We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silly to do multiple Beatles tours?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
339 posts
265 reviews
Save Topic
Silly to do multiple Beatles tours?

I'm a huge Beatles fan, and on my tenth anniversary trip (our first visit to the UK), we're making a full day of Liverpool.

I'm looking at the National Trust tour of John and Paul's childhood homes, the Fab Four Taxi Tour, and also maybe visiting the Beatles Story.... Really can't decide what to do. If we did all three that's £110!

What do you all think? I need advice from a Beatles fanatic who's done these things before to tell me what was great and what they wished they could un-do and get their money back!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silly to do multiple Beatles tours?

Realy confused....tenth anniversary trip..??

is this your first time to the home and birthplace of the fab 4..??

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silly to do multiple Beatles tours?

Wanton said "tenth anniversary" = tenth wedding anniversary

<<is this your first visit ?>> = wanton said "our first visit to the UK"

Seems pretty clear to me.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
339 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silly to do multiple Beatles tours?

Sorry- yes, tenth wedding anniversary

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silly to do multiple Beatles tours?

I don't know about the other suggestions, but I did the fab four taxi tour a couple of years ago. I'm not a fan, my companion was. He loved it, I was bored out of my mind!

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
841 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Silly to do multiple Beatles tours?

The two tours will be different as only the National Trust tour gets you inside the childhood homes of John and Paul - by all means, do both of those. The Beatles Story looks a bit cheesy to me... We are going in June and will be doing an extensive Beatles tour with Phil Hughes and the National Trust tour as well. I know that looks like a lot of money, but jeez... how much did you pay for your airline tickets? I've saved and looked forward to my trip for so long that I'm not going to worry about a hundred or so pounds.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Silly to do multiple Beatles tours?

I haven't been on any of them, but they all sound very different, so you wouldn't be doubling up on anything. When it first opened, I originally thought the Beatles Museum would be cheesy, but the people I know who have gone have said that they really enjoyed it - and not all of them are die hard Beatles fans. I reckon that as it's a special once-in-a-lifetime thing, then you should really go for it. It is a shame you can't spend a day or so more in the city though - there is lots more to see and you could take your time over the Beatles stuff.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
94 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Silly to do multiple Beatles tours?

If you're that avid a fan, stay for a couple of nights, and yes, do allll the tours....Mendips/Forthlin, Magical History Tour (the coach tour, or the taxi tour), and Beatles Story. You'll want to ride the ferry, wander around Mathew Street, and maybe Albert Dock. I so enjoy visiting the quiet of the Anglican, and that's Beatles territory as well.

Enjoy your anniversary....

Reading, England
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Silly to do multiple Beatles tours?

Hi there - When we visited Liverpool we went to the Beatles Story and really enjoyed it very much- didnt find it cheesy at all. When we went we were there early - i would think if it was crowded we wouldnt have enjoyed it so much as i would imagine it gets quite claustrophobic.In the evening we went to the Cavern and listened to a few bands.We especially enjoyed a Japanese cover band singing 'ruv ruv me do'.....what a scream !! Anyway - although im a fan, i dont think i wouldve wanted to do any other tours as i think the amount we did was just right - anything else wouldve been overkill. All in all - the Beatles Story ad Cavern visit were a great addition to our stay i Liverpool.

across the mersey
Level Contributor
219 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Silly to do multiple Beatles tours?

All 3 things offer something different but my concern is that you are setting yourself a punishing pace for the day with no chance to see what else the city has to offer.

The National Trust tours leave at 10 am or 10.50am from the Jurys Inn Hotel

next to Albert Dock and take 2hrs. the only days it does not operate are mon and tues. A taxi tour can take up to 3 hours but you could shorten this by arranging for the taxi to pick you up from Pauls House in Forthlin Rd ( I think this is the last house that is visited) Your taxi tour could start from there and finish in the city centre which should reduce the duration of this to under 2 hours. The taxi company will have probably dealt with similar requests in the past so can confirm the pick up time.

Beatles story at the Albert Dock can get very busy particularly at the weekend so I would encourage you to visit towards the end of the day. Last admission is 5 but the attraction does not close until 7pm. You are also likely to want a visit to the Cavern club which is a 10 minute walk from Beatles Story. I am told that Thurs is a good night for Beatles Tribute bands.

Finally as you are celebrating why not push the boat out and stay overnight.

The following may appeal

www.harddaysnighthotel.com/index.php?id=9

Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Silly to do multiple Beatles tours?

We will be visiting Liverpool in October when celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary. We plan to do all 3 of those tours (from the research I've done they are all quite different) but we will also be staying for 3 nights.

If I had to choose for one day though I'd choose the National Trust tour in the morning followed by a taxi tour in the afternoon.