We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains - Liverpool to London

Vermont
Level Contributor
63 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Trains - Liverpool to London

I'm traveling from the USA and am planning on taking a train to London from Liverpool on the evening of July 26. About a month ago it seemed that there was a direct train to London's Euston Station. Now the only schedules I can find involve several train changes. Did I wait too long and the direct trains are booked? I'm concerned that the connections are too tight and I might get stuck somewhere for the night before making it to London. Am I missing something or was I just really stupid to think I could wait till I got to the UK to book the reservation?

Thanks.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains - Liverpool to London

Ah July 26th - that's the problem. There is major work going on replacing all this track. Unfortunate for you that Saturday and Sunday a big bit of track will be closed and part of the route will be done using a bus instead.

Sorry. Can you change your plans to avoid travelling on a weekend?

London
Level Contributor
10,033 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains - Liverpool to London

As already stated, there are no direct trains on Saturday during the summer due to engineering.

However, if you want to avoid the 'bus replacement' (which are frankly always a miserable experience), there is one train per hour (on the hour) on Saturdays from Euston to Birmingham International. It goes on a diversion route via the Chiltern line - so it is a slow service. But at least it avoids the bus transfer.

From Birmingham Int, you'd need to take another train to Liverpool. So - still a complicated journey - even if a comfortable one.

I doubt Virgin will have any cheap tickets available - the lowest cost will be a saver.

It would be much easier for you if can arrange to travel on a different day.

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains - Liverpool to London

There are direct services on Sunday, 27th July. The cheapest fare is £61.60.

An alternative, on the Saturday, would be to take The National Express coach. Direct from Liverpool and it gives you a choice of drop off points in London. Because of the engineering works on the railway, the train would take over 5hrs., the same time as the coach.

The standard fare on the coach is £24.00 or £12.00 if you book quickly. These coaches leave Liverpool at 15.15pm. and 17.35pm.

www.nationalexpress.com/bp/b2.cfm…

Vermont
Level Contributor
63 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains - Liverpool to London

Thanks jfor your help. Unfortunately I can't change my travel dates. I have a Britrail pass and wonder if I should take a bus to a nearby rail station and then take a train. Does anyone have an idea of my best options?

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains - Liverpool to London

The obvious alternative would usually be from Manchester Piccadilly but in this case that wouldn't help you. The engineering work is taking place at Rugby, in The Midlands.

These are the routes that are affected London Euston, Watford Junction, Milton Keynes, Northampton, Rugby, Coventry, Birmingham International, Birmingham New Street, Wolverhampton, Stafford, Crewe, Manchester Piccadilly, Liverpool, Preston, Carlisle, Glasgow Central and Edinburgh.

Put simply, the complete West Coast.

You could go to London via Leeds, with just one connection, but I don't think that would save much time.

Maybe somebody else might have some ideas.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains - Liverpool to London

As OP holds a Britrail pass he /she can board any UK rail service without prior booking or need to buy a ticket i.e. comfort and convenience rather than cost is the issue here.

The route I'd suggest is train from Liverpool Lime Street to Birmingham New Street (2 trains per hour). From there it's a short walk (400 metres) to Birmingham Moor Street: www.shakespeareexpress.com/i_se_find_ms.htm

From Birmingham Moor Street there's an hourly Chiltern Lines train service to London Marylebone.

Total journey time around 4-1/2hrs with no replacement bus travel required as these routes are unaffected by current weekend engineering works.

London
Level Contributor
10,033 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains - Liverpool to London

And - since you have an all line pass - here is another alternative.

Leave from Kings Cross. Go to Leeds. Change there (all in same station) onto train to Liverpool. Not the obvious route - but given the chaos on the west coast line on your travel date - this will be just as quick.

The 1730 out of Kingfs Cross will get you to Liverpool at 2155.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trains - Liverpool to London

rcspiers, routing via Leeds is definitely an option for those with Britrail passes but OP is travelling southbound on July 26. Departure options are thus Liverpool Lime Street 1622hrs or 1722hrs, arrive London Kings Cross 2123hrs or 2232hrs. There's plenty of time to change trains in Leeds for the 1622hrs departure and, for the 1722hrs departure in York.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trains - Liverpool to London

If you HAD booked a reservation, it would have done you no good - the trains on which it was are not running.

The alternatives have already been well described.

10. Re: Trains - Liverpool to London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 12:19