We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adelphi Hotel - Public Relations Manager Appointment

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Adelphi Hotel - Public Relations Manager Appointment

Dear Tripadvisor Members.

The Britannia Adelphi Hotel, Liverpool has received an unfair amount of criticism about its condition, staff attitude and in particular crime levels. Common belief, it appears, on this website is that the hotel is taking no notice of your complaints and is only interested in making profit. I can assure you now that this is completely incorrect, and this is proven in the fact that I have been appointed, a Public Relations Manager. It is my responsibility solely to listen to guest concerns and advise the management to act appropriately regarding these concerns and improve the service offered to guests when they reside in the hotel.

It has come to my attention that the hotel has a negative image on this website in particular and so I will make it part of my weekly regimen to monitor and where appropriate, reply to guest concerns. I will also take direct contact from members through website messaging and I will be happy to reply to try and repair our broken, unjust, image

As previously mentioned, it is my duty to listen to what you would like to be done about the hotel so you enjoy it more, after all guests are the foundation of keeping the hotel running.

In the interim, please feel free to message me with or post below, any suggested improvements and I will pass them on to the hotel management for them to act appropriately. I will be regularly monitoring this site and should you take the time to share your experience at the hotel, I will be happy to discuss the matters with you further.

Assuring you of both mine and the hotels fullest attention.

Yours Sincerely,

Phil Routledge

Public Relations Manager

Britannia Adelphi Hotel

Liverpool
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
41. Re: Adelphi Hotel - Public Relations Manager Appointment

This is the most interesting and funny topic on Trip Advisor!!

I really want the Adelphi to do well but I think Phil is turning it into a bigger joke, maybe it for the best he stays off the forums. But I will miss the laughs. What would be funny though would be for Phil to be a hoax and nothing to do with the Adelphi at all.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Adelphi Hotel - Public Relations Manager Appointment

This has been a fascinating read. Wow, less than two weeks on the job and Phil has become defensive, condescending and accusatory, and burnt up all of the goodwill that his original announcement engendered. It could be the basis of a case study on how to make every mistake possible when starting a new PR job.

Any bets how long he will last in the job before his employers discover the walking disaster that he is?

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,411 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Adelphi Hotel - Public Relations Manager Appointment

In fairness to Phil he is not part of the Adelphi's management and can therefore promise very little. He can only undertake to listen to complaints and pass them on. Only time will tell if his appointment is beneficial either to the patrons or to the hotel. His mistake here was to start from the assumption that criticisms of the hotel have been 'unfair', an assertion which suggests he has listened to those within the hotel before he set about listening to its existing and potential customers.

Liverpool, U.K.
Level Contributor
66 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Adelphi Hotel - Public Relations Manager Appointment

Hi Phil

As a Scouser I have to say that it's about time that the Adelphi have decided to respond to the criticism. What I'd like to ask you though - are you just a PR person who's looking to smooth things over on Tripadvisor, or have you been put in the job to actually sort out the mess? Because that's what the Adelphi needs - a trouble-shooter - not a spin-doctor.

I sincerely hope you are the former and not just a PR person, because no amount of PR can make a bad hotel good. Someone needs to get their hands dirty.

I've had relatives come to stay in Liverpool on several occasions, and I tell them to read the reviews before they stay at the Adelphi. Of course, they've always chosen another hotel. That's something I'd like to change and I wish you good luck in your position.

Liverpool, England
Destination Expert
for St. Pete Beach
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
359 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Adelphi Hotel - Public Relations Manager Appointment

I think Phil's time on this thread has been an excellent introduction to how real people feel about the Adelphi, not his management and not his co-workers.

He has had it at first hand over 4 pages on TA, and those that don't agree with him are accused of "ignorance".

Frankly, it doesn't bode well for his ability to handle customers-if they don't agree with him, are they "ignorant" too?

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Adelphi Hotel - Public Relations Manager Appointment

Wansteader has got it right. The poor boy was brainwashed into thinking that the paying public had got it all wrong and the harridan Eileen was captaining a good ship. So she hired Phil a well-meaning guy with the best intentions to do a job with a title and no back-up. TA members please don't beat yourselves about the head because you have been accused of having the wrong attitude.If Scousers have many faults we have two attributes and they are that we have a sense of humour and we are realists.I was the first to welcome Phil online to his new job and to let him know if he didn't already that he had a tough task ahead of him.TripAdvisor can be an excellent free advertisement for hotels and I suspect Eileen Downey told Phil to get TA members onside.His initial enthusiasm was admirable but I think he may now have discovered that his talents would be better devoted to a different company to Britannia Hotels however much he was being paid (and he said it was very competitive).Nice boy-out of his depth and cruelly exposed. Shame really.

So what next for The Adelphi? Perhaps like Cunard Building and a large scale development into luxury apartments. If so doubtless they will find a way to fix the windows!

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,411 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Adelphi Hotel - Public Relations Manager Appointment

When I went to work in an NHS hospital ten years ago everyone was supposed to go on an 'induction' course, which among other things sought to train staff about dealing with patients and relatives and handling complaints. Unfortunately these courses were only held every so often, were often cancelled and were consequently over-subscribed when they finally did take place. The result was that you could be working in the place for up to a year before you learned these 'essential' skills.

Perhaps Phil has not yet been sent on the necessary courses. Let's hope they're not like the one Frank Spencer went on, where the exasperated course leader finally burst out: 'You're not here to help people, you're in customer relations!'

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,441 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Adelphi Hotel - Public Relations Manager Appointment

What I still cannot work out, assuming the reviews and posts I read are true and from my short stays at the hotel a couple of years I have no doubt they are, is why the hotel is still allowed to function. If it was that bad then surely the police or the authorities would have attempted to do something and that something would have been reported in the local press?

It is a pity that Phil has got so defensive as I've not read one post that doesn't want the Adelphi to succeed.

Get answers to your questions about Liverpool