We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for Sunday lunch please?!

Manchester
Level Contributor
440 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for Sunday lunch please?!

My friend from Ireland has just called to say she is over this weekend staying at the Adelphi as her daughter has a dance audition so she and her 13 year old daughter have time to spare on Sunday. We live in Manchester and I was thinking of driving over to Liverpool with my 12 year old daughter to have lunch with them. Any ideas what to do and where to go?

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for Sunday lunch please?!

Depends what you like to eat and how much you want to spend

but for a good selection of restaurants then just go to LiverpoolONE a brand new shopping and leisure complex

and you will find about a dozen there to suit most tastes and pockets

If you want something more specific let us know and we will point you in the right direction

Enjoy

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,223 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for Sunday lunch please?!

Liverpool One Bridewell does Sunday lunch. It's a 7 or 8 minute walk from the Adelphi straight down Ranleigh Street and Hanover Street.

http://www.liverpoolonebridewell.com/

After lunch you could go for a walk around Albert Dock and Pier Head which is only a few minutes on foot from the Bridewell.

Maybe take a ride on the ferris wheel in between Albert Dock and the Echo Arena.

www.echoarena.com/whats_on/big_wheel.asp

Edited: 09 January 2012, 16:51
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for Sunday lunch please?!

Hi Anneen

For something a bit memorable for a Sunday lunch I would strongly recommend Alma de cuba - a nightclub/restuarant in Seel Street converted from an church that used to serve Liverpools Polish community

www.alma-de-cuba.com

Would advise booking far in advance as very popular but on Sunday they have Gospel choir singing along in fantastic settings while you dine.

My second choice would be the Monro gastro-pub in nearby Duke Street

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for Sunday lunch please?!

It does depend on your budget, but I would avoid Liverpool One - it's all chain restaurants and nothing stands out as being particularly special.

Other thoughts aside from those already mentioned:

Salt House Tapas - high quality tapas

Puschka - lovely modern British

60 Hope Street - modern Britisah, and does a good varied brunch and sunday lunch menu.

The Quarter - pasta and pizza, but also mediterranean blackboard specials.

Delifonseca - good, varied, homecooking style food.

I don't know if these places are all open for Sunday lunch, but they all have websites, so you can check. They are all within 10 - 15 mins walk or so of the Adelphi.

Edited: 11 January 2012, 11:04
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,223 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for Sunday lunch please?!

Just to add to what macfarrag said about restaurants in Liverpool One:

Liverpool One Bridewell has nothing to do with Liverpool One shopping centre.

In fact, it's the brewery tap for micro-brewery Liverpool One Brewery, and the Liverpool One name refers to the postcode L1. In fact, just to confuse things, their brewery is located on Vauxhall Road in the postcode of L3. ;-)

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for Sunday lunch please?!

Marco Pierre White at Indigo Hotel , has some great offers via Lastminute.com

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for Sunday lunch please?!

Restaurant Bar & Grill do a great Sunday Lunch, thick slices of roast beef with all the trimmings is tasty.

therestaurantbarandgrill.co.uk/liverpool.html

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for Sunday lunch please?!

Depends what you like to eat and how much you want to spend was the basis of my original post.

Of course some of the restaurants mentioned below are good but not all of them. I have eaten in almost all of them myself at some point.

I still stand by my suggestion , as opposed to recommendation, for LiverpoolONE simply because of the fact that there are two young people and both families might have different views on what they would like to eat. I have also eaten in most of the restaurants in

Liverpool one ranging from the Thai restaurant Choipraya, Cafe Rouge, Pesto etc. Yes they are chains but there is something for everybody and you can decide on the day which one you fancy according to everyone's taste and budget.

Whilst I agree that they might not be up to the standard of some mentioned below I wouldn't put them into the category of 'to be avoided'

I have had a meal in at least one of those mentioned below which wasn't up to standard and cost twice as much as would be charged by a chain.

I was trying to offer a general response to a general enquiry.

Let's be honest almost every street in Liverpool City Centre contains restaurants of a high standard and isn't it great that we can have this discussion only because there are so many of hm now

Enjoy wherever you go

Manchester
Level Contributor
440 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideas for Sunday lunch please?!

Thanks to you all for your recommendations. Will be talking to Irish friends this evening to make a decision. I agree that it is more difficult with two young girls as their idea of gastronomy heaven is entirely different to mine!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideas for Sunday lunch please?!

Some Chippys are also open on a Sunday in town !!