We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day in Liverpool

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
A day in Liverpool

Hi, my partner and I will be spending a day (Tuesday) in Liverpool in October. We'll be catching a bus from Sefton Park to the city in the morning. We'd like to wonder around Albert Dock, see St George's Hall and the Anglican Cathedral, and possibly take a ferry ride.

My questions are:

1) Do you think we should do the ferry ride first using the commuter ferry? (Someone mentioned that they preferred it because there's no annoying commentary.) If we did, is there anything of interest on the other side, or would we just come straight back?

2) What's the best walking route to take to St George's Hall and the Anglican Cathedral? We'd be happy to end the afternoon at the Cathedral (with afternoon tea) because the bus route back to Sefton Park goes past there, I think (Parliament St).

Thanks,

Suzanne

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,632 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day in Liverpool

Take an early return sail on the ferry to Birkenhead, which will give you a good opportunity for Pics of the three Graces, and also The Anglican Cathedral in the distance.

Albert Dock often has interesting exhibtions, and wander up Dale Street to St Georges Hall and nearby is the Tate and the Walkers Aret Gallery.

The Roman Catholic Cathedral (affectionately known has Paddys Wigwam) is worth a visit, and is in walking distance, also check the cathederal cafe to see if they have on the menu, the local delicacy Scouse, which is a must try.

You can again easily walk through the University area to The Anglican Cathederal, from where you will have extensive views of Liverpool.

You cannot get lost in liverpool, just ask a Scouser and they'll happily show you they way.

www.visitliverpool.com

Nuri Fazakerley reject !:)

Edited: 19 June 2011, 08:40
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,697 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day in Liverpool

It's only a short there and back early doors on the ferry. Just depends what you want to see.

As for your walk. Along Lime Street. Up Brownlow Hill ... You will see the university and back of the RC cathedral. Then along Hope Street to the Anglican Giant. Dont forget on some days you can get lifts to the top of the Anglican

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day in Liverpool

I prefer the commuter ferry, because the tourist one is a really long trip, and you don't need to be on the water that long to see the view. There used to be a custom of getting the ferry over to Birkenhead, grabbing a portion of chips and coming straight back - but I don't think the chippy/cafe is at the terminal anymore. The only thing worth seeing nearby is perhaps Hamilton Square, which is well known: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_Square If that interests you, you could get off the ferry and get another for your return trip.

As for the best route for the places you want to see, if you are interested in architecture, you could walk from the Albert Dock along to Water St and up past Oriel Chambers and India Buildings (really worth going in for a look). You can also have a look at some of the great buildings on Castle St before continuing up Dale St towards St Georges Hall. If shopping is more your thing, you could wind your way through Liverpool One instead.

From St Georges Hall, the nicest route to the cathedrals is up Mount Pleasant (although some of Lime St is still a bit run down). You can then call into the Catholic cathedral before walking along Hope St to the Anglican one.

I'm not sure which side of Sefton Park you will be staying, but the buses to the North and East side of the park (Allerton/Mossley Hill/Ullet Road) go along Catharine St - so you would be best cutting through to there from the Cathedral. If you are staying the Western side of the park, in Aigburth, then you can catch the buses going up Park Road, which starts at the junction with Upper Parliament St/Parliament St below the cathedral.

Edited: 19 June 2011, 13:30
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A day in Liverpool

Thanks for your suggestions. Is the Roman Catholic Cathedral the one on Mount Pleasant called the Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King? It looks interesting - I didn't realise it was the Catholic Cathedral. We could stop and look at it on the way to the other one.

(I was a bit confused because the reviews on TA about it seem to be about the other one.)

Suzanne

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A day in Liverpool

Just read your reply, macfarrag; thanks for the details. We're definitely more interested in architecture than shopping - even window shopping doesn't interest us.

And we're on the north-west side of Sefton Park - Sefton Drive - so I think our bus goes along Croxteth Road.

Thanks again for all the great local information and advice. :)

Suzanne

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A day in Liverpool

Yes, the Catholic cathedral is the Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King. It's worth seeing as it is so different to the other one. And for Sefton Drive, get the 80, 74 or 75 on Catherine St. Basically, you can get any bus that goes down Princes Avenue, so not the 86 - but you are only 15 mins walk from Sefton Drive once you are on Catharine St, so you can walk down Liverpool's version of Las Ramblas if you aren't too tired by this time. It might also be as cheap to get a taxi, as the bus fare is £1.80 each.

Edited: 19 June 2011, 14:22
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
17,260 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A day in Liverpool

Over at Woodside ferry terminal in Birkenhead is the U Boat Story - a museum and now home to U-534 which was sunk off the Danish coast after the Germans had surrendered. It is well worth the £5.00 entry fee. (I took my dad over there today. We caught the Merseyrail train to Hamilton Square and caught the ferry back.)

You are travelling in from Sefton Park by bus so buy an All Zone Saverway ticket for £4.60.

merseytravel.gov.uk/articleimages/…2011.pdf

You can use this on all buses and the train (that is if you decide to take the train over to Birkenhead). You can also use it on the Mersey Ferry - just make sure that you go to the ferry ticket office first, show your Saverway ticket and ask for a boarding pass. You will have to get a boarding pass for your return journey too. You will save a fair bit of money by getting a Saverway and it's valid for 24 hours.

Also of interest in Birkenhead if you like architecture is Hamilton Square. (turn right outside Hamilton Square station to get to the Square; turn left outside the station to get to Woodside ferry terminal and the U Boat Story.)

Mold, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
502 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A day in Liverpool

If you are walking along Hope Street between the Catholic and Anglican cathedrals call in the Philhamonic pub. It has a very fine victorian interior but also grade1 listed urinals which they allow women to view when not in use.

Edited: 19 June 2011, 23:49
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A day in Liverpool

Thanks for all the great information. It sounds like we're going to have a full day, especially if we look at some of the attractions in Birkenhead. Thanks too, Matt, for the information about the All-Zone Saverway Ticket. Great local advice.

I can't wait to see LIverpool now. :)

Suzanne

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A day in Liverpool

The Gents in the Philharmonic pub may be elaborate but they stink.It's bad enough for the males who have to use them but I wouldn't recommend a visit.