We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendations for a weekend in Liverpool

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant recommendations for a weekend in Liverpool

Me and my husband are coming to Liverpool on the 11th March for his birthday and I just wanted to pick your brains for restaurant recommendations. I was here in 2009 for a hen weekend so would like something slightly different to where we went then if possible.

We are staying at the Malmaison and thought on the Friday night we would head towards Matthew Street and was wondering if there were any nice little italian restaurants in that area, nothing majorly pricely but something more than a Pizza Express or ASK. Basically a nice big bowl of spag bol and some house red would be spot on! On the Saturday night I would like to do something a little bit special, we are open on cuisine. I was looking at the London Carriage Company and there seems to be good reviews of that. When I was in Liverpool last we went to the Blue Bar and Grill but had a set menu so was pretty standard so not too sure what the food is like on the a la carte menu. Also I remember it being fairly loud, I don't mind a bit of hustle and bustle but I'm sure it was quite noisy.

One last question, does anyone know if the restaurant in the Malmaison is any good? Am unsure as to whether this is somewhere I should consider or not.

Thanks in advance!

Loop

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant recommendations for a weekend in Liverpool

The restaurant in Malmaison does try harder than most hotel restaurants. We ate there once when the place was pretty new, and is was ok, but we were a bit disappointed. They have a menu of local seasonal produce, and they may have upped their game a bit since we were there.

Decent Italian places near Matthew St include Bar Italia on Castle St (traditional place serving decent home-cooked style food), the Olive Press, also on Castle St (it has changed hands, but it was always good food and I imagine they still make their own pasta), Piccolino on Cook St (maybe above your budget, but check the website - the food is good) and San Carlo, also on Castle St (more expensive, but gets great reviews).

For your Saturday night, I would avoid the places in the Albert Dock - most of them are "all fur coat and no knickers" ...

I have been to the London Carriage Works a few times, and I have always thought the food was excellent - but it does get some iffy reviews. Other fine-dining type places worth going to include 60 Hope St and Ziba.

Places which are less "fine dining" and more initmate, but which do very good modern British and European food include The Side Door and Puschka.

Liverpool, England
Destination Expert
for St. Pete Beach
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
359 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant recommendations for a weekend in Liverpool

Il Forno in Duke Street would be lovely for the Friday night, I prefer it to San Carlo which I think is overpriced for what it is. You would need to get a cab but it's not far and shouldn't be expensive.

On Saturday night you could try these places which are certainly different- the Panoramic; or Alma de Cuba; both are unique and you will need to book.

Check out their websites, if you don't fancy the food at the Panoramic you could start the eveing there with a drink then head elsewhere.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant recommendations for a weekend in Liverpool

As you are staying at the Mal..

The closest restaurant , apart from the hotel's is Bacchus Tavern..

My favorite Greek...at least give it a look..not the biggest, but miss it..you could miss out !

4. Re: Restaurant recommendations for a weekend in Liverpool

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2012, 05:33