We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What city to visit Liverpool, Bristol or Leeds

Georgia
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What city to visit Liverpool, Bristol or Leeds

Where should we go. Have a good deal on hotel in either of these cities due to employment. Just the wife and myself. We like beautiful architecture, scenic country side, and a few pints at a good pub and watch the world go by. Also be able to make a day trip from either of the cities by train as we would be flying into London and take the train from there. We are in our 50's and would be staying for 4 days. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

cheshire uk
Level Contributor
183 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What city to visit Liverpool, Bristol or Leeds

No contest Liverpool is more lively than the other two put together, more to see more to do nicer people, i could go on and on i have lived in all three at some point and Liverpool is the winner by miles post here what you would like to do and i can give you some tips

cheshire uk
Level Contributor
183 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What city to visit Liverpool, Bristol or Leeds

tallest cathedral in England Liverpool most modern cathedral in England Liverpool . speke hall is a good day out, (Elizabethan manor) it also has good museums and a Georgian quarter which may interest you its a lot like Boston without the hustle and has more history

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,590 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What city to visit Liverpool, Bristol or Leeds

Liverpool is a great city and would be my choice over Leeds and a long way in front of Bristol.

Apart from the city you have easy access to Chester and then North Wales. Manchester is accessible by train to the east. I have to plug Southport to the North and if you fancy a day in Dublin that can be done by Ryanair with 3 or 4 flights everyday between the two cities.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What city to visit Liverpool, Bristol or Leeds

Liverpool !!! No contest

Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What city to visit Liverpool, Bristol or Leeds

I agree!

Gibel

xon
UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What city to visit Liverpool, Bristol or Leeds

I would probably say Bristol. It is fairly easy to travel there from London, driving or train. You would be near Bath, Stonehenge and the Cotswolds. There are also some historic connections with the North America (SS Great Britain, The Matthew).

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
813 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What city to visit Liverpool, Bristol or Leeds

Hi

Consider Leeds, as its on the doorstep for the Yorkshire Countryside plus Harewood House which is well worth a visit. Plenty of country pubs as well !

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What city to visit Liverpool, Bristol or Leeds

I am ashamed to say that I have never visited Liverpool or Leeds so I can't comment on those places.

These are all big cities so part of the answer is going to depend on the location of your hotel (I am guessing you are staying with Marriott/Hilton etc), your willingness to travel on public transport and access to day tours if you don't want to hire a car. Thinking about Bristol here, some hotels are more conveniently situated than others, but it will take you just over 2 hours to get to/from Heathrow.

You don't say what time of year you would be visiting but Bristol is probably a little bit milder than Leeds or Liverpool and the tourist sights are centred around the modernised docks and Clifton.

Day-trip wise I have to mention Bath (20 minutes by train, more like an hour by bus, from Bristol) and also consider an hour on the train to Cardiff.

Wherever you decide to visit, I am sure the forums can help you have a lovely time. I do really think it is worth spending an hour or so reading up on the history of the city you visit (for example Bristol made its money sending slaves from Africa to the new world and bringing tobacco back). It just helps to put things into context.

Hope that helps

cheshire uk
Level Contributor
183 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What city to visit Liverpool, Bristol or Leeds

From the replies i conclude, people in the south need to see their own country and travel north,,,,,,,,tut tut tut

London
Level Contributor
840 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What city to visit Liverpool, Bristol or Leeds

Instead of asking people to compare three cities it might be best to find out about each city individually and then make your choice. Of course people on the Liverpool forum are more likely to say Liverpool, and the same would go for the Bristol and Leeds forums. The way your question is framed it's bound just to cause an argument :o)

Get answers to your questions about Liverpool