We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cockerham Villiage

PA
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Cockerham Villiage

Hello -

I am looking for any information about Cockerham Villiage. I believe I have some family there and would like to know how to get there from the closest airport (airport would be?)

Is there anything to do in the villiage or hotels to stay in?

Thank you,

Helen Cockerham

10 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cockerham Villiage

Hi,

Manchester and Liverpool are the nearest convenient international airports.

You then head north and you can check road and rail routes on mapping websites.

Given my personal knowledge of the u/m places and with no idea of your budget, please merely note;-

Cockerham is SW of Lancaster and west of the A6 and west of the West Coast rail line.

The village is now more accessible because of

lancashire.gov.uk/environment/historichighwa…

See

http://www.northeustonhotel.com/

You might have found

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/DAVIES/LancsCockerham.htm

We suggest you avoid paying commercial genealogy websites.

Lancashire Library records are available to researchers.

Next to the toll bridge over the River Wyre this Inn has a history on the route to Lancaster and it deserves mention

http://www.thecartfordinn.co.uk/

Nearer to stay to Cockerham there is perhaps

www.newinngalgate.co.uk/pubaccommodation.php

Regards

Edited: 18 October 2013, 21:36
North West England...
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cockerham Villiage

I'll start you off. Manchester Airport would be your best bet, a train from the airport station would take you to Lancaster. There is at least one direct train an hour to Lancaster and other trains that involves a simple change at Preston.

Lancaster is 7 miles from Cockerham, so you would require a local bus, or a taxi to continue your journey to Cockerham.

I'm not too sure about accommodation close to Cockerham, but you'll have no trouble finding somewhere in Lancaster.

Cockerham is in a lovely part of the country and is quite close to The Lake District and The Forest of Bowland. Think about hiring a car at the airport and driving up to Cockerham, it's an easy drive. You would then have access to a wider range of accommodation and it would enable you to visit some of the most lovely parts of England.

http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/

http://www.forestofbowland.com/

PA
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cockerham Villiage

Very good information, thank you all :-)

Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cockerham Villiage

Hi,

Either the Mill Hotel or the Stork Hotel at Conder Green would be good places to stay. They are on the bus route from Lancaster, and the same bus will take you to Cockerham Village.

If you have access to timeshare, then Thurnham Hall is a good place to stay, and probably the nearest place to Cockerham.

Of course, as others have said, you could stay in Lancaster, or possibly the small town of Garstang.

In Cockerham itself, there is Wallings Ice Cream parlour, that has a restaurant, and there is a pub caled the Manor Inn. Also Glasson Dock is not to far away and worthy of a visit as it has a couple of pubs and a cafe.

Enjoy your trip.

England
Level Contributor
1 post
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cockerham Villiage

Hi I have just come across this post whilst looking for something else. Did you ever come to Cockerham as we live in the village and would be interested if your research ever came to anything.

PA
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cockerham Villiage

Im planning to visit Cockerham villiage Sept. 2015. Any ideas on what to do and how long to stay? My last name is Cockerham and I'm sure I have some family around there. Thank you!

Helen

Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cockerham Villiage

In all honesty, you will see all of Cockerham village in about half an hour of walking, and will probably struggle to find any accommodation in the village itself. You will be better off staying at Thurnham Hall, The Mill at Conder Green, or at Lancaster House Hotel, near Galgate if you have deep pockets. The Stork Hotel at Conder Green is very good too.

You could always stay in Lancaster itself, and use the local bus service to get to Cockerham Village.

Enjoy your trip!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cockerham Villiage

Not sure why your name is necessarilty connected to the village. I know someone called Hstings but there is no connection with the town.

Have you gone onto the many genealogical sites to try a trace any link before you set out ?

PA
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cockerham Villiage

My uncle visted cockerham village in 1981 and there were some relatives. He has some booklet that he brought back with many of the buildings that still exist now. I was just wondering if there was a general building with some history in it about the village.

Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cockerham Villiage

Best place to start would be the Manor Inn, the local village pub, where you can natter with the locals over a few ales.

Reply to: Cockerham Villiage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lancashire