We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liverpool Break Away - Pressie

Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Liverpool Break Away - Pressie

I was hoping to plan a 2night stay with my husband in Liverpool. I'm too late for xmas, but hoping for his birthday to have it planned. Hes a big Liverpool fan, plus I like the beatles and discovering different cities. You've probably answered this a hundred times, but can you plse recommend a reasonable, clean hotel in or near the City? And also the best way to get tickets. I know Thomas Cook sell packages, but would like to book tickets separately if possible. LFC website is just confusing me. I can't find an option to just purchase tickets. All suggestions welcome? Thank you so much.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,962 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liverpool Break Away - Pressie

First take a look at the LFC website to find out when LFC are playing at home on the date you want to travel.then you will have to get cracking as things get booked up quickly.

In my view you would be better staying near the waterfront as this is where the new Liverpool Museum is situated along with others such as Maritime Museum & Beatles all free apart from Beatles

Hotels?

Holiday inn Express Albert dock

Campanile

Ibis

Formule

Premier inn

Holiday inn crowne plaza

Jury's

There are other museums at St George's Plaza which is opposite Lime street station

The Tate modern is also on the Albert Dock Liverpool is a very compact city so you can get to all these places easily on foot

Tickets

Very difficult I have never bought tickets for LFC but I am sure some one such as Matt will be along soon and put you in the right direction I don't think that LFC sell tickets direct as they have been sold already

As a back up watching Liverpool play on TV in a Liverpool pub/sports bar surrounded by LFC fans is still going to be a great experience. Jamie Carragher has a sports bar in LiverpoolONE near the Hilton hotel- another good if expensive choice of hotel

I would reckon that would be good craic watching on TV if you couldn't get tickets

Edited: 23 December 2011, 08:07
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liverpool Break Away - Pressie

My husband is always trying to get tickets to Liverpool games and usually only has success if he uses a friends season card, if they can't get there. You may have a better chance via Thomas Cook, which I presume includes a hotel stay.

But as already suggested an alternative is watching a game in a pub, Jamie Carraghers bars are very popular, but please be careful and do not be tempted by unofficial websites, offering tickets as many are bogus, to put it nicely

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
17,260 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liverpool Break Away - Pressie

If you have a specific date in mind then I wouldn't try and attempt to just get match tickets for a game at Anfield as you will probably be disappointed and won't get the tickets.

Best option would be to go for the Thomas Cook option. The games are graded Gold, Silver and Bronze with Gold being the most expensive to see LFC v Chelsea or Arsenal, and Bronze being the cheapest to see LFC v Fulham etc

Prices vary a lot but you're looking at £400+ for the two of you for match tickets and a night in a city centre hotel.

thomascooksport.com/Football/…

I know people who have got tickets for games after a game has sold out (nearly all games sell out) but they are returned tickets that go on general sale a couple of weeks before the game. If you manage to secure these tickets the seats will, more than likely, be in different parts of the ground.

Whatever you do, don't try and get tickets from amywhere other than Liverpool Football Club or Thomas Cook Sports.

Edited: 23 December 2011, 11:12
Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Liverpool Break Away - Pressie

There's a home game (league) at the end of March we play Wigan at home (24.March), this would be easier to source tickets

although you have to contend with the hotel booking, which when Liverpool are at home, they can get booked up, so whatever weekend you choose I'd advise you to sort out your hotel ASAP

as for tickets, as other have mentioned, this is very, very difficult now, to obtain tickets from Liverpool you need to be an official member (this costs about £30 per person)

hence why people recommend trying Thomas cook, at least this way you are guaranteed tickets (the Wigan game would be easier to source tickets for)

another option for tickets is LFC corporate hospitality, this usually starts from about £99 and includes a ticket plus entry to a lounge where you can purchase food (just checked LFC web site, prices for this game start at £165, inclusive of meal & ticket)

unless you can try a local supporters club ????

also again as other have mentioned do not purchase tickets from any other source apart from either LFC or Thomas Cook

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Liverpool Break Away - Pressie

another game that might be easier to source tickets is Fulham on 14.April, kicks off at 12.45

although this is the AIntree Grand National weekend, which would make hotel rooms very difficult to get

btw, LFC hospitality prices start from £120 for this match

decisions, decisions, decisions

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Liverpool Break Away - Pressie

dont no much about footy tickets but as others have mentioned hotel prices sky rocket when liverpool play at home.....if you decide to visit our great city but can not arrange match tickets.. i would say visit when lfc are away....the hard days night hotel is a very nice hotel in the city centre with a very tastefull beatles theme...midweek you may pay £85 ish ...good luck

Edited: 23 December 2011, 15:16
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
17,260 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Liverpool Break Away - Pressie

And if you don't manage to get tickets for a game you can still go on the Anfield Stadium Tour. It costs £15.00 per adult and you can check availability here:

https:/…default.htm

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Liverpool Break Away - Pressie

If u really want to go to a match ur best bet for tickets is to get them from a local supporters club in and around Dublin b4 go.If u go to the LFC website and on the heading click on fans and then click on AIB association of international branches,scroll down to Ireland and u will find contact details for ur local clubs who have ticket allocations

Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Liverpool Break Away - Pressie

Thank you all so much for your help. I'm really looking forward to visiting your city to do all the touristy things and shop. But the main reason, I want to book is for my hubbie to see a game. My Dad is telling me to pick a decent game - but I haven't a notion of whats good or not. I presume the price will reflect this. I am going to try and contact our local club as suggested by Paul and see. This sounds a good option. If not, I'll take a look at Thomas Cook. Think its going to be an expensive break away. May start saving. We're not tied to any dates - I see theres a match on a Monday nite in Feb. That could be an option. Thanks again.

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Liverpool Break Away - Pressie

ShellyKen,

Liverpool categorise there home games like Cat A, B or C

all the categories for games are on the LFC website

it works like the Cat A games are the premium games, eg. like the top 6-8 teams in the premier league, taking into account there pulling power eg. Cat A = Man Utd, Man City, Everton, Arsenal, Spurs, etc

these games will be harder to get tickets for, also Thomas cook will charge more for these games

hence the games against Fulham or Wigan are far easier to try and get tickets and will be cheaper from Thomas cook

as for the Monday night game, its a funny one (figure of speech) as Spurs is always one of the most popular games for people applying for tickets (trust me on that) however being on a Monday night and live on TV it might just be easier to get tickets for that game

you need to apply to anyone, either the club or a local supporters club about 4-6 weeks before the game, to stand any chance