We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dim Sum in Liverpool

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wirral UK
Level Contributor
91 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Dim Sum in Liverpool

Can anyone recommend a Chinese Restaurant with a good Dim Sum menu?

Liverpool
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dim Sum in Liverpool

The Chung Ku restaurant has a extensive dim sum menu, and has a great view over the river. It's along the Dock Road (Riverside Drive) and we've been there many times. For a great allrounder Chinese restaurant our favourite is the Yuet Ben. Enjoy.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dim Sum in Liverpool

New Capital Chinese , on Nelson St Chinatown is a place I have grown to like..

Plenty of locals eating there is always a good sign , plus the prices are great

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dim Sum in Liverpool

When visiting Liverpool I've had great dim sum in Tai Pan which is a huge place on top of a supermarket just outside the city centre. They have an extensive menu which is available all day and the quality (and quantity!) is right up there. Some of the dumplings are easily as good as ones I have had when in Shanghai & Nanjing.

Personally I would try all of the restaurants mentioned as I'm a bit dim sum obsessed!

Wirral UK
Level Contributor
91 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dim Sum in Liverpool

Chung Ku looks really nice but also looks like it could be expensive - is it????

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dim Sum in Liverpool

Basically, you get what you pay for - you can have cheap dim sum in most of the restaurants in China Town, but many serve really poor, mass-produced stuff. Using the quality of siu mais as a benchmark, you can get them in loads of places, but the cheapest tend to be a bit like spam. Pay more, and you get decent chunks of pork and prawn with a more delicate flavour. Really good places make their own, or at least have decent suppliers, and so they will be more expensive.

I haven't been to Tai Pan, but have heard good reports, and it's a while since I've been to the Chung Ku, but it was pretty good when I went. The Mei Mei is good - it serves better quality dim sum than most, and has a wider variety on the menu, as does the Chung Ku.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dim Sum in Liverpool

Basically, you get what you pay for - you can have cheap dim sum in most of the restaurants in China Town, but many serve really poor, mass-produced stuff. Using the quality of siu mais as a benchmark, you can get them in loads of places, but the cheapest tend to be a bit like spam. Pay more, and you get decent chunks of pork and prawn with a more delicate flavour. Really good places make their own, or at least have decent suppliers, and so they will be more expensive.

I haven't been to Tai Pan, but have heard good reports, and it's a while since I've been to the Chung Ku, but it was pretty good when I went. The Mei Mei is good - it serves better quality dim sum than most, and has a wider variety on the menu, as does the Chung Ku.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dim Sum in Liverpool

One other point - much as it pains me to say it - Manchester is way better for quality dim sum than Liverpool.

Wirral UK
Level Contributor
91 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dim Sum in Liverpool

Thanks Macfarrag - I've got that feeling reading the reviews that Manchester was a better place.

Thanks so much for your feed back

9. Re: Dim Sum in Liverpool

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2011, 06:32