We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bars/pubs

UK
Level Contributor
286 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Bars/pubs

We are staying next week Tuesday-Thursday. I am 26 and hubby 25 and we will be going out for food then hoping to go to one or two bars/pubs. Will anywhere be open these days til late? Somewhere with good prices and not too far from Atlantic Tower in taxi/walking?

We will probably ave a few drinks in the day and people watch anywhere nice for this?

Thanks

x

Unknown
Level Contributor
502 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bars/pubs

Mathew St and Concert square are open til late- good for nightlife and pubs!

People watching- The Albert Dock (v close to hotel!) plus the cafes in Bold Street are nice.

Do you like Chinese food? if you do, try a business lunch in the Mayflower, 3 courses for 5.50- bargain!

UK
Level Contributor
286 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bars/pubs

Thanks! I LOVE Chinese but hubby isnt too keen though he will eat certain things so may just have to pop there.

x

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bars/pubs

What kind of pubs and bars do you like?

Good beer/traditional?

Loud and funky?

Live music - and if so, what type?

Cocktails etc?

People watching is better when it's warmer weather, but, yes, the Albert Dock would give you that. The other end of town around Hope St and the Cathedrals also has some places worth trying - the Everyman, Kirklands (now the Fly in the Loaf), the Philharmonic and the Quarter is good for lunch/coffee/alcoholic drinks etc and a nice place to relax for a couple of hours. All these are very different, nice surroundings and good for people watching.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
323 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bars/pubs

Weather will probably not be conducive to sitting outside for a drink, so people watching will probably be best kept to indoors. Close by to your hotel in Water Street is Newz Bar and a bit further down on Victoria Street is The Living Room - both can get WAG types and people who like to be seen - hence both are a bit pricier for drinks. Victoria Street is then close to Mathew Street (home of the Cavern Club) where there are several late bars - still within staggering distance of your hotel. Beware that Thursday night if you are still here will be busy as it is the first day of the Aintree Grand National Meeting and the festivities tend to carry on in to the late evening in the city centre.

U H
Liverpool
Level Contributor
16 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bars/pubs

Hi, almost immediately opposite your hotel is the 'Racquet club' fabulous building with lovely bar and restaurant.

Not to be missed is Alma de Cuba, Seel St (about £3 in a cab) formally a catholic church, it has been beautifully converted, and retains the original alter (it has to be seen!) It's a pity you are not here at the weekend as they drop rose petals from the ceiling at midnight Friday and Saturday, and the Gospel choir who sing every Sunday for the gospel brunch are amazing.

The Restaurant Bar and Grill in Brunswick St(5 mins walk from your hotel) is also a gorgeous building, with superb food, and very trendy bar, immediately opposite is the newly opened Noble House.

If you like trendy bars Palm Sugar in Liverpool 1 is lovely, and great for people watching.

My favourite though, especially if you dont want to spend a fortune is the Quarter in Falkner street, off Hope St. (the only road in the world with 2 cathedrals!) it is very layed back with an ecclectic mix of clientel, the food is fab, and the desserts to die for, as is the view of the Anglican Cathedral.

Have fun, you'll be spoiled for choice!

U H
Liverpool
Level Contributor
16 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bars/pubs

Hi, almost immediately opposite your hotel is the 'Racquet club' fabulous building with lovely bar and restaurant.

Not to be missed is Alma de Cuba, Seel St (about £3 in a cab) formally a catholic church, it has been beautifully converted, and retains the original alter (it has to be seen!) It's a pity you are not here at the weekend as they drop rose petals from the ceiling at midnight Friday and Saturday, and the Gospel choir who sing every Sunday for the gospel brunch are amazing.

The Restaurant Bar and Grill in Brunswick St(5 mins walk from your hotel) is also a gorgeous building, with superb food, and very trendy bar, immediately opposite is the newly opened Noble House.

If you like trendy bars Palm Sugar in Liverpool 1 is lovely, and great for people watching.

My favourite though, especially if you dont want to spend a fortune is the Quarter in Falkner street, off Hope St. (the only road in the world with 2 cathedrals!) it is very layed back with an ecclectic mix of clientel, the food is fab, and the desserts to die for, as is the view of the Anglican Cathedral.

Have fun, you'll be spoiled for choice!

EDINBURGH
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bars/pubs

Hi All Liverpool experts out there, 3 of my friends and I are visiting Liverpool o n 23/4/10 for the weekend we have Friday night booked for Alma de Cuba,

but we are looking for some entertainment for Saturday pehaps are nice bar/ club with tribute Beatles band and also a good Karioke pub, we are staying at Albert Dock area but dont mind city centre.we are mostly middle aged but love to have a good night out and a dance.

Best Regards

Marydoll Edinburgh

U H
Liverpool
Level Contributor
16 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bars/pubs

Hi, to get the best result from your post you are probably best to ask a new question rather than tagging on to someone elses, then everybody will be able to see it and you'll get a better range of suggestions.

As for your weekend, probably best to head to Matthew Street (home of the Cavern) but even there I think you'll struggle to find a Beatles tribute band. You probably will find Kareoke though at one of the many bars, and the whole street is bouncing on a Saturday night. The city centre (and Matthew st) are only a 5 minute walk from the Albert Dock, you won't need a taxi.

If you let me know what type of things you like to do during the day, I'll try and help with some tips.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bars/pubs

I don't want to make assumptions, but you say you're a group of mostly middle aged people, and speaking as someone in their forties, I don't think that Matthew St will be what you're looking for. Personnally I hate it at weekends - it's full of stag and hen nights and people getting completely trollied ... but you may like that kind of thing - and Flairs would offer the chance of dancing to 70s/80s music.

The Saddle Inn on Dale St may be worth going to - I haven't been there for a while, but it used to have karaoke on some nights, and it has an atmosphere a bit like a local pub, which is unusual in the city centre. I don't know of any other karaoke places in town - it tends to be more of a local pub thing.

Not sure that you will be able to see a Beatles tribute band - that kind of thing doesn't happen throughout the year - you would have more luck during the Matthew St Festival. It might be worth googling it though.

It may be worth seeing what's on at Blundell St - they have other kinds of tribute acts on - brat pack type stuff mostly. They do food too - not the best meal in town, but if you like the idea of live music, food and dancing all in the same place it might be worth considering, and it's not far from the Albert Dock. There are also plenty of places in the dock which combine restaurant/bar and club in one place - but not much live music as far as I'm aware.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
268 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bars/pubs

me & hubby are in our 40's and regularly go down mathew street on a Saturday - saying that, we normally start about 5.30 and watch the dark horses downstairs in flanagans and then have a few in the grapes , the white star, the cavern pub (go for something to eat in the casa italia) and then go to the john lennon bar :) - in fact sounds pretty similar to what we wil be doing next weekend