We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to park for illuminations & Pleasure Beach

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,009 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to park for illuminations & Pleasure Beach

Can anyone suggest a good place to park to see the illuminations and visit the Pleasure Beach? Also I am looking for a good Fish & Chip restaurant - one that serves proper fish not a Birdseye frozen portion - it doesn't matter whether or not it is licenced. Thanks in advance.

England
Level Contributor
454 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to park for illuminations & Pleasure Beach

The best places for fish and chips are all off the promenade.

Yorkshire fisheries Topping St.

The cottage Newhouse rd

Seniors, Thornton Ceveleys and Carleton

The derby supper bar is o.k thats at the back of the Hilton on Dickson Rd.

The Middle Chippy Red bank Rd

Don't even think about getting fish and chip anywere near the prom

These are just for Tourists (Sorry) and they don't expect repeat

business, if the food is rubbish, so what you've paid your money

Tough. Go were the locals go they ensure repeat business.

Unfortunatley they are a bit off the beaten track but well worth it.

Parking in Blackpool is a real pain.

There are a lot of cheap car parks at the rear of the town head towards the train station to park. Then walk down to the prom

and catch a tram to Pleasure beach.

When the lights are lit. Catch a tram from Pleasure beach to

red bank Rd Bispham. This is were the light finnish.

Like I suggested above then walk down red bank rd to the

MIDDLE CHIPPY not the large ons at the very top avoid this

however tempting

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,009 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to park for illuminations & Pleasure Beach

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

England
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to park for illuminations & Pleasure Beach

Hi, Sue.

You can park on the promenade just outside the Pleasure Beach and leave the car there but it is quite expensive and you need to be there early to find a space. I think once there you can park all day provided you put enough money in the machine - others will know for sure. If you choose this option, the best way to see the Illuminations is to catch a tram from the Pleasure Beach as evening falls and get off at Bispham.

Once in Bispham you can walk down to the Middle Chippy if you like, (take away only) and then back up to the prom and a walk back towards the Tower admiring the famous tableaux. You can get back on a tram to the Pleasure Beach, (and your car), when you are tired of walking.

Another good place to park is at the Bonny Street car park behind Sea Life. Alternatively, you could drive to Bispham and look for free street parking and catch the tram to the Pleasure Beach - visit for the day and then back to Bispham on the tram.

Yorkshire Fisheries on Topping Street, (take away and sit-down) is definitely the best place, (IMO), for fish and chips. It's not posh, but it's cheap and the food is good quality. There is parking nearby in the old bus station and in an outdoor lot across the road from the station.

Hope this helps.

Blackpool
Level Contributor
345 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to park for illuminations & Pleasure Beach

Parking on the prom has a time limit on it now - I'm sure Blackpool Council are wanting to drive tourists away! I thik the limit is four hours, but you cant put more money in and stay, you have to move and you can bet your life you wont find another space.

I dont suppose anyone has ever thought of this - i hadnt until a parking warden mentioned it to me the other day. But Blackpool Council car parks have those tickets where you pay for a certain amount of time and have to ensure that you are back in time rather than, as in NCP car parks, pay on return for the time you have used.

They wouldnt be able to issue parking tickets for overstaying by a minute if they had the NCP type ones!

Anyway, sorry sue, Ive diversified from the topic. I drove past the car park behind the Pleasure Beach the other day (I think the road is Bond Street) and their car park has a sign saying park all day and meal - £4. What the 'meal' is likely to be, i wouldnt like to guess! But Isobelle is right, all the prom chippys are awful. The nearest one i can think for you is to go to if you park near the Pleasure Beach is on Squires gate lane, just as you turn off the prom , its on a row of shops on the left. Perhaps you could park up, walk down to Starr Gate/Squire Gate past all the prom artworks, get your meal (there is a seating area) then get the tram to seethe Illuminations. Lots of people who park near the south of Blackpool dont go as far as bispham to see the lights but it is well worth getting a tram as the lights from Gynn Square to Bispham are fantastic!

Mrs B

Dunfermline, Fife
Level Contributor
578 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to park for illuminations & Pleasure Beach

"Bond Street Chippy" is just a stone throw from the Pleasure Beach and isn't too bad at all.

Mind you it is time that chippies down south started offering the artery busting food that they do up here in Scotland...Where are all the steak pies, scotch pies, king ribs and half pizzas !?!?!

Mrs B, the mind truly does boggle as to what the "meal" is at the Pleasure Beach. For a place that used to pride itself on the quality of it's food it has gone rapidly downhill. Used to like nothing more than lunch in Bourbon Street watching the River Caves and Gold Mine go past. Wouldn't touch it now.

Mind you the hot do-nuts and waffles do still take some beating ;-)

Blackpool
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to park for illuminations & Pleasure Beach

why dont you just park at the pleasure beach car parks

as it is so convienient and starts you off on a no stress day as nothing worse than looking round for a parking space

and as for a chippy go onto waterloo rd and there is one called (first right past macdonalds on the prom)

harold rigby -- eat in or out - (nice local chip shop with fresh food and secret batter )

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to park for illuminations & Pleasure Beach

If the car parks are run by the Pleasure Beach, the meal is a free main course in one of the restuarants when you buy another one. I think that it is limited to one or two restaurants in the PB, but more info will be available both on your ticket or by asking the gatekeeper.

By the way - the American style steak house "Coasters" used to be fab, but went through a phase a few years back of being nasty. Anyone been there recently?

There is also another steak house south of the PLeasure Beach - it is stuck in the middle of a block of hotels so I think it may have been a hotel at one point. Anyone been in?

8. Re: Best place to park for illuminations & Pleasure Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 22:20