We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve 2012 in Liverpool

Como
Level Contributor
60 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Eve 2012 in Liverpool

Hi, I'll be in Liverpool for new years eve , just a couple of nights.

Any advise on where to go? We are looking fo both clubs or something like rock clubs, pubs.

Is there any area that we should avoid?

thanks and happy ny!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,234 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve 2012 in Liverpool

Head for the Swan Inn on Wood Street - it's Liverpool's only rock/heavy metal pub and has the loudest rock and metal juke box in the North West of England.

Further down on Wood Street is the Krazy House rock/metal club.

Check their website for what's happening on New Years Eve http://www.thekrazyhouse.co.uk/

Both the Swan and Krazy House are in the Concert Square area - I'd avoid everywhere else on New Years Eve in that area except the Shipping Forecast, but I doubt you'll get in there on New Years Eve.

N.WALES
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve 2012 in Liverpool

we are two couples in are late 40s coming to liverpool for new years eve staying at days inn .please could someone help out ,we are looking for a place to eat around lunch time(we had booked viva brazil heard it was great,then they rang and told us price had gone up from £13.95 to £62.oo for lunch so cancelled)anywhere nice but not to expensive.Then at night time we dont want to end up having to pay and stay in one club,we like to have a few drinks in different pubs first,will the bars in matthew street i.e irish bar be free earlier in night does anyone know.dont want to be walking about everywhere then finding its all tickets.And finally is the Reflex 80s club anygood for our age near concert square,seen a site for v.i.p tickets to that and a couple more places baa bar i think sorry for two many questions but we usually go to manchester and it was my shout this year so dont want to disapoint my friends

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,234 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve 2012 in Liverpool

That's a bit cheeky from Viva Brazil !

If you want similair food try Bem Brasil on Hanover Street on the other side of Liverpool One. The website says the lunch menu is £12.50, but I can't see any mention about puting their prices up on NY Eve.

It's about a 7 or 8 minute walk from Days Inn.

www.bembrasilrestaurants.com/conteudo.php…

Or next door to Bem Brasil is Bistro Franc or their sister restaurant, Bistro Pierre, which is actually on Button Street right next to Mathew Street.

http://www.bistropierre.com/

I'm not sure if the pubs and bars around Mathew Street will be free entry. All I do know is that it will be very busy.

Concert Square tends to attract younger people, and Baa Bar is a more studenty kind of place. But I think on NY Eve anything goes so I think a few people in their 40's should be able to get away with it ;-)

Also, Baa Bar is on the opposite side of the city centre from Mathew Street and Days Inn and will be a bit of a trek back to your hotel, especially after a few drinks, and you might find it difficult to get a taxi back in the early hours of NY Day.

N.WALES
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Eve 2012 in Liverpool

thanks matt for your info.Just a quick one in your opinion is flares a better club for us,we like all kinds of music just not house and head banging,or the reflex 80s club or is there a better one you know,many thanks

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years Eve 2012 in Liverpool

although as matt says pubs should be free entry you will find the door staff pointing you in the direction of the dreaded money bucket.... put your £1/£2 in or you " ain,t gettin in" comes out the security staffs mouth..... problem with this, is it ends up costing you a small fortune if you go on a pub crawl.... i think the council tried to ban this practice recently but it still goes on. Of course not everywhere allows this practice.

you should have not problem eating at lunchtime in the city everywhere will be open at normal prices (cant understand viva brazil.... are you sure they were not quoting an evening price?

enjoy

Edited: 10 November 2012, 14:16
liverpool
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years Eve 2012 in Liverpool

just looked at viva brazil website and yes it is the evening price that is £62 ..... i assume lunch should be standard price if they are actually opening... some places may close for lunch on new years eve just to get ready for the evening,especially in the comercial district where most will have left work

Liverpool, England...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years Eve 2012 in Liverpool

Reflex is ok, you have the younger crowd in the bar down stairs playing chart etc, Then Reflex is up stairs. It attracts a lot of hen and stags, and it is in the middle of Concert Square so if you don't like the younger crowd you could try matthew st , You have Flares which would be similar to Reflex and also a handful of other 70s & 80's bars which would normally attract an older crowd.

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years Eve 2012 in Liverpool

bars may appear to be free to get in that is if you can get past the security staff with their buckets for "staff tips" so going from bar to bar could prove expensive as per the post by purdydog above and without being ageist I really dont think Liverpool city centre on New years eve is somewhere I would want to be if I was in the late forties bracket, it will be full of a far younger age group,and think you might find it uncomfortable

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,234 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Years Eve 2012 in Liverpool

There's always the Vines "Big House" on Lime Street :-s

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Years Eve 2012 in Liverpool

<Flares plays a right mix of music these days..was in there recently, they also have a door charge...

The bouncers will be at it all over the Xmas NY period asking you to throw money in...Its like penny or pound for the guy !!!