We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family friendly pubs

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
8 posts
34 reviews
family friendly pubs

Off to Blackpool tomorrow with my dad, hubby, my 3 and my 10 year old. Think it may be raining so looking for a nice pub where we can all have a sit down and where the kids will be welcome and where ideally there will be a kiddy play area... any ideas in the centre of town ? thanks

cheshire
Level Contributor
289 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: family friendly pubs

may i suggest the bars on both south pier and central pier very child friendly.

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
51 posts
2. Re: family friendly pubs

There are good so long as they are open.

Last week they were only open on the holiday Monday during the week which was disappointing.

Dundee
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: family friendly pubs

Hi,

Blackpool like a lot of towns/cities in Britain is far from child friendly when it comes to providing good family areas where you can relax and have a drink with the kids.Even when some pubs do provide a family area they charge way over the top for the priviledge.A typical example is/was the Manchester pub.Downstairs where kids were not allowed they were charging £1.50 for a pint of lager but when you went upstairs to the family area the same lager was £2.50.The Wetherspoons pub on Lytham Road allow kids in but there is no play area.Same goes for the Buckaneer in Coral Island but further out you have Brewsters on Yeadon Way where the kids can play but it costs you and I think you must have a meal.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
706 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: family friendly pubs

Hillbankdee, thats terrible isnt it. Typical of Britain though. These places are happy to take the money but dont bother to provide anything for the kids. When i take my grandkids to Blackpool i dont bother going out to the pubs at night, i dont think there nice for kids at all and i wouldnt pay over the top prices. I tried it once and it was a pub on that small pier near pleasure land and it was horrible. Some of the parents were drunk and the little kids were running around mad, obviously bored stiff. I was glad to get out of there. Thats the thing with holidays abroard, they do cater for children and there always *child friendly*. We,ve still got a lot to learn here regarding *child friendly*.I,m quite happy with Blackpool in the day time, theres loads to do, but i,d rather be in a nice hotel for the evenings and leave the pubs to the teenages.

Blackpool
Level Contributor
645 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: family friendly pubs

Yep this is something Blackpool lacks...something for children to do in the evening that does not revolve around the word 'pub'.

Let's hope somebody with money reads this post and thinks about creating something for normal decent families.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
706 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: family friendly pubs

Coffee it would be great if someone reading this DID do something. Especially regarding having childrens entertainment in hotels/pubs etc. Thats why i,m so glad i took the grandkids to Mrs Sparkles place when i did. And this isnt advertising because its no longer a *child friendly* hotel. But i went there when it was and we never needed to go out in the evenings, the kids were entertained brilliantly. But ive toured the internet to see do any other hotels in Blackpool do anything similar and ive never found anything. My daughter took them to a place which i wont name, that says child friendly but that just meant a pool table and fruit machine in the bar and sitting with the adults while they drank till early hours of the morning. Another *child friendly* one turned out to mean a DVD player in the room and XBOX in the bar.

Dunfermline, Fife
Level Contributor
578 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: family friendly pubs

The Laughing Donkey is my favourite bar in Blackpool purely because all the entertainment in there is 100% family focused.

The Brewers Fayre at Yeadon Way is one of the better ones and there is also the Wacky Warehouse out by the airport.

I dont accept that there is nothing for kids to do in the evening that doesn't involve pubs though. There is Coral Island as well as the rides on Central and South Pier which often stay open later than the Pleasure Beach.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
706 posts
31 reviews
8. Re: family friendly pubs

Hi third doc, its just that when ive spent the day (or 2 days) in the Pleasure Beach i dont want to be paying the prices they charge for the rides on the piers and in Corel Ireland too. Ive usually started to run out of money after the fair, Dr Who, Sea Life, etc. I,m sure ive been in the pub you mention, i think i picked a bad night though, i wasnt impressed.

9. Re: family friendly pubs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2009, 05:36