We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Day Trips from Liverpool?

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
am5
MN
Level Contributor
93 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Good Day Trips from Liverpool?

What places do you recommend visiting outside of Liverpool? I'm looking for a relaxing experience in a smaller English village/town - similar to the Cotswolds or to St. Ives. Can you recommend anything around Liverpool that would be similar? Would need to be somewhere I could go to while using Liverpool as a base - meaning my hotel room would still be in Liverpool so I'd just be gone for the day at this recommended place. No more than 2 hours train or bus ride to get to this place I'd say... So, any ideas of where I should go?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Day Trips from Liverpool?

There are plenty of villages near enough for a day trip by car, but it will be more difficult to get to a village by train, as not many have train stations. Also, the rural counties which are next to Liverpool - Cheshire and Lancashire - are very different to Cornwall and the Cotswolds.

Others on this board may be able to advise on specific villages, but it is possible for you to get to Kendal and Windermere in the South Lakes within two hours (these are towns though, not villages, and quite touristy) and there are smaller places in between. You could see some of the nicer villages in Cheshire by changing train at Manchester or Crewe maybe. You could see some of the towns and villages in Lancashire by changing train at Preston.

Where ever you go, you will need to change train at least once and if you visit a small village, then your options for things to do will be limited to a country walk and a pub lunch - a good day out I'd say - but I don't know what your interests are, so this might not suit you.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Day Trips from Liverpool?

I've 3 suggestions fro you:

Parkgate might fit the bill. Train (with 1 change) or direct bus to Neston then walk into Parkgate (about 20 minutes). After a morning stroll along the charming and quaint timbered front street take lunch in a nice pub (I like the Boathouse). Then an afternoon walk along part of the Wirral Way, then back to Parkgate for a wonderful ice cream from the shop on the main street. Then bus back to Liverpool.

Nantwich is another option (but a bit further away). Train to Crewe then bus to Nantwich. Bigger than Parkgate. Thriving market town full of lovely 16th / 17th century black and white timbered buildings (over 100 are listed buildings).

Knutsford is another nice town that you can get to via train (train from Liverpool to Chester then another train to Knutsford). Quirky Italianate architecture, enough really good restaurants to eat at a different one every day for a month and lots of interesting individual shops and boutiques.

If any of these appeal let us know and we can give you more detail on the travel options.

Have fun

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Day Trips from Liverpool?

Just to say there is a bus that goes from Liverpool through to Parkgate,no need to change at Neston or walk.The bus terminates its journey on the front in Parkgate right outside The Marsh Cat which does lovely 2 course home-cooked lunches for £10.It is one of our favourite restaurants in this area.We live less than a mile away.As stated The Boathouse is also good for lunch.Before the estuary silted up ships used to disembark from Parkgate with prisoners to Australia and passengers to Ireland.If you do go to The Marsh Cat there is a fascinating page of Parkgate's history in their menu.

As Cheshire Cat has stated it is a bracing walk along the front at Parkgate overlooking the Dee Estuary and the North Wales coast.

It isn't a village but for English quaintness with great historical background and black and white architecture akin to the Cotswolds I would recommend Chester for your day out.There is lots to see including the Roman City Walls which you can walk along the top of,walk along the banks of River Dee,shop to your heart's content,visit the Cathedral.There is a frequent direct bus from Liverpool to Chester (No 1) which drops you in the City Centre.The direct half-hourly train is quicker but the station at Chester is not City Centre but there is a free shuttle bus from the station to City Centre.The journey from Liverpool will take no longer than an hour.It is a tourist-friendly city.

In Roman times Chester was called Deva.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Day Trips from Liverpool?

Places to explore from Liverpool as a base

Southport

Chester

North Wales Coast

Blackpool

The mersey rail system could be the ideal way for you to get out and about , on and off and with a 'saveaway' ticket you can do it very cheaply.

Have a look at Merseytravel home page for a map

across the mersey
Level Contributor
219 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Day Trips from Liverpool?

I would recommend Port Sunlight Village and Chester on the basis that they are very easy to access by train fron Liverpool. Chester is a direct 45 minute journey and you could drop off at Port Sunlight on the way as it is on the same train line. The village was built for workers in the sunlight soap factory and has lost of history attached to it.. It also houses the Lady lever Art Gallery(admission free) which is a real hidden gem with a fantastic collection of preraphalite art. Opposite to the art gallery is the Sunlight Vision Museum which details the history of the village,

I recommend getting off the train at Bebington station visiting the gallery etc then walking through the village to get back on the train at the next station Port Sunlight then onwards to Chester for the rest of the day.

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Day Trips from Liverpool?

I went to Port Sunlight for the first time not long ago and was simply astounded by it, it is a beautiful place, well worth a visit

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,685 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Day Trips from Liverpool?

Please don't look for Cotswold or Cornish villages where they won't be.

Enjoy the diversity of the UK.

Look at getting the train to Hoylake and West Kirby and walking out to Hilbre Island.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Day Trips from Liverpool?

Yes, if you enjoy sand and a beach, West Kirkby is the place to go...Along with Southport lol

9. Re: Good Day Trips from Liverpool?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2011, 05:17