We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help---advice on a sexy hotel in the lakes!

13 posts
Save Topic
Help---advice on a sexy hotel in the lakes!

Hi, Can anyone help - I need a sexy hotel room for a romantic get away in the lakes. I don't want stuffy, chinzy hotel and the Samling is full! Spa bath in room and roaring log fires - fairly informal. Just a get away!

Level Contributor
567 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help---advice on a sexy hotel in the lakes!

hotelbird, I have stayed at the Samling and whilst the setting is beautiful the rooms are chinzy and the food is ok but not enough, Hipping Hall in Kirby Lonsdale is beautiful, like a boutique type of hotel but still retaining old style character and service. The suite we had had a whirlpool bath lovely modern fittings. Have a look at their web site.

Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help---advice on a sexy hotel in the lakes!

Try looking here --> elh.co.uk/hotels/waterhead/photo_library.php

Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help---advice on a sexy hotel in the lakes!

Very much like one of the posts - Try Hipping Hall - absolutely fantastic - the food is incredible - the chef came from the Samling. It is located just outside Kirkby Lonsdale - which is a delightful town, situated on the River Lune and is famous for Ruskins View, there are some lovely walks around there, the Lune Valley is picturesque plus you are only half an hours drive from the Windermere.

You could also try Gilpin Lodge & Holbeck Ghyll - but the are quite 'stuffy' where as Hipping Hall - is most certainly not

Lancaster, UK
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help---advice on a sexy hotel in the lakes!

I echo the recommendations for Hipping Hall. Superb place and the food is some of the best you'll find outside (or even in) London.

(Unfortunately, they opened just too late to make it into the food guides.)

In the Lakes itself, I could suggest L'Enclume in Cartmel. This is actually a restaurant with rooms - the food is amazing, but if you're not a foodie, it can be a bit challenging.

South Yorkshire
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Help---advice on a sexy hotel in the lakes!

Try Aphrodites Hotel in Windermere... themed rooms... very nice... I'm aiming to take my partner there.

Here is the weblink for the hotel.

My partner thought it looked lovely too.

From suzywuzywu@yahoo.com

Level Contributor
15 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help---advice on a sexy hotel in the lakes!

Like many of the other replies I can also highly recommend Hipping Hall. Very romantic, not chintzy at all, log fires, wood burning stoves and bedrooms to die for. The suite is great with the whirlpool bath or try room 9 with it's downstairs lounge and spiral staircase to your bedroom! The food is amazing and the staff are brilliant. Quite pricey but when you dine here you'll know you are getting the best dining experience in the Lake District. Kirkby Lonsdale is a lovely market town to wander around too.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help---advice on a sexy hotel in the lakes!

The Drunken Duck is a superb pub with rooms. Absolutely gorgeous food in a fantastic setting.

The rooms aren't that 'modern' and may be a tiny bit too chintzy for you but would be well worth looking at. The bar and restaurant are more modern than the rooms, but I believe the rooms in the 'annexe' are more up-to-date than the ones in the main building.

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
63 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help---advice on a sexy hotel in the lakes!

The Moss Grove in Grasmere could be what you're looking for - although there's no restaurant it's within spitting distance of the fabulous Jumble Room and indeed anywhere else you fancy in the village. Worth noting that the breakfast situation is clearly not to everyone's tastes... see reviews (beware the frequent assertion that it's 'not a 4 star hotel' though - I've never seen it claim to be so not sure why this is repeated so often!). However it's very stylish with big bedrooms, plasma TVs, DVD players etc, and massive bathrooms. The lounge is huge and comfy with plush sofas, large sash windows and the requisite roaring fire. I will say it's a touch overpriced, but where isn't in the Lakes?!

Level Contributor
423 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help---advice on a sexy hotel in the lakes!

Just had a 2 night break at Gilpin Lodge, absolutely fabulous, food to die for, 1 night per room including Breakfast and 5 course dinner £140, room was huge with jacuzzi in bathroom. Service was excellent and the setting is so peaceful. Cant wait to get back.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,926 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help---advice on a sexy hotel in the lakes!

Whatever happened to Hotelbird - did any of the advice help, did you go yet, if so was it what you hoped for, is there a trip report pending.........I do hope so:-)