We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crowne Plaza with kids - one day itinerary

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
6 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Crowne Plaza with kids - one day itinerary

Training in from London on a Monday night and training out Tuesday night. My wife and 2 boys (9 and 7) are hanging around town while I work.

Any thoughts on things for a lady and 2 boys to do for a day in early December?

We are at Crowne Plaza at the docks - is that a good choice?

Best way to get from Lime St station to the hotel would be? I have walked that far to do to dinner when it was warmer, but I am not sure a December night with two kids would be warm enough.

Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Crowne Plaza with kids - one day itinerary

There are always taxis at Lime Street station so you could just take one down to the Crowne Plaza. I don't know what it would cost but it's not that far but probably better if the boys are tired.

I think the boys would enjoy the Maritime Museum at Albert Dock. Lots to see and they have some sheets for children to fill in for different parts of the museum. Last year I soent 3 hours there with children the same age as yours.

The boys might also like to take the ferry ride round the Mersey. You just say on the ferry as it makes its trip. There is also the World Museum nearer Lime Street station which all the children I know enjoy.

Have fun

Gibel

UK
Level Contributor
60 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crowne Plaza with kids - one day itinerary

Hi how about big wheel, i'm sure they'll love it:

www.echoarena.com/whats_on/big_wheel.asp

or ducks: http://www.theyellowduckmarine.co.uk/

Both at the Albert Dock or radio city tower which offers a 360 degree view, which is amazing: www.radiocity.co.uk/Article.asp?id=407004

my nephews loved these at roughly the same age.

i think the suggestions above are also good ideas. For child friendly dining how about Gusto, i think they serve to children as well.

Thanks

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crowne Plaza with kids - one day itinerary

All the museuns are free and are great..

I cannot add to what the others have said..

Also a trip on the ferries will kill an hour and 'sort' them out ..lol

across the mersey
Level Contributor
219 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crowne Plaza with kids - one day itinerary

As i am sure you will visit the Albert dock another suggestion is Bugworld

http://www.bugworldexperience.co.uk/static/

A good place for children to eat at the Albert Dock is the Maritme Dining rooms on the top floor of the Maritime Museum. The food is of excellent quality and reasonable priced. For each adult purchasing 2 courses a child can dine for free.

If you decide to take the mersey ferry cruise there is a Wallace and Gromit exhibition at the seacombe ferry terminal on the other side of the river.

They would also probably enjoy the Beatles 4D experience. This is located in the mersey ferry terminal building which is only a few minutes away from your hotel.

All the things i have mention involve an admission charge but as others have mentioned we have some great free museums as well.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crowne Plaza with kids - one day itinerary

If you are coming by train get Liverpool stations on your ticket rather than Lime street It would then allow you to travel on the Wirral line to James street station (2 stops) The Crowne Plaza is a 5 minute walk from there. As to activities. The Yellow submarine (aN indoor adventure playground) at Brunswick business park woulld let them run wild for an hour or Two Underwater world At the Pier head would get their creative juices flowing Enjoy your stay.

USA
Level Contributor
6 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crowne Plaza with kids - one day itinerary

Wow - you all are great. I have been to Liverpool a bunch of times and always done the same thing - stay at the Marriott by Lime St, work on the south side of town, walk/ride to the dock for dinners, etc. Then leave and go somewhere else. I never realized how much Liverpool had to do for two boys!

I assume Virgin trains to Liverpool is the way to go? I took Midland once, but I heard Virgin was a bit faster and better? What about stopping short of Lime St as the other poster said? I am on expense, so a taxi fare is not a big deal.

UK
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Crowne Plaza with kids - one day itinerary

There are a number of things to do at Liverpool1, which may interest the boys too - a scary (I think) looking fairground ride - seems to have everyone screaming, mini ice rink, etc. Agree with all the others the musems are great, plenty to see and do. Check out the Liverpool Museums website for what's on information.

I wouldn't bother using the underground with children, quicker to just grab a taxi. Virgin trains London/Liverpool journey approx 2 hours 10 mins.

You mention the weather, difficult to say, and I guess your tolerance depends on which part of US you are from. Layers and a warm coat, just watch out for the wind off the river, you might have to hold the kids down!

USA
Level Contributor
6 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crowne Plaza with kids - one day itinerary

We arrived during the ice storms/big freeze. I have never seen Lime Street station so cold. We scurried to the hotel via taxi and tried not to freeze. Dinner in the hotel was nice. Next day, I went to work and my wife and kids stayed in the hotel until probably noon. Then, they took a taxi to the World museum and stayed for 4 hours. My two boys loved it. Then, train back to London.

Thanks to all for the comments/help. I do not necessarily recommend Liverpool in the depths of winter, but the temperatures were not typical and I like this city overall.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crowne Plaza with kids - one day itinerary

Thanks for the feedback - it's always nice to know what people end up doing and how they found it! It's good that your boys liked the museum too.

You say you wouldn't necessarily recommend Liverpool in the depths of winter, but it would have been just as cold elsewhere - as you say, weather like that is untypical - but that is especially the case in Liverpool, where we rarely get hard frosts or snow, and when we do, it is usually less than elsewhere. The last two years have been unusual - but it's been great having a real winter ... Not that great for travellers though ...!

USA
Level Contributor
6 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crowne Plaza with kids - one day itinerary

A late reply, but I have to say something positive to end this thread. Liverpool is great, as recognized in the EU. The winter is even great, since I grew up in Michigan. It was just with two small boys, a warmer time would have really let the city's many treasures be more explorable.