We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

i'm going in mid july - tips on stuff to do, see etc.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
i'm going in mid july - tips on stuff to do, see etc.

Folks, my wife and i are going for a four day break in mid July and we'd like some genuine tips on places to visit, pubs to go to, reasonable places to eat etc..

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: i'm going in mid july - tips on stuff to do, see etc.

Please tell us what kind of things you like doing (music? Architecture? Art galleries? Museums? Football? Parks? Stately homes? etc etc). Also, it would help to know what kind of food and restaurants you like and what budget. The more you tell us, the more useful our replies will be.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: i'm going in mid july - tips on stuff to do, see etc.

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. My wife and I are mid thirties, into tours during the day - walking, bus, boat etc. We'd like to see a bit of the history of the city too, are looking for decent gastro pubs to eat, decent places for a beer at night (nothing too raucous!). We'll be there on a Saturday through to the following Tuesday. The Sunday we are there is the World Cup Final, will the local authorities be laying anything on in the City Centre (England in the Final would obviously make the atmosphere more exciting).

We'll be staying in Jury's Inn at Albert Dock but have no idea of the geography of the area - is that fairly central?

What about travel to and from John Lennon Airport? I know black taxis can be expensive enough but what about public transport?

Mentioned in this post
Albert Dock
Albert Dock
14,219 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
The City
The City
96 Reviews
Durham, UK
UK
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: i'm going in mid july - tips on stuff to do, see etc.

There are a number of boat trips you can take the Yellow Duck tours the docks (around Jurys Hotel) and then through the city centre, probably a good trip to take if you've never been to Liverpool before. There is also a boat which does a tour from the Albert Dock. Albert Dock website will have info. Plus the Mersey Ferry, which do river cruises - www.merseyferries.co.uk

www.liverpoolarchitecture.com may help you plan a walking tour, plus you can pick up leaflets or get info from tourist office - there's one in Albert Dock, just opposite Jurys. Plenty of galleries/museums to visit too

www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk, plus The Tate Gallery.

The Monro, Duke St, is about 10 minutes walk away - www.themonro.com, if you search through older posts, you'll find quite a lot on info on pubs and food - always a favourite topic!

Transport from airport approx £12 in private hire cab, about £15 in black taxi. Bus £1.70 (flat rate) 82A would be a good one to get (although this is a local service so has more stops. The airport bus No. 500, costs £2.50ish. Takes about 20 mins depends on traffic.

Mentioned in this post
Albert Dock
Albert Dock
14,219 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Mersey Ferry
Mersey Ferry
1,698 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Tate Liverpool
Tate Liverpool
1,598 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Jurys Inn Liverpool
Jurys Inn Liverpool
2,295 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: i'm going in mid july - tips on stuff to do, see etc.

The Albert Dock is very central, but has always felt slightly separate from the rest of the centre. Having said that, the Liverpool One development has somehow brought it more "inland".

Bars/pubs-wise, if you say nothing too raucous, do avoid Matthew St, Concert Square and Victoria St areas at the weekend - they are likely to be full of people on stag and hen nights.

If you like real ale, there are a few good places in town - on Dale St there is Rigby's (also does food, although nothing special) and the Ship and Mitre.

Exploring the Hope St area is a good bet if you want good pubs without too much raucousness. Kirklands (now called the Fly in the Loaf) on Hardman St is good for decent beer. Other good pubs include The Roscoe Head, Ye Crack, the Belvedere, and the Philharmonic - all very "Liverpool" (the Philharmonic is one of the old "gin palaces" with amazing marble, mosaics and wood panelling, and the other three are old pubs made up of small snugs). They are all popular but not crazy.

The Everyman bar and bistro on Hope St is worth a stop off - and they do very good and reasonably priced food. We're a bit short of gastro pubs in Liverpool, but other informal places doing good food at reasonable prices include: Cafe Tabac on Bold St, Italian Club Fish on Bold St and the Italian Club (sister place - but closes at 7 or 8pm), also on Bold St.

The Hope St area is very good for food as well as pubs - Host on Hope St itself does good Wagamama type stuff, but is better. The Quarter, round the corner, is also great for a cafe-style atmosphere and good food. If you want to spend a little bit more, then Puschka on Rodney St and The Side Door on Hope St are both very good, and still not overly formal.

The Liverpool museum and the International Slavery Museum are both good on the history of Liverpool. The architectural walking tour mentioned by AnotherTrip looks worth going on, as much of the city's history is shown through its buildings. The Yellow Duckmarine is great - good fun and you get to see a bit of the city too. The mersy cruises can be a bit too long - I think they are 2 hours or more - so, unless you really want to do it, you may be better off getting the commuter ferry over to Birkenhead and back - you get all the benefits of the river view of the city.

During the last world cup, Liverpool (along with a few other cities) had a big screen for the games - but this was soon stopped because of trouble a few drinkers caused. I'm hoping they'll give it another try, because it's great to watch games as a big crowd. If they do, it will be on the big television screen between St Johns precinct and the Clayton Square shopping centre - at the bottom of the steps on Eliot St. It might be worth searching the city council website for info.

One last thing - Monday evenings tend to be a bit dead in the centre - so that should be your night for a quiet drink and a meal!

Mentioned in this post
Albert Dock
Albert Dock
14,219 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Concert Square
Concert Square
92 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
The Ship & Mitre
The Ship & Mitre
257 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Liverpool Philharmonic
Liverpool Philharmonic
774 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
International Slavery Museum
International Slavery...
951 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
The Fly in the Loaf
The Fly in the Loaf
264 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Roscoe Head
Roscoe Head
142 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Cafe Tabac
Cafe Tabac
260 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
The Italian Club Fish
The Italian Club Fish
747 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
The Italian Club
The Italian Club
613 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,788 posts
359 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: i'm going in mid july - tips on stuff to do, see etc.

A must is a Saveaway travel ticket which will get you virtually unlimited travel on public transport for between £3.50 and £5 depending on how far you want to travel.

The dearer tickets will get you on the mersey ferries..

With this you can do what you want to including getting out into the suburbs of Allerton & Mossley Hill (penny lane)....

I would say a must are

The Cathederals

Trip On The Ferry

And meeting the real people of Liverpool in some of the back street pubs in the city centre

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
574 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: i'm going in mid july - tips on stuff to do, see etc.

The Williamson Tunnels are a slightly off-beat possibility (in the University/cathedrals area of the city, so some way away from the Albert Dock area).

Mentioned in this post
Albert Dock
Albert Dock
14,219 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Brighton, the...
Level Contributor
453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: i'm going in mid july - tips on stuff to do, see etc.

I want to add a big thanks also for these great suggestions. My husband and I will be there in mid-July also. Any good thoughts on some gardens to see too?

We have done the Beatle tours and they were great. And I did enjoy the Mersey tour, although it was on my first trip to the UK and I cried all the way through it, just so happy to BE there, ya know? ;) We are doing the LFC stadium tour, as it got cancelled on our last trip--thanks Paul---in '08. I am really looking forward to that.

Appreciate the answers on the food/drink places too. We didn't venture out far on last trip for food and I'm liking the idea of getting out to some real Liverpool atmosphere for dining.

Cheers you lot! :)

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: i'm going in mid july - tips on stuff to do, see etc.

Forgot to mention the Delifonseca on Stanley St for very good home-cooked food - from lamb curry through to bangers and mash. It's very central.

UK
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: i'm going in mid july - tips on stuff to do, see etc.

Gramma - if you didn't visit it last time, you may like to go to Speke Hall

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-spekehall

Its not got vast gardens, but is worth a visit.

Mentioned in this post
Speke Hall
Speke Hall
1,136 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,788 posts
359 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: i'm going in mid july - tips on stuff to do, see etc.

Speke Hall is a good shout...

But better is Calderstones Park, you can get there with a saveaway ticket..

bus route 86/86a is a close stop, plus you are very close to Strawberry Fields

Mentioned in this post
Speke Hall
Speke Hall
1,136 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Calderstones Park
Calderstones Park
261 Reviews
Liverpool, UK