We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day in Liverpool; what to do?

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
1 day in Liverpool; what to do?

I spent one day in Liverpool during 2009 and it was a pretty bare bones visit. I hung out at the albert dock, had a guinness, walked around a small portion of the town near the dock area, then took the Beatles magical mystery tour around liverpool to see Beatles related things, hung out at the cavern club, went inside the beatles gift shop. That was about it.

I'm taking my kid with me this time and I want to relive that first trip and take the magical mystery tour again but I'd like to see a little more.

Anyone have advice on how to spend a day in Liverpool that includes the magical mystery tour? I'm thinking of taking the tour and then walking some of the route on foot afterwards. I'd like to go to strawberry field and penny lane and Lennon's old house and kind of ..hang out a bit in that general area.

And there's this wonderful huge fancy building somewhat close to the Albert dock that I'd like to check out a bit more this time.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day in Liverpool; what to do?

can't help with the Beatles stuff but any child will enjoy the duck tour - a road tour that then goes into the dock! Only takes about an hour so you'd still have plenty of time to do your other tour: www.theyellowduckmarine.co.uk

re the 'fancy' building - which one? if you mean the Royal Liver Building (big Griffins/bird-type creatures at the top) then it isnt open to the public I'm afraid.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,349 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day in Liverpool; what to do?

Penny Lane is in the suburbs. Easily reached on the bus routes 86 / 80. It's a pleasant enough walk and public transport is cheap.

There are 3 buildings at Pier Head. The Liver. The Cunard and The Port of Liverpool. Is it one of these ??

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day in Liverpool; what to do?

Thanks for all the replies thus far.

I googled all three buildings that were mentioned in this thread and they all sort of look the same to me, but yeah I meant the liver building. Thanks for helping me with that one!

And I'll have to check out that duck tour because I'm sure she'd love the bit where the bus splashes down into the water and suddenly we're on a boat. She'd talk about that one for weeks/years!

Thanks guys!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
298 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day in Liverpool; what to do?

Jump on the city tour red bus...for the one price you can hop on hop off all day..ideal if you want to cram the most you can into a vist

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
295 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day in Liverpool; what to do?

How old is your kid? Our kids (10 and 7) liked taking the ferry trip (see www.merseyferries.co.uk), the World Museum and even the Walker Art Gallery. The new Museum of LIverpool may be open if you are over in the summer. Loads of great dining options in the city centre too.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day in Liverpool; what to do?

That sounds great. I googled the liverpool sightseeing tour and it says it will cost us 12 pounds. Do you know if tickets can be bought in person on the day? It's probably a stupid question but I just want to clarify that I don't need to book in advance for that kind of tour.

thanks!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
298 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day in Liverpool; what to do?

You can buy the tickets on the bus , they run about every 20 min,

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day in Liverpool; what to do?

If you want to check out a huge fancy building near the Albert Dock, then it's worht having a look at India Buildings - it takes up a block between Brunswick St and Water St, so is just inland from the Liver Building.

across the mersey
Level Contributor
219 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 day in Liverpool; what to do?

Just to be clear the red city sight seeing bus does not cover the beatles sites that are inc in the magical mystery tour such as penny lane and strrawberry fields. If you dont want to take the tour again the options are to visit yourself using public transport.The bus station can ususally provide a frree map to help you with this and an all day travel ticket will only cost £3.40. The other option is a private tour by taxi .The price is around £50 for up to 5 people There are a couple of companies that feature on this site and get good reviews. If you have an idea of what you would like to revisit i am sure they could tailor a schedule to meet your needs.

As for the Liver building it is used as offices and is generally not available to see inside or for tours. However this year in july it celebrates 100 years since it was first opened so there may be some events around this..

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
33 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 day in Liverpool; what to do?

I would recommend you take the Fab Four Taxi Tour to relive your memories of the places where each Beatle was born and raised. We did the tour on the 5 Feb 2011, and had the most wonderful time visiting and stopping at all the places you would like to revisit with commentary by a guide who is a genuine Beatles fan and who is very knowledgeable about Liverpool and its heritage. It costs £50 but worth it.