We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drop In Blackpool Visitors

Which Blackpool hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Blackpool
Level Contributor
643 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Drop In Blackpool Visitors

Sorry to be doomy but it seems Vistbritain have realised Blackpool had a bad season last year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8123208.stm

Why do you think this was....

Lack of any new major attraction in years?

The tattiness of the place?

Poor image?

The weather?

The fact that Liverpool/Manchester became trendy?

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,564 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drop In Blackpool Visitors

It's a VisitEngland report so does not include Scotland and Wales. I think Welsh coastal resorts had a bad year too last year, but that was put down to the weather rather than any particular trend, as the numbers are back up this year.

Dunfermline, Fife
Level Contributor
578 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drop In Blackpool Visitors

I think it's a combination of all of the above Coffee.

This year, with the better weather (apparently) on it's way and with less people having the means to travel abroad I'd expect the numbers to be well up on last year.

The town really need to start promoting all the good work that's going on in the resort just now. The new Promenade looks fantastic, and once finished will be a major attraction in it's own right.

There's the new Indoor Adventure Golf which is a great looking attraction too.

Not to mention the new fountains and all the cosmetic work that's been going on along at Pleasure Beach.

Whilst it didn't have much further to fall, it would be very hard to argue that Blackpool isn't a town that's very much on the rise again.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drop In Blackpool Visitors

The recession has not helped but it seems to be generally all over.Some city breaks are up but some are down and Spain is suffering badly too.The town will look good when finished.Lights in Birley Street nearly finished at long last.No easy answer to the problem when there is a shortage of money about

D L
Blackpool
Level Contributor
107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drop In Blackpool Visitors

Hi Coffee,

Visit Britain are partially to blame for the drop in visitor numbers. It doesn't promote Blackpool at all. On its web s6ite last year it didn't even list Blackpool illuminations in its top ten things to do throughout the whole period! When I did a search they displayed the wrong dates.

They are very anti Blackpool and see it as something to avoid rather than visit. They need to address this or someone from the regional tourist board does.

Visit britain needs to focus on the present and future rather the past. If you look at what's happening now in Blackpool VB should be ashamed releasing a story that compares 2007/2008."009 is already a bumper year for Blackpool. If they were stuck in the miles of traffic,leaving Blackpool on the M55 between Kirkham and the M6 last night they would have changed their biased minds. It must have been at least 5/6 miles long.

In fact I believe that VB should be very concerned about this. We will probably have a new Minister covering tourism next year. Lets say things will change if that happens. Visit Britain might just get the visit kicked out of them, that is a communicated fact!

I have strong suspicions that they (VB)only represent the most elite of tourist destinations like historic cities or rural aspects and not the traditional working class seaside towns. The MP who has noted this was beaten up last week in his home seaside town standing up to yobs! If I were VB I would be very affraid. The jobless figures for bias arrogant tourism bosses will be

up in 2010 compared to 2009.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
674 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drop In Blackpool Visitors

I think one of the reasons is DEFINATELY Liverpool becoming more popular. (i live there myself). Its gone really upmarket with the new Liverpool One shopping centre, New Pier Head and ferry terminal and lots of other big improvements. I hardly recognise it myself now. lol.Its really cleaned up and got its act together and is more poular than Manchester now.

newcastle/england
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drop In Blackpool Visitors

I have just returned from my annual visit, and was lucky to catch the hot weather !

The new prom is great, but sadly let down by the tatty state of the boarded up shops and arcades just across the road. Its a shambles really, but what can be done ? Even Funland has closed down.

Nobody wants to invest in the current economic climate, so i can see no improvement at least in the short term.

Its also obvious that its a poor season. Every hotel/guest house on St Chads Road where i was staying had vacancies.It must be a real struggle to survive when b+b is down to £15 a night in some places

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Drop In Blackpool Visitors

"The new prom is great, but sadly let down by the tatty state of the boarded up shops and arcades just across the road. Its a shambles really, but what can be done ?"

I brought this up some time ago, is the rent too high in these places for businesses to make profit?

Why aren't the council doing something about this to ensure that the shops and arcades across from the prom are not left vacant?

Dunfermline, Fife
Level Contributor
578 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drop In Blackpool Visitors

"Its also obvious that its a poor season. Every hotel/guest house on St Chads Road where i was staying had vacancies.It must be a real struggle to survive when b+b is down to £15 a night in some places"

Midweek in June is traditionally a very quiet period for the town.

Advanced bookings are well up on last year and I'm sure Blackpool is going to have a fantastic summer season.

It is a shame, however, about all the closed/boarded up premises on the East side of the Tramway. The Woolworths building for example being particularly bad.

Who knows, it might just take a couple of really good seasons - like the one going on just now - and investment might just start pouring into the resort again.

Blackpool is getting the visitors back this year. The hardest part is going to be ensuring that they want to keep coming back over and over again.

newcastle/england
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drop In Blackpool Visitors

Third Doctor, i enjoy your posts but with respect how do you know that "advanced bookings" are up on

last year". Have you personally asked each hotelier ?

I can tell you that the "vacancies" signs were also up over the weekend not just midweek.

If people are returning to Blackpool as you claim there is no hard eveidence to prove this.

My own hotel the Strathdon is 30% down on future bookings, and i suspect that this is the norm not the exception.

The recent investment on the prom is very welcome, but there is an awful lot more to be done as you well know.

Dunfermline, Fife
Level Contributor
578 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drop In Blackpool Visitors

It's nice to know my posts are enjoyed :-P

However, I assure you I'm not in the habit of saying something without thinking it through and having something to back my point up.

It's fairly evident that I haven't spoken to every hotelier. However, I have made friends with a good few in Blackpool and each of them I have spoken to this year have said their advanced bookings are significantly ahead of where they have been in previous years.

I am also an administrator on another forum (plug time !) dedicated to Blackpool. Some of our members are folks who work in a number of Blackpool attractions and they would also confirm the same. Admittedly a lot of these additional visitors may just be day-trippers but at least there is evidence people are coming back.

I also read the Gazette website every day of the week and there have been several reports in there about how well the town is going in 2009.

From what I gather, the only attraction which hasn't seen a massive increase in visitors is the Pleasure Beach.

Get answers to your questions about Blackpool