We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's near St James Railway Station

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wales
Level Contributor
498 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
What's near St James Railway Station

Wife and i in our late 50's staying from sun-wed near James st Rail Station. We enjoy live music so looking for something aft/evening in that area, i gather were are close to the Cavern.

Also read up tripadvisor reports on local food, Etsu Japanese,Christaki's and Hanover Street Social look good but any suggestions for good pub food in the area.

We intend visiting the Beatles musuem in the dock and cavern.

thank you

Edited: 01 November 2011, 08:02
Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's near St James Railway Station

It depends what kind of music you're after. There is usually Irish music on at Flanaghans a few doors down from the Cavern, but I'm not sure how much is on at the beginning of the week.

The upside of visiting Sunday-Wednesday is that you won't have to put up with the Stag and Hen night hell on Mathew St, but the downside is that the city centre is very quiet on Monday and Tuesday nights and there may not be much on.

Foodwise, the James Munro (a pub/restaurant) is supposed to be good, but I've not been. Salt House Tapas is amazing - great food. The Delifonseca, just around the corner from Mathew St, is really good too - informal bistro type place above a deli which serves gorgeous food at very good prices.

wales
Level Contributor
498 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's near St James Railway Station

Sorry i did mean James st Station but could not edit, yes we deliberately avoided the w/end but enjoy rock bands/ karaoke etc but realise it could be limited earlier in the week. Will check out your food suggestions.

thanks

Edited: 01 November 2011, 09:35
Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's near St James Railway Station

For Karaoke, try the Saddle on Dale St - not sure if they do karaoke early in the week, but you could give them a ring and find out. It's got a great atmosphere - a "normal" pub in the city centre.

There are also lots of real ale places in that area if that floats your boat - off the top of my head, Rigby's, Ship and Mitre, Red Lion, the Vernon

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,537 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's near St James Railway Station

There is "house band" at the Cavern called "Two Of Us" on every evening at 5.30pm from Monday to Friday; plus other musicians - entry is free:

cavernclub.org/content/…club-front

There's a couple of pubs opposite Central station - The Globe etc - that seem to have permanent karaoke 24/7, and up the road on Lime Street is the Vines pub on the corner by the Adelphi that has live bands on Sunday afternoons and evenings. It looks "very" lively from the outside and attracts a more mature crowd of locals.

This part of town is only about a 10 minute walk from the James Street/Mathew Street area so no need for taxis.

Should mention that if you arrive early enough you could go to the Grapes on Mathew Street where local DJ Pete Price (Liverpools Mr Marmite !!) has a sing song and karaoke from 1pm to 5pm.

liverpool0151.co.uk/grapes/pages/page4.htm

cheshire uk
Level Contributor
183 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's near St James Railway Station

tuesday is not so quiet,,,, on tuesdays its student night, my kids all go out on tuesdays, but they tend to go the other end of town, concert square duke street area, thats not far from the jacaranda pub another beatles location

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's near St James Railway Station

Sunday is a great night out, and James Street is a good place to start...

You are minutes walk from most places....

As for food..There is a pub called the Cornmarket..It is tucked away round the corner off Fenwick Street..It only really opens monday to friday and when I have eaten there , it has been good...

Other places that are worth a look on food..

Bistro Pierre / jaques / francs

the Railway - Tithebarn Street

The Monro - Duke Street

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What's near St James Railway Station

"There is usually Irish music on at Flanaghans a few doors down from the Cavern, "

Like 99% of individual Flanagans listed in the London, Dublin, New York, Sydney, Chicago, Boston - and Liverpool - phone books (not to mention practically all the eponymously named pubs throughout the disapora) , the pub on the corner of Mathew Street knows how to spell.

The unnecessary injection of n's, h's and i's into a perfectly common surname is a peculiar English hobby. Inexplicable in an inhabitant of the city with the highest proportion of Irish genes outside Ireland

wales
Level Contributor
498 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's near St James Railway Station

Yes wherever you go in the world you find an Irish pub (spelt correctly or incorrectly) but one things for sure it will be the dearest. But they say the scouse accent originated from the Irish and North Walians so where would Liverpool be without them.

Thank you all for your help we are sure to receive a warm welcome on our first visit to the Mersey from South Wales on Sunday afternoon.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's near St James Railway Station

Ma Boyles is just 2 mins walk from the station for good pub food and ales. map link below

…beerintheevening.com/pubs/…Liverpool

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's near St James Railway Station

flanneruk

I do apologise for not meeting your high standards. All I did was to make a minor spelling mistake while suggesting places for someone to go when they visit Liverpool. I did actually hesitate when I was writing the name, but was in a hurry, so left it as it was - big deal. The tone of your post is unnecessarily arrogant. As an Irish descendant myself, with an Irish surname, I know the frustration of having it spelt incorrectly - but it only offends me when the person has already been given my name. It doesn't bother me otherwise - why would it?