We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

very, very old pubs within driving distance from liverpool

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
very, very old pubs within driving distance from liverpool

Love the really old pubs for a few cold ones & lunch. The ol;der the better. Any recomendations? N` Wales, Knowsley, aintree, Cheshire. Thanks in advance. LFC

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: very, very old pubs within driving distance from liverpool

Try Thingwall, Raby, Parkgate, on the Wirral. Old pubs there.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: very, very old pubs within driving distance from liverpool

Thanks Peter.

Liverpool, England
Destination Expert
for St. Pete Beach
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
359 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: very, very old pubs within driving distance from liverpool

This is a really old one:

Situated on the A567, 9 miles from Liverpool, 11 miles from Southport stands the oldest inn in Lancashire - the Scotch Piper.

Enjoy!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: very, very old pubs within driving distance from liverpool

Two obvious choices are the aforementioned Scotch Piper in Lydiate (its now on the A5147 after the road was re-numbered a few years back). See entry in Wikipedia. I don't think they do much in the way of food but there are several interesting canalside pubs nearby along the A5147 and the Ship at Haskayne has a good reputation for food.

The other is the Wheatsheaf (aka the Thatch) in Raby village on the Wirral which can take some finding but is well worth the effort. Easiest route is from Junction 4 of M53 follow B5136 (B5151) towards Willaston past Clatterbridge Hospital and continue ahead on the B5151at a new roundabout where the B5136 turns off for Neston. Turn right in approximately one mile into Raby Mere Road for Raby Village. The Wheatsheaf does bar food and even has a formal restaurant in the adjacent cowshed!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
298 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: very, very old pubs within driving distance from liverpool

Try the Bootle arms in the old Melling village on the hill.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: very, very old pubs within driving distance from liverpool

thanks guys. I printed them all out & hope to visit all in May (me poor liver) Any more?? What about pubs that brew their own (camera) As you can tell I like me pints. Life is good.

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
63 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: very, very old pubs within driving distance from liverpool

Not as old as you're looking for perhaps, but if you want a pub that brews its own look no further than Cains' Brewery Tap. The pub has been restored to its full Victorian splendour and you can take an excellent brewery tour that includes two free pints. www.cains.co.uk/index/articles_view.php…

Also worth a mention is the excellent Philharmonic Dining Rooms in the city centre, just for the sheer gorgeousness of the place (and famously, the men's loos). The Everyman Bistro is historical in a different way - a key component of Liverpool's art scene, especially in the 60s - but it's a great real ale pub and no way will you find better food in any other drinking establishment!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: very, very old pubs within driving distance from liverpool

Nezz. Thanks for the tips but we have already done caines pub & tour...awesome & is that ever a good bitter (lager aint bad either) The Phil is quite the place too & the wife has been in the mens loo & taken a photo too. Also did the pub that sells mostly caines a couple of years back facing st georges gardens, the name eludes me Dr. feelgoods, Dr. Kildairs, Dr.hook, Dr. what was it? mcgillveries?? Hey we were drinkin`!!!!!. Also like the Carnarvon castle, side st off of church & the Grapes on Mathew st...boy Liverpool is the best city in the world. My wife is Canadian so I just love showing her all these old spots & she loves it too. Calls Liverpool `ome....when are we going `ome, when are we going `ome shes always saying. If you see me lieing on the floor at one of these great places in May please help me back to my stool. Hello my name is Kevin. Life is good.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: very, very old pubs within driving distance from liverpool

Inthesun - was it Doctor Duncans?

Have you tried Ma Boyle's and the Ship and Mitre?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: very, very old pubs within driving distance from liverpool

Yes. & no. Where is the ship & mitre?