We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Liverpool for Young Couple... Non Beatles!!

Scotland
Level Contributor
28 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Liverpool for Young Couple... Non Beatles!!

Hi,

I'm taking my boyfriend to Liverpool in August. I've got Jason Manford tickets for the first night and then on the Saturday night we're going to Sapporo. I'm going to book the Anfield tour and museum for the Saturday morning but a bit stuck for things to do on the Sat afternoon, Friday afternoon and Sunday morning. Can anyone help please? We're a bit young to have been fans of the Beatles so I know tours related to them wouldn't interest us much unfortunately.

Also, it would be a great help if you could suggest good pre-theatre restaurants in the Empire Stadium area please.

Thank you!!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Liverpool for Young Couple... Non Beatles!!

Explore the city centre..Liverpool One...will keep you amused...

A trip on the ferry also...

There is a good buzz in the city centre on a Saturday afternoon

Scotland
Level Contributor
28 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Liverpool for Young Couple... Non Beatles!!

Thanks!! Also, which would be better for us on Saturday night, we're both not really clubbing types and just like normal pubs with a bit of liveliness. I was thinking either Concert Square or Albert Docks? Am I totally barking up the wrong tree?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Liverpool for Young Couple... Non Beatles!!

Hi, there are lots of things to do, we will also have a fantastic new Museum opening in July on the waterfront which has cost £72 million. I agree a river cruise on the ferry and afternoon drinks in the sun either on the leisure terrace @ Liverpool ONE or Albert Dock.

One thing though, you are going to see Jason Manford who is performing at the Echo Arena and not the Empire Theatre!!

Anyway, we have an abundance of great places to eat especially over by the Town Hall, Viva Brazil, Bar and Grill or San Carlo all fantastic if you want to push the boat out and spend a bit. Sapporo is a bit special too.

hope this helps

Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Liverpool for Young Couple... Non Beatles!!

Good night out try alma de Cuba great Latin vibe

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,767 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Liverpool for Young Couple... Non Beatles!!

I'd stay away from Concert Square (too lively and can get out of hand and there's often trouble there)

Jason Manford is on at the Empire theatre in August - not the Echo Arena.

The Empire is opposite the most amazing building in Liverpool - St Georges Hall.

There are some decent pubs along Dale Street (get a decent map or ask for directions) which is just around the corner from the Empire, like Rigbys, Vernon Arms which is opposite Stanley Street where there's a bar called Bierkeller on the corner - it's a cellar bar that sells foreign bottled beers and is really good. There is also the Excelsior and the Ship & Mitre which I think you would also like - 15+ real ales and ciders and loads of different foreign bottled beers.

There's another decent pub on Wapping (the main road alongside Albert Dock) called the Baltic Fleet that is a bit special. They brew their own ales in the cellar and also serve food.

Back along towards Liverpool One is a new place called the Hub Alehouse & Kitchen at the bottom of Hanover Street. It's a new gastro (type) pub opposite Salt House Tapas (a Tapas bar supposed to serve really nice food) which is just around the corner from a Jamie's Italian restaurant (no booking so you might have to queue).

As for things to do - you may not be familiar with the Beatles but you must go down Mathew Street and have your photo taken outside the entrance to the Cavern Club (which isn't really the Cavern Club!) and also go to the World Museum (which is by St Georges Hall) - one of the new artifacts which is right inthe entrance is a statue from Easter Island.

And if you don't get to go on the Mersey Ferry then try and get a ride on the Yellow Duck.

Have fun!

Edited: 26 May 2011, 23:50
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,767 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in Liverpool for Young Couple... Non Beatles!!

P.S. The concert you are going to IS at the Empire - not the Echo Arena.

The Empire is opposite the amazing St Georges Hall which is a 5 minute walk from the Ship & Mitre and the other pubs on Dale Street.

Liverpool is very compact and "walkable" - so just take a decent city centre map or ask a local for directions. ;)

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in Liverpool for Young Couple... Non Beatles!!

What kind of things do you like to do? I agree with most of the postings here, but if meusums are not your thing??

Do you like Karaoke, up market gastro pubs, shopping??

Certainly the yellow duck tour is good fun for all ages, you get the tourist tour around the City then the bus goes into the dock water and sails around the docks I dont know anyone who doesnt enjoy it, also Sunday morning at Alma da Cuba they have the brunch with gospel choirs (its not religious) look it up on this site.

Have a great time

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in Liverpool for Young Couple... Non Beatles!!

I agree that you haven't really told us what interests you and what kind of food you are after, so making recommendations is a bit difficult. It is worth checking the museums and art galleries, as we have more national ones here than anywhere outside London. There are architecture trails too. The duck is good fun.

For a pre theatre meal, The Side Door is good value and lovely - it's about a 10 minute walk from the Empire.

UK
Level Contributor
63 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do in Liverpool for Young Couple... Non Beatles!!

Comedy is also a strong night out in Liverpool. There are four or five clubs now all searchable on the internet:

Laughterhouse at the Slaughterhouse, which I think does two venues, comedy central at the baby blue, Baa Bar and Rawhide. a keyword search of comedy liverpool in google would find.

Very reasonable approximately £10-15

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do in Liverpool for Young Couple... Non Beatles!!

Think Glasgow- think Liverpool and you will enjoy.!