We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adelphi Hotel - Public Relations Manager Appointment

Liverpool
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Adelphi Hotel - Public Relations Manager Appointment

Dear Tripadvisor Members.

The Britannia Adelphi Hotel, Liverpool has received an unfair amount of criticism about its condition, staff attitude and in particular crime levels. Common belief, it appears, on this website is that the hotel is taking no notice of your complaints and is only interested in making profit. I can assure you now that this is completely incorrect, and this is proven in the fact that I have been appointed, a Public Relations Manager. It is my responsibility solely to listen to guest concerns and advise the management to act appropriately regarding these concerns and improve the service offered to guests when they reside in the hotel.

It has come to my attention that the hotel has a negative image on this website in particular and so I will make it part of my weekly regimen to monitor and where appropriate, reply to guest concerns. I will also take direct contact from members through website messaging and I will be happy to reply to try and repair our broken, unjust, image

As previously mentioned, it is my duty to listen to what you would like to be done about the hotel so you enjoy it more, after all guests are the foundation of keeping the hotel running.

In the interim, please feel free to message me with or post below, any suggested improvements and I will pass them on to the hotel management for them to act appropriately. I will be regularly monitoring this site and should you take the time to share your experience at the hotel, I will be happy to discuss the matters with you further.

Assuring you of both mine and the hotels fullest attention.

Yours Sincerely,

Phil Routledge

Public Relations Manager

Britannia Adelphi Hotel

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Adelphi Hotel - Public Relations Manager Appointment

I used to live in Southport & one of my favourite treats when I was a kid was when my parents took me to afternoon tea at the Adelphi. It is a magnificent building that should have been maintained better. Never having stayed there, I can't comment on the standards.

However, on a fairly recent visit back to Southport, we had the misfortune of staying in the Prince of Wales. A hotel similar to the Adelphi, with a great reputation when I was living there, but absolutely dreadful now!

I think this shows a massive underinvestment & lack of committment by Britannia Hotels. So, Phil, while I admire your enthusiasm & hope you do manage to turn things around, I fear you will end up demoralised by the lack of support from your company. I do hope I'm wrong though.

You may find these threads interesting:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186216-i15-k78096…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186216-i15-k95896…

Good Luck!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,952 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Adelphi Hotel - Public Relations Manager Appointment

It is to be applauded that The Adelphi are making efforts to improve their reputation and it is wonderful to read so many encouraging posts from locals who desperately want to be proud of the hotel but (and you just knew that there was going to be a but) until the management at Britannia change the whole ethos of the chain then I can only see Mr Routledge's appointment as akin to a sticking plaster.

Having stayed at several hotels in the chain I think I am in a position to comment and I am in no doubt that the people who run Britannia hotels care about one thing and one thing only - profit. The total lack of understanding of the needs of customers in the 21st century is simply mind boggling. Just two examples of many -

1) The passing on of information. At the Stockport Britannia there were four coach groups staying one evening. The groups department booked three of the four groups in at the same time for dinner and neglected to arrange extra bar staff leaving lines almost out of the door and just one barman and a spotty faced youth who was too young to serve to deal with nearly 200 people trying to get fed and watered over a half hour period.

2) I was told that head office had instructed hotels to only supply teaspoons for 50% of the cups laid out at any one time because they had decreed that only 50% of their customers took sugar. Daft but true.

The words systematic failure come to mind and I fear one appointment (welcome as it is) is too little too late.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Adelphi Hotel - Public Relations Manager Appointment

Dear Members,

I apologise for my delay, I was under the wrong impression that I would be e-mailed when a new reply was posted. Please allow me to clear the backlog by responding to each of your posts in turn.

Sunshine817: Firstly, let me thank you taking the time to write such detailed analysis. I have printed it off and I am appropriately acting upon it. The hotels sales team has been made aware so they no they must appeal more to the Business Travel end of the market. In regards to where you mention that the lift should already be clean etc, that is the aim of my appointment as the hotel has realised that this is a problem and eventually, the lifts will always be clean. When that day comes, my work at the hotel will be done. Thank you for your support and comments; they are very useful and supportive.

Gazefc: The main problem with this Tripadvisor Meeting suggestion is that it could be easily abused. For example, anyone could create an account and select Liverpool as their location in order to get a reduced rate. Secondly, I have not had time to make noticeable or vast improvements. Arranging a Tripadvisor meeting so early on wouldn’t have any effect on your beliefs as there has not yet been a significant change. Also, you later go on to oppose yourself saying that I won’t change the Adelphi’s image on here. If I won’t, what is the point in arranging a Tripadvisor Meeting? Eileen Downey is still the current General Manager, but Brian Burchill has since left chain.

Senoraylan: I’m sorry to put this so bluntly, but I am not in a position to and will comment on another hotel’s condition. I will agree that a number of years back, Britannia Hotels as a company itself was less than reputable. But they are trying to change their image significantly. I’m sure most of you are aware that the majority of hotels, including the Adelphi, have been refurbished. I’m a little disappointed that you wonder why the Adelphi didn’t make the list of top 10, when you clearly state you have never stayed there. Thank you for your support.

Adamhornets: Have you actually stayed at the Adelphi? Each hotel has a different management team so in turn each hotel is different. If you belief all Britannia Hotels are failing I can only assume that the Head Office when it wasn’t in its heyday appointed incompetent management teams which has brought the chain’s reputation to where it is now. Please bear in mind I don’t work in the Head Office and cannot comment on how it is managed. Regarding the two examples you mention, example number one is entirely the error of Britannia Stockport management and I don’t believe you should blame to company for a management error. Can I see a source for your second example? I have never heard of such a story. I will check the rooms, restaurant and staff canteen to see if only every other cup has a spoon. If so I will order another box of them and put them in place on the empty cups. Thank you for your feedback.

Thank you all for taking the time to write in, and I can always be contacted by this thread or by message should you have anything further to ask or report.

With Regards,

Phil

Liverpool
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Adelphi Hotel - Public Relations Manager Appointment

Adamhornets,

I would like to add that your stories are rather inconsistent. Please see example 2 in your above post, then this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186216-i15-k78096…

In the above link, it is 160 people. In this thread, it is 200 people. In the above link, the queue of people wants a drink. In this thread, the queue wants food and drink and it nearly goes out the door, you get the idea.

Plus there is now a ‘spotty youth’ which I find a shocking comment. How old a person doesn’t give you the right to ditch them. Whether they are spotty or not doesn’t make a difference, and you should be grateful that he was there working, not ‘hanging around street corners’ as many other youths choose to do rather than work.

Phil.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,952 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Adelphi Hotel - Public Relations Manager Appointment

Phil,

I have stayed in 8 Britannia hotels (plus The Burstyn but that was before it was owned by Britannia) including The Adelphi. At no stage was I saying that The Adelphi was responsible for what went on elsewhere. I ought to have pointed out that these incidents happened a few years ago but from reading more recent reviews I can see that little has changed and that the problem was (is?) systematic within the Britannia chain.

I apologise for using the term "spotty faced youth" but the poor lad was totally out of his depth and not in a position to help as he was too young to serve and there were next to no glasses to collect as the one barman could only serve one person at a time. There were probably up to 200 people in total with 4 coachloads (4 coaches x 40-45 pax) and other guests hence the discrepancy.

The Adelphi teaspoon event again occurred a few years ago but I have seen the same thing at other locations. I was told that this was policy by a member of staff.

The point I was trying to make is that without good leaders at the top, you will not get good leaders throughout the organisation. This applies to any company not just a hotel chain but is more noticeable in the hospitality business. Not one of the Britannia hotels that I have stayed in had staff who were prepared to put their head above the parapets and, to use the example mentioned earlier "clean the mess up themselves".

You are first person that I am aware of to actually address the issues so I wish you luck but I would be more confident if I knew that management at head office were genuine in their desire to both improve the image of the company and (more importantly in my view) to invest serious money in both people and their hotels.

adamhornets@yahoo.com

Liverpool
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Adelphi Hotel - Public Relations Manager Appointment

Dear Adam,

I do communicate with the Head Office of Britannia Hotels passing on suggestions, what has been done in the day etc. But I never visit or rarely even talk to anyone on the phone so I unfortunately only know just about as much as you about what transpires over in Hale. I’m afraid that I cannot say anymore than you about how the company leaders operate, but they do pay (me at least..?) a very competitive wage.

I acknowledge your frustration about Britannia Stockport, as it is understandable that anyone would. However it is simply the law that he was unable to serve you. All I can do is apologise on the hotels behalf. I would be happy to help by providing you with the General Manager’s name to report your concerns but unfortunately there isn’t a Manager at that hotel currently. The last one, I am told, left on maternity leave.

Tomorrow I will do a stock count of cups and then spoons. If the number of spoons does not match the cups I will place an order so that there is one spoon per each cup. Hopefully in turn this will break the less than popular theme that is becoming apparent amongst Britannia Hotels. It may be a little change, but to quote a famous company ‘every little helps’.

This claim is based on my own research, but I believe I am the first person that has been appointed by this company to do the duties I do.

With Kind Regards,

Phil Routledge

Public Relations Manager

Britannia Adelphi Hotel

Liverpool L35UL

+44 (0) 151 709 7200

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Adelphi Hotel - Public Relations Manager Appointment

Phil,

I and no one on here is looking to get a 'cheap deal' of you or anyone...

so i tell you what i will do...

i will visit the hotel over this weekend and next weekend, and then i will see what i think...

and then so be it..i like a challenge ..

as i said , no on on here is looking for a stay at the hotel..but to be shown round , would not be such a bad thing, but you dont seem to be willing to do that...

i suggest that you get on with what you have to do, and leave this thread , as it is being flogged to death, and staying at the top of the list...i could easilt get all the lod ones back up to the top that have slated the hotel...

think you are giving us 'lip service' and not customer service !

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Adelphi Hotel - Public Relations Manager Appointment

also...if Miss Downey is GM at the Adelphi..

ihave seen her at the Prince of Wales in Southport..!!

is she also GM there too...?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
260 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Adelphi Hotel - Public Relations Manager Appointment

Phil

you state that Eileen Downey is still the current General Manager, but Brian Burchill has since left chain. I went for a Xmas Night out at the Adelphi on 15 December and I am almost certain that it was Brian Burchill that served us our carvery!!!!!

Nicky

Liverpool
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Adelphi Hotel - Public Relations Manager Appointment

Dear Members,

Gazefc, since you have that opinion of me I see no reason to offer you a show around of the hotel. Eileen Downey is the General Manager here, and Mr. Chris Walne is the General Manager of the Prince of Wales hotel in Southport. You say you will visit over the next few weekends, while we would love your custom, you may not see any significant changes yet as I have only been employed little over a week.

Nicky, Mr. Burchill has definitely left full time employment, however for TV value he may have made a guest appearance over the Christmas period. Possibly as a cook or waiter like you say due to his famous quote.

Kind Regards,

Phil Routledge

Public Relations Manager

Britannia Adelphi Hotel

Liverpool L35UL

+44 (0) 151 709 7200