We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rutland Water - where best to overnight and hike?

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Rutland Water - where best to overnight and hike?

Friend and I will be travelling (with car) from London and Leeds respectively and wondering where best to base ourselves for a weekend of walking. We'd like a nice B&B + a local pub ideally within walking distance of B&B but are happy to drive to start a walk the next morning if necessary. Neither of us has ever been to Rutland. Thanks.

6 replies to this topic
Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
6,459 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rutland Water - where best to overnight and hike?

The problem with living locally is that you have no need to sample b and bs. That said, it would be impossible to beat the location of the Walled Garden at Barnsdale ( I fear this only has one bedroom) and Lakeside at Barnsdale. Overlooking Rutland Water, walks go past your door and the settings are stunning. Barnsdale Lodge Hotel has a pub-like ambience and does superb food but it is a good 10 to 15 minute walk away. Another possibility is Broccoli Cottage in Manton, a pretty village that overlooks the reservoir but is not on the water's edge. The Horse and Jockey pub in Manton is well regarded. If you want pub accommodation your choice is much wider. Ones that come to mind are the Noel Arms in Whitwell, the Finches Arms in Hambleton, the King's Head and the Cuckoo in Wing and many more. The two market towns of Oakham and Uppingham are also worth considering. I prefer Uppingham which is further from Rutland Water but closer to the very attractive Eyebrook Reservoir and I would particularly recommend the Vaults, the Falcon and the Lake Isle as three great places to stay and to eat.

Edited: 09 May 2013, 21:20
Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
6,459 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rutland Water - where best to overnight and hike?

BTW, I noticed you posted this in the Leicestershire forum and not the Rutland one. Are you deliberately trying to rile the locals!?

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rutland Water - where best to overnight and hike?

For walks, there's obviously the path round Rutland Water, and from there up to Exton & through the EXton estate. There are also some lovely walks on footpaths to the west of Oakham - vaguely in the Braunstone/Launde Abbey direction for example.. The Lord Nelson is a very popular pub in Oakham if you find yourselves there.. good food and beer. The area's full of nice pubs.. as above, I can't really comment on B&Bs I'm afraid.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rutland Water - where best to overnight and hike?

Thanks - that's a fabulous response.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,573 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rutland Water - where best to overnight and hike?

East Leicestershire is one of the hidden gems in England for walking. Lots of public footpaths in quintessential English countryside and on many you won't see another soul. I second the idea of walking in the Laude area, but Burrough Hill and the area around Tilton and Marefield is also good. Don't tell anyone else though - we would like to keep it as a well kept secret!

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,924 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rutland Water - where best to overnight and hike?

If you are coming to Rutland, do add the White Horse at Empingham to your list. It has recently had new owners and a refurb. The food and drink are good and I fancy that the rooms will be so too.

The Tithe Barn in Cottesmore is very good but the local pub isn't.

Have a great time.

Reply to: Rutland Water - where best to overnight and hike?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Leicestershire