We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I east the best lobscouse

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, UK
Level Contributor
59 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Where can I east the best lobscouse

In the City next week: saw Andrew Hussey eat it in a local cafe during his TV programme last week and fancy trying it. Any recommendations, plesae, locals? Thanks!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I east the best lobscouse

Both of the cathedrals sell their own version of Scouse on most days which are always good but it is not on the menu everyday. The place shown on TV is in Bold Street (he got it wrong when he gave the street name). There is/was a place at the Albert Dock called The Scouse House which was O K, I'm not sure if it's still a going concern (someone here should know)

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I east the best lobscouse

The best place to eat scouse is at me mam's house , and its always best a couple of days after its been made...

As for where to eat it and which is best ...

It used to be that lots of pubs used to sell it on a daily basis , but this is not the case anymore...

If memory serves me right, there is a cafe on Lord Street by Thomas Cook that still sells scouse , but i cannot remember the name...

Liverpool
Level Contributor
85 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I east the best lobscouse

Maggie May's on Bold Street.

across the mersey
Level Contributor
219 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can I east the best lobscouse

The Scouse House is no longer at Albert Dock. However the the Pump House Pub located there serves scouse. Also The Baltic Fleet Pub near to the Albert Dock often serves it.

5. Re: Where can I east the best lobscouse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 September 2010, 17:59
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,693 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can I east the best lobscouse

Could you translate, please? At least for this ignorant southerner... :-)

Liverpool
Level Contributor
364 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can I east the best lobscouse

The dish 'Scouse' has Scandinavian origins and derives from the word 'Lobscouse'.

Scouse the food is a kind of stew with meat usually beef (though some would say it is lamb!) potatoes, onions and carrots the basis of it.

8. Re: Where can I east the best lobscouse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 September 2010, 17:59
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where can I east the best lobscouse

Scouse with a pastry top !!!???

I would class this as a form of pie !!

The scouse that I know and get is that to what others know as a stew...

A day or so later when the gravy has gone thick , that is the only 'crust' that i know of...

My mind boggles to the fact that some places serve a steak and ale pie and what it is is the pie filling cooked ina oven pot, with a ready made crust plonked on top...

I think people who eat scouse with pastry crust on top are well not eating scouse , but maybe scouse and pastry..

I just googled lobscouse and scouse and scouse food , and the images that came up I could not see a pastry crust in sight..!!!

my thoughts on the 'lob' bit , would that you could 'lob' anything in it !!!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
717 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where can I east the best lobscouse

Do people still eat scouse? We used to have it when I was a kid, but that was because we were poor.. it must have cost £1 then to feed a family of 6 via scouse. I wouldn't lower myself to eating it now, no matter how fancy a restaurant is making it out to be.