunshine to gale force winds and snow.

So don't assume that you'll get bad weather in the Lakes in October, but you should certainly be prepared for it. If you want to take the guesswork out of the weather, then you'd probably be better off in Tenerife (or how about Malta? Wonderful place to spend a few days IMHO).

Anyway, the suggestion for the Wordsworth Hotel in Grasmere is a good one (never stayed there myself, but I did once have a splendid dinner there and it's certainly a good location for walking). You might also want to look at the Inn on the Lake in Glenridding. Plenty of stuff to do there as well, and it also has a great restaurant. There are doubtless plenty of others.

One thing to think about: will you have a car? If so, it doesn't matter hugely where you're based as you can get to other bits of the Lakes pretty easily (and the traffic shouldn't be too bad in October). If not, you might want to pick some suitable activities and then look for accommodation nearby.

Edited: 04 January 2012, 15:43
3. Re: 50th Birthday celebrations!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2013, 10:20
Get answers to your questions about Windermere