We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windermere to Glenridding by bus

Which Windermere hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Windermere to Glenridding by bus

Hi everyone,

We will be staying in Ambleside next weekend (Fri 6th Sept) with no car.

I'm trying to find out how to get to Ullswater by bus either from Ambleside or Windermere - the timetables seem to show that the 508 and 108 from Windermere will not be running at this time of year.

Is there any other bus we can get or does anyone have any more info?

Thanks

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
308 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Windermere to Glenridding by bus

cumbria.gov.uk/elibrary/…414229420.pdf

This is for walking or the steamer?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Windermere to Glenridding by bus

I wanted to go from Troutbeck to Pooley Bridge a couple of years ago and found the service was summer only. The service and timings have changed since then, but your research and the timetable above would seem to indicate that the situation is basically the same - no buses after August.

London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Windermere to Glenridding by bus

That's what I feared - it seems crazy so I'd hoped I was wrong.

Does anyone have any idea of taxi prices between Windermere and Glenridding?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,045 posts
656 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Windermere to Glenridding by bus

Why not call taxi companies in Windermere?

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Windermere to Glenridding by bus

If the direct buses between Windermere and Glenridding aren't running, you could still get there by bus if you don't mind going the long way round. I'm not intimately familiar with the bus timetables, but I think you can go from Windermere to Keswick, Keswick to Penrith, and Penrith to Glenridding.

It will take bloody ages of course, and would be totally unsuitable if you're in a hurry. Not sure what bus fares are like and whether it would even be cheaper than a taxi. But if you have plenty of time for the journey, it does at least have the merit that you'd have some fantastic views on the way. Almost the entire journey goes through beautiful scenery.

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
308 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Windermere to Glenridding by bus

Daft that no buses run from end of August, least I would expect is the end of the Summer time table (Nov). No chance of using Glenridding as a start off point for helvellyn without mass numbers of people.

The price from Windermere to Ambleside I was quoted as £14, whats that 4 miles? Ambleside to Glenridding, 10 miles depending on driver, looking at £30 min I would guess

Edited: 02 September 2013, 14:33
London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Windermere to Glenridding by bus

Thanks Nautius and Duderoo - think we'll have to abandon Ullswater on this trip, we're pretty tight for time - and money with those taxi prices!

Very disappointing about the buses but there are plenty of other areas we seem to be able to get to ok. Thanks for your help

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Windermere to Glenridding by bus

That's a shame, as Ullswater is IMHO the most scenic lake in the Lake District.

Still, as you say, you're not exactly going to be short of beautifully scenic places within easy reach of Ambleside. Ullswater will still be there for your next trip.

Kirkby Stephen...
Level Contributor
10 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Windermere to Glenridding by bus

Hitch!

10. Re: Windermere to Glenridding by bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2014, 06:22