We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diwali 2013

London, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Diwali 2013

We will be visiting my daughter who is at uni in Leicester and thought we would time it to catch some of the Diwali celebrations - lights, fireworks etc. I know it's in early November but any suggestions which would be the best couple of nights to be there?

Thanks

Hinckley
Level Contributor
123 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diwali 2013

Hi

Leicester City Council's website has the Diwali festival in Leicester as 20th October.

leicester.gov.uk/your-council-services/…

Other details can also be found on the website.

The action centres around Belgrave Road which is about a 15 mins walk from the town centre. You can try and get a taxi, but with circa 30k people in the vicinity be prepared for gridlock.

Obviously you won't be short of places to snack and eat, however if you want a proper meal, I would recommend booking in advance as I don't think every restaurant will be open, and the restaurants may well be full. I would recommend Curry Fever on Belgrave Road or the Kyber on Melton Road.

I recall there is a hotel on the junction of Belgrave Road and Loughborough Road, but other than that I think the others will be in Leicester Town Centre.

Belgrave Road is near the National Space Centre, and Abbey Park, both of which are worth a visit, but check the opening times of the Space Centre, as it might not be open every day of the week.

It will be noisy, vibrant, and a whole load of fun. Indulge (and indulge on the gorgeous food!) and enjoy!

On edit:- The Leicester City Council website also lists a Diwali Festival in November! The one in October is the one with the light switch on, fireworks, lots of people etc. I've never visited the November one....if anyone else could comment, I would appreciate their views...

Edited: 29 June 2013, 14:09
Hinckley
Level Contributor
123 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diwali 2013

I can't edit my reply above again, so its a new post I'm afraid.

Re-re-rereading the Leicester City Council website, Oct 20th is the light switch on with fireworks etc, however it seems the November event, which I am assuming is Diwali day has even more visitors and is a bigger celebration, but having never visited Belgrave Road on Diawli day, I cannot comment on what this involves!

In my haste to be helpful, I may have only confused matters!

I would really appreciate some other views on this.

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diwali 2013

Lived there for years. Both events are fun. The light ceremony is often staged with speeches and celebrities etc. the Diwali day itself is more fun. The food is fantastic. Bear in mind this area is predominantly Gujerati, so a lt of vegetarian food and loads of sweets. Enjoy

Delhi
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Diwali 2013

Well in India Diwali will be celebrated on 3rd November but in Leicester the event will be celebrated in October

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diwali 2013

Like with the Christmas lights, the Diwali lights are turned on ahead of the actual day itself- as a lead in. The Lights switch on is a big deal. The Belgrave Road is closed off and there is all kinds of entertainment and great fireworks. But beware - it is very crowded but tons of fun. personally my favourite place to eat there is the Sayonara - beautiful Gujerati veggie food. Go - it's unlike any experience you will get in this country - have fun.

UNITED KINGDOM
Level Contributor
13 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diwali 2013

Do come visit Leicester at Diwali... you will get to feel the Indian Buzz in this great city. Below I've summarised the events taking place

Sunday 20th October - 6:30pm - 8:30pm - Diwali Light Switch On on the Belgrave Mile

Sunday 3rd November - 6:30pm - 8:30pm - Diwali Day on the Belgrave Mile

visitleicester.info/things-to-see-and-do/…

I would say personally Diwali Day is the time to be in Leicester but both days are good and if you have good weather - there will be a bumper crowd

Places to stay in Leicester. I'd recommend the Ramada encore in Leicester city centre and comfort nights hotel (Kabalous) if catching the belgrave Diwali celebrations... its on the golden mile and well positioned to soak in the atmosphere

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diwali 2013

Hiya

If I understand correctly, the mela (street party) is actually on Diwali which is on Sunday 3rd of November. That's when there will be fireworks and stuff. The lights are being turned on 20th October so that would also be a good day to go, but that is a Sunday too. Hope that helps! :-)

8. Re: Diwali 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Leicester