We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchase train tix from Australia for travel to Windamere

Which Windermere hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grafton, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Purchase train tix from Australia for travel to Windamere

Good morning

My son will be landing in London next week Monday, and on Tuesday he needs to travel from London to Windamere (with final destination being Far Sawrey). If our research is correct, he will catch a train from Euston Station?? Just wondering if we should book this in advance now, and if so, which website would I use so that we can pre-print the ticket here at home in Australia? Anything else he needs to know? Thanks!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,868 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchase train tix from Australia for travel to Windamere

virgintrains.co.uk run the route, though any of the Train Operating Companies on nationalrail.co.uk will book it

He can collect the tickets at Euston IF he has the card used for the booking and the booking reference and should allow at least 3 hours, preferably more between landing and travel.

For future reference it would have been better to fly into Manchester then travel from there and for best train prices you need to book when the cheap tickets become available which is generally around 12 weeks before date of travel

Lake District...
Level Contributor
585 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchase train tix from Australia for travel to Windamere

Agree with above buy ticket online and collect at Euston - much much cheaper look for "Advance fares"

For information of others:

Virgin does do E-tickets.

BUT

Only for Advance fares

AND

Only if journey is completely on Virgin or Cross- Country trains.

So no e-tickets on Euston- Windermere

Edited: 23 July 2013, 08:32
Grafton, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchase train tix from Australia for travel to Windamere

Thank you both for that info, very helpful.

Matt has to stay in London for 1 night on arrival for another engagement, otherwise he would have flown into Manchester. And unfortunately his travel plans to Far Sawrey weren't decided until about 2 weeks ago.

My husband and I are planning to visit the Lake District later in the year and will definitely be flying in/out of Manchester, and will be able to book far in advance so hope to grab a bargain!

I've just looked at virgintrains.co.uk and he can get a first-class, advance, one-way fare for GBP76.50, with a 20 minute stop/change at Oxenholme... does this sound right? No direct trains it appears?

Stephanie

London
Level Contributor
9,557 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchase train tix from Australia for travel to Windamere

Advance fares can be as low as £17 (each way). There is no guarantee you’ll find a fare as cheap as this - these cheap fares are quota restricted and sell out fast. The “Advance” ticket type must be purchased in advance and is valid only on one specified train on one day - miss that train and the ticket has no value.

The Off-Peak return fare is £97. This ticket can be bought on the day and (on this route) can be used on virtually any train - return valid up to one month.

Only buy the “Advance” fares if the fares for the dates you need are a significant saving on the “Off Peak Return”. As the “Advance” ticket has no flexibility, it’s only worth buying if the price saving against the “Off Peak Return” is really worth the sacrifice in flexibility. As we are talkig next week, there is every chance that the "Advance" fares won't be a saving over the "Off Peak return".

The train from London is headed for Glasgow - you need to change for the Windermere line. The irony is that the connecting train will have started at the station within Manchester airport - so travel from Manchester is so much easier (and cheaper).

Cheshire - England
Level Contributor
644 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchase train tix from Australia for travel to Windamere

Hello - Just to confirm what others have said in that yes he gets train from London Euston to Windermere and will have to make one change at Oxenholme. (Its a tiny station and you cannot go wrong with changing there).

You can buy the ticket from a number of places such as thetrainline.com or direct from the operator Virgin Trains but as far as I am aware in all of these cased to stop fraud you must have the card used to make the booking when you collect the ticket from the machine at Euston, plus know the booking number.

It is worth while checking the times of the trains on say thetrainline.com in advance as some trains on this route involve two changes while other only one. (There is no cost difference)

One final point for most train times on this route there is now no price advantage to buy on line today or walk up next Tuesday but if you can get round the credit card issue and want to book "just to be sure" my children who use this line often always book direct with Virgin Train as they tell me the total cost including any booking fee is £1 less!!! (Does not even pay for a cup of tea on the train)

London
Level Contributor
9,557 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Purchase train tix from Australia for travel to Windamere

"Thetrainline" would be my last choice - they charge additional fees compared to other resellers.

If it's only a one way trip, that £76 fare in First is reasonable - you get food and drink included. If the trip is return the off peak return is much better value.

Diss, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Purchase train tix from Australia for travel to Windamere

The other posters give good advice, but if there is any likelihood of you making more than a couple of train journeys in the UK, check out the Britrail Pass. It's only available to non-UK residents - and they won't even let us see the prices because they're so cheap compared to what UK residents pay. You must buy the pass before arriving in the UK. See www.britrail.com for details before you leave home.

Grafton, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Purchase train tix from Australia for travel to Windamere

Thank you all for that great information. Wow the early fares can be really cheap, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on them for our visit in November.

We are really only exploring buying the ticket now, as opposed to him walking up and buying next week, as he must arrive in Far Sawrey on Tues 30th, and we wanted to be sure he had a seat. We will book and pay using a credit card that is in his name, so that's not an issue.

Good advice about the lack of flexibility tho...I'll check what the next best fare is, one that offers a bit of flexibility if needed.

I really appreciate everyone's advice!

London
Level Contributor
9,557 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Purchase train tix from Australia for travel to Windamere

I wouldn't worry unduly about seating on this route, at least not when starting at Euston. The train is starting in London, and providing you go to the train as soon as the platform is announced, you can find a seat. If it is a nine carriage train, coach "E" will be entirely unreserved. If it is an eleven carriage train, coaches "E, F and U" will all be unreserved. Virgin do this specifically to ensure seats are available for those travelling on flexible tickets, who haven't reserved a seat.

There's a train every hour to Glasgow (the route to Oxenholme).

Grafton, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Purchase train tix from Australia for travel to Windamere

I will definitely check out the BritRail pass - a great tip, thanks Ron S.