We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions about liverpool

Mayo, Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
A few questions about liverpool

Hi We we are heading over to liverpool in march for the first time,staying at the staybridge suites. Can we get a bus handy to this hotel from the airport? Also i would really love if someone could recommend good reataurants and relaxed pubs in the general area. Thanks really looking forward to the trip!

UK
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions about liverpool

The No. 500 is the airport bus. Plus 82a, there are staff outside the terminal building who will be able to advise you. There is a flat rate for bus journeys of £1.70, the airport bus costs more, but is a faster service. A taxi would cost approximately £12-£15.

The bus station is opposite the Albert Dock, so only about 5 mins walk from where you are staying.

Re restaurants, what type/nationality do you prefer?

Mayo, Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions about liverpool

Thanks a million for that. We love most types of food especially seafood although not too expensive, Indian Thai also a favourite. The pubs we like are ones that have a bit of character not your super pub types somewhere a bit chilled out. Thanks again for your time on my answers this is my first time on this type of forum.

Mayo, Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions about liverpool

Edited: 21 January 2010, 21:34
Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions about liverpool

Your location is handy for shopping and the Albert Dock, but not brilliant for the type of pub you're looking for. The only pub in the Albert dock is the Pump House - it looks promising from the outside and is great for a drink looking over the docks in the summer, but inside it doesn't really have any character.

You're not far from the Baltic Fleet though - it's just the other side of the dock road (I think that stretch is called Wapping). It has lots of character, lots of good beers and good atmosphere.

Other pubs in town with a bit of character and decent beer are: Rigby's on Dale St and the Ship and Mitre on Dale St (the far end). Other proper boozers with character, but I'm not sure what the beer is like are: Ma Boyles off Water St; The Crocodile, Harrington St (?); The Pig and Whistle, Chapel St.

Thee aren't many places known for seafood, but the Italian Club Fish is definitely worth a walk (or taxi) up the hill to the top of Bold St - good atmosphere and good food (they also have one or two dishes to keep committed carnivores quiet).

It's harder to recommend places nearer to you - I think the Albert Dock is home to many over-rated restaurants, which are often expensive and more about style than quality of food. In Liverpool One there is Chaophraya, a Thai place which gets good reviews. Other places to eat in Liverpool One tend to be the same old chain places you'd find anywhere else - like Wagamama, Gourmet Burger, Las Iguanas etc etc.

There's a decent Thai place on North John St, opposite the Hard Days Night Hotel - can't remember what it's called though - Sabai something? Liverpool isn't known for good Indian or Pakistani food, but there are some good places in China Town if you fancy that. The best of the bunch are: Mei Mei (slightly more upmarket than the others, and has a few interesting thing on the menu), Yuet Ben (shorter menu than most and good cooking), Mabo (a cafe that closes at 8pm during the week, later at weekends. Bring your own wine or buy their chinese beer. Good for noodle soups and roast meats) and Chilli Chilli (has all the usual things, but also a Sichuan menu, which is really good).

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions about liverpool

The Albert dock is a tourist trap...

the Italian Club Fish is the one to go for for seafood..

but there are so many others ..

Dont forget we have our own China town which is on Nelson St off Berry St.

Once you are in town , there are so many pubs and places,

I would make a note of a few, but getting lost is the best way....lol

With Liverpool you are never far from somewhere you know

Belfast
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few questions about liverpool

Hi

The 500 bus is a direct bus from the airport to the city centre and costs £2.60.

For indian I really like Mayur on Duke Street, it has a fab interior and food and drinks are really good, they do some cocktails too. It is close to Alma de Cuba, where you could head for a few drinks in stylish surroundings later.

Hope Street is full of great restaurants and is lovely for a walk around. I really like The Quarter, which is quite casual, the food is lovely (italian/european) and they have a small but very decent wine list.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few questions about liverpool

My brother, on a recent visit, had a meal in the Baltic Fleet, and reported that the traditional sausage and mash meal he ate was the best he had ever tasted, and he isn't usually easily pleased.

8. Re: A few questions about liverpool

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2010, 05:15