We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Market 2007

Which Lincoln hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln, England
Level Contributor
88 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Market 2007

The local press are reporting a downturn in numbers for the market this year. The official explanation is the weather but many people say it is getting tackier and not worth visiting. We lived in Germany for a while and I have to admit the markets there were brilliant. Lots of traditional and very Christmassy stuff (not burgers, more burgers and tat). We didn't visit this year for just that reason. What did anyone else who came along really think?

Boston
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Market 2007

Hi Linc

Totally agree , I went on the Saturday and although the weather was terrible they seem to be getting more and more food stalls , from right before you enter the arch you have various food stalls and a food market to right at the end , even a bit of effort in making the food differnet would help except we had the endless bacon/sausage and burger bars , I don't know who is responsible for the outlay of the market and maybe there was no interest from actual Xmas stalls so they filled the gap with food bars?

I fully understand food sells but come on guys there is a limit , on top of this we have enough large people in the country without encourging them to get even bigger

Such a shame and unless they turn this around it will go downhill every year , really frustrating to write this but the baffoons who organise this event need a kick up the backside before it's too late , SORT IT OUT LINCOLN!

Lincoln, England
Level Contributor
88 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Market 2007

The letters in the Lincolnshire Echo seem to bear this out so hopefully the Council will take notice and sort things out. Happy Chrismas to you and yours Pete!

Boston
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Market 2007

Many thanks Linc

I seemed to go off on one after reading my post again!

Anyhow , best wishes to you and wishing everyone a happy Xmas and New Year

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Market 2007

I was extremely disappointed. There was virtually no Christmas atmosphere whatsoever - surely a Sally Army band and similar could have been playing carols. But I had two major complaints

1) Tacky stalls and EXPENSIVE - no bargains to be found, surely the main raison d'etre of a market.

2) £10 for the park and ride several miles away - yes £10!!!

Will not be going next year.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Market 2007

My wife went last year and sorry to say she was very disappointed with it. As has been said it was the quality of the stalls and lack of atmosphere.

From talking to her it sounds that this market has decided to stand still while many other Christmas markets have improved year on year. A good example is here in Birmingham, which has a traditional German market from our twin city of Frankfurt. The market has grown year on year and is now the largest such market outside of Germany and Austria, and gets crowds that I have only ever seen when in Germany myself, and has such a wonderful atmosphere (especially at night) with the way the stalls have been designed and decorated.

Lincoln, England
Level Contributor
88 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Market 2007

For those of you outside Lincolnshire, there have been loads of letters in our local paper having a good go at the Council about how useless the market was. Apparently (although I haven't checked it out yet) they are putting an online comments thing on their website for people to say what they think. that should be interesting!

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Market 2007

It used to be a nice intimate market with a very Christmassy atmosphere. It has become just a big tacky market with little relevance to Christmas, other than the date on the calendar. We used to invite friends to stay on Christmas Market weekend, we stopped that years ago.

It disrupts Lincoln for little tangible benefit for the people of Lincoln and speaking to shop owners in Lincoln it actually increases trade very little for many of them.

Time to scrap it, or give it a radical overhaul.

East Midlands
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Market 2007

We had over 250 people trying to book our holiday apartments (most last minute - as usual!) to come to stay with us in Louth and see the Christmas market at Lincoln and it seems to be as popular as ever. Whilst I didn't go to see it this year all the guests we had staying with us did go (and so did my wife) and everyone, EVERYONE said is was brilliant. In fact one of them went on the day when it poured down with rain the whole time and they still enjoyed themselves.

I'm a little puzzled that the market has received some critisim. One person who said she hadn't thought much to it that I spoke to confessed afterwards that she didn't realise the market went beyond the castle and therefore didn't see all of it. I wonder if this has happened to anyone else and people have come away not seeing all of it?

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Market 2007

It is obviously still popular with visitors, or they wouldn't continue to turn up in large numbers.

I'm just speaking from a Lincoln residents perspective. The Christmas Market feel which won it its initial reputation seems to have disappeared and it is just another tacky market with fairground rides.

It is also extremely disruptive to Lincoln and does not seem to benefit at least some Lincoln businesses. In fact I know one or two service businesses who actually choose to close because it is their worst trading time, presumably because Lincoln residents don't venture into town.

Obviously owners of hotels, like you, do a roaring trade, but I guess you still would if the Market was brought back to its roots as a Christmas market.

10. Re: Christmas Market 2007

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 08:22
Get answers to your questions about Lincoln
Recent Conversations