We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary weekend in Lincoln

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
25 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Anniversary weekend in Lincoln

I am taking my husband to Lincoln for our wedding anniversary. I think I've got restaurants sorted but would be grateful if anyone could recommend bars / pubs with a good atmosphere but without excessively loud music and / or a very youthful clientelle that will remind me of my encroaching middle age (we are in our mid-30s).

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary weekend in Lincoln

What sort of Pubs/Bars do you like.

It is difficult to avoid youthful clientele altogether these days because Lincoln is a University City.

A couple start with:

White Hart bar, has good cocktails, but is pricey and can get very crowded.

Wig and Mitre is famous Lincoln pub. Quite traditional but upmarket, with a restaurant upstairs.

Widow Cullens Well. Good beer and lovely old building, but the beer is cheap and does tend to attract a young clientele.

If you have specific likes or dislikes I might be able to advise you a bit more accurately.

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
25 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary weekend in Lincoln

Many thanks for your initial suggestions, they all sound worthwhile checking out.

We love a proper English pub, although preferably without a tele showing the latest sporting fixutres displayed priominently on the wall. I've never been a fan of crowded places but I am also partial to a good cocktail so might have to check out the White Hart bar for a sneaky mid-afternoon tipple before it gets crowded. Also can't go amiss with a nice but unpetentious wine bar. Can't abide places where the staff are hired for their looks rather than their ability to pour a drink (lived in North London for years and unfortunately experienced a lot of those!).

I also like live music venues, but can't go anywhere with jazz as my husband abhors it.

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
25 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary weekend in Lincoln

p.s. also not a great fan of chains, tend to be fairly soulless and I've never seen the attraction of exactly the same decor and food being available the length and breadth of the country - might as well stay at home!

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary weekend in Lincoln

The only pubs I know of with live music is the Tap and Spile on Hungate. This is on Friday nights. It's a proper pub alright, but it has a "well used" feel if you know what i mean. Jolly Brewer usually has live music at the weekend and again is a proper pub.

The Victoria is the best known real ale type pub, this is uphill opposite the Charlotte House Hotel.

Most of the pubs in the historic uphill area will be proper pubs. Not many chain pubs up there and a low student density

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
25 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary weekend in Lincoln

Many thanks for your help and advice on this. We will be in Lincoln in March so I will let you know how we got on.

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
25 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniversary weekend in Lincoln

Hi Tim

I just wanted to let you know that we had a fabulous weekend in Lincoln. A wonderful city just perfect for a weekend break. I would go back in a heartbeat. My husband was even musing about upping sticks and moving! Thank you so much for your recommendations, getting insights from someone on the ground really helped to make the weekend special. Loved the cocktails at the White Hart!

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anniversary weekend in Lincoln

Glad you enjoyed yourselves.

Lincoln is a much overlooked city. As you say it's perfect for a weekend.

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anniversary weekend in Lincoln

Cant fault the Victoria pub from my days in the RAF.

9. Re: Anniversary weekend in Lincoln

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Lincoln