We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London-Leicester

Mauritius
12 posts
Save Topic
London-Leicester

Hi there,

I would very much appreciate your advice at this stage..

In fact I am reaching London on 10th July 2013 at 19 30 approximately and I already need to be present in Leicester on 12th..

I would very much appreciate your advice how to reach leicester taking into consideration that i have a mobility problem and walk rather slowly..

Thanks load in advance. Eagerly waiting for your response..

Level Contributor
3,224 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: London-Leicester

Hotels in Leicester: there's a Premier Inn and an Ibis very near the station. An easy walk to city centre and the cultural quarter.

About a mile away, but well sited for the historic parts, is a Travellodge, a Holiday Inn and a boutique hotel called Maiyango.

In Leicester, visit the old Guildhall, which currently has a free exhibition about the discovery of Richard III. There are a couple of small museums, also free. Plus a bit out of town is the Space Centre (quite expensive).

Leicester's not a tourist city but it's a really nice city to walk around. Two universities. Very friendly, very multi-cultural, good shops - mix of big names and indies - and a thriving arts scene. Plus the Belgrave area, just outside the city centre, is known as the Golden Mile - great curries, sari shops, Indian jewellers.

Train fares to London vary wildly, depending on the day, the time, the type of train. It is usually more expensive going TO London than from it: walk-up fare is astonishingly high, around £130. The cheapest I've managed to get to London for is around £50, by booking in advance, off-peak, on a specific train. On the bright side, it's a good speedy service, not much more than an hour to St Pancras.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,364 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: London-Leicester

If you want to go straight from the airport to Leicester (you don't say how you are arriving in London), check out the National Express coach for a direct journey.

The 230 route runs from Gatwick and Heathrow Airports, the 767 from Stansted and Luton Airports.

nationalexpress.com/assets/…230.pdf

nationalexpress.com/assets/…767.pdf

Book via the main website: www.nationalexpress.com

You can also use National Express to travel from Leicester to London.

One tip on train fares: I think you are looking too early for train fares for the journey back to London. The cheap Advance fares are only released a few weeks before travel date. If you don't see any 'Advance' fares for the date you want to travel, try again a few days later. Also, avoid travelling to arrive in London during the morning peak.

Edited: 24 April 2013, 11:57
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: London-Leicester

The premier inn might be visible from the station forecourt and I think it's the closest, I can confirm it has two decent size lifts and a good restaurant.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: London-Leicester

The reason for the expensive fare on the return to London could be it's beyond the booking window for cheap tickets - at present I believe 12 July is the latest date that's actually bookable

You could also look at megabus - who offer cheap fares on East Midlands trains as well as running buses. Their rail fares certainly won't be there yet - they tend to come out about 6 weeks prior to travel

Edit: £110 is utter rubbish - the walkon anytime fare is only £77

And my surmise about dates was correct - you can't get cheap tickets after 12 July or so

Edited: 24 April 2013, 17:19
Mauritius
12 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: London-Leicester

Ok, i guess staying in a hotel near Heathrow would be a fine idea and from there catch a coach straight to leicester.National Express

Can you pls suggest some hotels situated both near Heathrow airport and the place to catch the bus!

thanks loads..

Mauritius
12 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: London-Leicester

Hi guys,

There is an interesting possibility regarding coach from National Express.

I might consider this option. might stay in a hotel near Heathrow overnight and then catch the coach the next day. direct route to leicester..it is rather cheap as well..

if you guys know an affordable hotel near Heathrow terminal 4 pls let me know..

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: London-Leicester

The coach I think stops at one of the bus stations 5-10 minutes from the centre, I've walked it myself down a hill or through a shopping centre depending which one it serves, but I think it's the one which is bright blue in colour but if you book the Premier inn, you'd be walking through the city centre with luggage and its not easy with a suitcase even on wheels.

Hinckley
Level Contributor
123 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: London-Leicester

Impressed with everyone's helpfulness on this thread!

In terms of hotels near terminal four, can I suggest you raise that question on an appropriate London thread. You are likely to get a better response than on a Leicester thread

Yes, the bus will stop at the bus station. This will be a ten minute walk from the Premier Inn suggested above.

The Sky Plaza hotel is just around the corner from the bus station, but note the less than complimentary reviews on this website!

Another alternative is to take the 230 bus to Braunstone (in the suburbs south of Leicester), which will drop you off across the road from Premier Inn Fosse Park. You don't describe where you need to be when you arrive in Leicester, but this will leave you outside of the city centre. Some (from a backwater like Nottingham or Derby) will say this is no bad thing...

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
467 posts
528 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: London-Leicester

If you do decide to use the coach to get to Leicester, you will be closer to the Travelodge (Leicester Central} than Priemerinn which is closer to the train station.

Travelodge is right in the city centre on the outside of the Highcross shopping area, lots of places to eat nearby

very close to the historic area, Jewry Wall (Roman site) Guildhall, Newarke Houses, St Mary de Castro church, Castle Gardens. Don't miss The Lanes area just off the HighSt, lovely walking area with independent shop close to the Cathedral too.

Mauritius
12 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: London-Leicester

Hi there!

Indeed really very grateful for all the interesting posts and suggestions..thanks!

Actually I will need to go to the university of leicester...