We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking at Blackpool Airport

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
190 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Parking at Blackpool Airport

Hi

Can anyone please advise if they have had difficulty with the free parking at Blackpool Airport, i.e. did they struggle to get a space. I am due to fly out of Blackpool shortly and a colleague who has recently flown from Blackpool has told me that the parking was a nightmare. Just wondered if this was unusual or a regular problem? May have to consider a taxi if it is going to be a problem.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking at Blackpool Airport

I've only tried it once since the 'free' parking was introduced and it was a nightmare. The main carpark was completely full so I tried the overflow field which was equally full. I ended up having to park in the short stay carpark, which cost a small fortune for 24hours (fortunately I was on business and my employer footed the bill). Part of the problem was there was staff outside to advise on spaces - when I finally got inside and complained i was told there were a dozen spaces on the overflow field but if there were it wasnt obvious.

I have to point out this was over 18 months ago (I've avoided flying from Blackpool since) and from what I hear passengers numbers are falling so it might be getting easier to park.

If you live fairly close then I'd say get a taxi or at least get there very early to have plenty of time for circling the carpark and field looking for the elusive spots.

Blackpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Blackpool
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking at Blackpool Airport

The development company who own Blackpool Airport brought in a ''development fee'' of £10 per passenger from 5th January 2009. This gives ''free'' parking, whether you have a car or not!!

Ryanair pulled out their services from Blackpool - A huge loss to the resort.

ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-slams-developmen…

The RAF camp which became Pontins, the freehold was acquired by Trevor Hemmings, and by only releasing 1 year leases on the site, and gaining planning for housing on the site resulted in Pontins leaving Blackpool. Is the Airport destined for Housing too?

Edited: 15 June 2011, 20:59
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking at Blackpool Airport

sorry, my reply should read 'there was NO staff outside to advise on spaces'

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
190 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking at Blackpool Airport

I rang Blackpool Airport and they told me you will always find a space on Car Park 2 - we will see!

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking at Blackpool Airport

car park 2?....that'll be the field then! Good luck!

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
190 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking at Blackpool Airport

Just to update - found a space on car park one!! Minor miracle as it was jam packed. When we taxied down the runway past car park 2 there did seem to be spaces in the field!! When we arrived back someone had been clamped on car park one, they had clearly blocked another car in. Imagine that you get back off your flight and someone has blocked you in - wonder how the airport handle that. Pay for you to get a hir ecar?? Be careful where you park is my advice.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking at Blackpool Airport

thanks for the update, glad it worked out for you.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,753 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking at Blackpool Airport

The Ryanair excuse is just that because they fly out of Knock which has a €10 charge for departing passengers and charges for parking. We did though get grounded at Blackpool once due to one of the Fire tenders breaking down which meant that Ryanair could not land or depart.

Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking at Blackpool Airport

What an awful shower they are. Parking is terrible, We were delayed leaving Palma airport and would have been back at Blackpool for 12.10am but Blackpool airport would not stay open for another hour so we had to land at Manchester airport where the service was admirable and then wait for Jet 2 to arrange a bus trip back to Blackpool where we arrived at 2.30am, children and disabled people amongst the passengers. It's time you pulled your socks up

Blackpool> I think Jet 2 should consider pulling out just like Ryanair!

Cumbria
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking at Blackpool Airport

What a rip off, my wife and i arrived back last night to find a parking ticket on our car, granted we had to park on a grass verge but we weren't blocking anyone in like some of cars we saw that had broad sided other vehicles.

We drove round the car park umpteen times, though with not a space to be found,we did also check to see whether any of the other cars that were parked on the grass verge had a ticket & not one had 1, so we assumed it would be ok. Plus we were stung for the so called £10.p.p. levy charge to upgrade of the airport,where is this being spent? ( I don't know where as it's a shi*hole !!! ) In total it has cost us £80 for 1 weeks parking!!!!!! It is a lot cheaper & more convenient to park at any of the other Northwest airports,as they do have enough car parking spaces for every potential car.

I thought Liverpool was bad, having to walk miles but i think Blackpool management should hang there heads in shame letting this carry on.

Answer........Simples,"DON'T USE BLACKPOOL AIRPORT TO PARK!!!!!!!!!!"

I'm not privy to the latest legisilation but i thought clamping became illegal?

When Blackpool airport employees drive into work every day and can they not see that they have a parking issue, or are they getting a nice backhander from the outside firm they use to fine the customers?????!!! Who are Parking Eye? This is the dodgey company who are issuing the fines! BE warned & don't get caught out like us & so any other poor customers arriving back to a £90 fine!!!!!!!

Google them and read the reviews......make your mind and decide weather or not to pay.

Get answers to your questions about Blackpool