We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Real ale pubs - but not full of beards and sandals!

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tallinn
Level Contributor
59 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Real ale pubs - but not full of beards and sandals!

Hi

Coming over to Liverpool from Estonia next week.

Looking to sample some atmospheric pubs that sell a decent pint of ale. The beer is not the only thing though, as I know some pubs that sell a really good beer are also the places that are not the most appealing! The Baltic Fleet is on my radar, as is the Philarmonic.

I'm writing a book about British pubs, and will have my camera along - so will also want somewhere that I can take a few pictures of beer and food (hence the Philarmonic), and interesting features/bar taps/pub signs etc.

We're staying in the Novatel in the centre.

Hope you can help!

Tallinn
Level Contributor
59 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Real ale pubs - but not full of beards and sandals!

Also forgot to mention! A decent Chinese and Indian restaurant would also be appreciated if anyone can recommend one!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Real ale pubs - but not full of beards and sandals!

Ship and Mitre on Dale Street would be the place to start,think it has a much wider selection than The Baltic Fleet and The Phil,sure others will correct me if that's not the case. Not into real ale but still enjoy popping in here for a pint.

Tallinn
Level Contributor
59 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Real ale pubs - but not full of beards and sandals!

Thanks!

The Baltic Fleet is on my list because of it's home brewed beers, plus has a reputation for excellent pies! Estonia is on the Baltic Sea...so would be a bit of a connection also :)

Will check out the Ship and Mitre.

Cheers!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Real ale pubs - but not full of beards and sandals!

The Phil does have some guest beers that are hand pumped. While in that area you have to check out The Roscoe Head, a tiny pub which has been in every issue of The Good Beer Guide, also Ye Cracke in Rice Street has some interesting beers. I don't think this pub has changed since the '60s when John Lennon drank in there. Further down Hardman Street from The Phil is The Fly in The Loaf which has different beers. This 'pub crawl' is taking you in the direction of China Town where you will find a restaurant to fit your needs

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
266 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Real ale pubs - but not full of beards and sandals!

Liverpool One Bridewell is also a "real ale" pub, and its very nice inside, (was an old prison) so you should get some nice photographs - they have a website which shows their location and some pictures to give you an idea - its not too far from the other pubs mentioned (easily walkable)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Real ale pubs - but not full of beards and sandals!

http://www.maharajaliverpool.co.uk/

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Real ale pubs - but not full of beards and sandals!

Peter Kavanagh,s in Egerton St is well worth a visit good beer and a real quirky pub and a must see is the old tables which drained all the spilt beer into the cellar for re-use in Mild dont miss it !

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,215 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Real ale pubs - but not full of beards and sandals!

Ship & Mitre, Lion Tavern, Railway, Vernon Arms, Thomas Rigby's, Baltic Fleet, Bier, Liverpool One Bridewell, Excelsior, Ye Cracke, Roscoe Head, Fly In The Loaf, Pilgrim, Grapes, Belvedere, Philharmonic, Blackburn Arms, Dispensary, Baltic Fleet, Lord Warden, Head of Steam..................................... ;-)

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Real ale pubs - but not full of beards and sandals!

Doctor Duncan's near Lime Street railway station then onto Sultan's Palace a few steps away for a fine Indian meal.

Doctor Duncan introduced the idea of Public Health during the days of poor public health in Liverpool.

Some good pubs mentioned in all the posts

So much beer so little time

No matter which ones that you go into you will have a great time.

I also like the Caernarvon Castle just off Church Street (near Marks ans Spencers) always full of Liverpool 'characters' a great 'alehouse'.

Tallinn
Level Contributor
59 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Real ale pubs - but not full of beards and sandals!

Thanks very much for all your advice. I'm getting very thirsty now!